Yoga is the essence of exercises distilled over thousands of years. It contains many intrinsic secrets that you learn when you do the asanas. You have specific exercises for different organs and body parts. Stress is one of the biggest causes for hypertension or high blood pressure. Here, we see some that eases stress and calms the mind to lower blood pressure.
Yoga asanas for high blood pressure (bp) and hypertension
Adho Mukha Svanasana – Downward Face Dog
Adho Mukha Svanasana Benefits
This is very good for stress relief. This resembles the stretch of the dog but is an inversion. It enhances blood circulation and releases the trapped stresses in the shoulders and the spine region. Due to this, the high blood pressure comes down.
Adho Mukha Svanasana steps
- Start from the table top position with legs wide as your hips.
- Walk your legs to your hands and raise your sitting bones up to the sky.
- Pull your inner core towards the tailbone.
- Press down on the ground with your hands and make your calf muscles tight.
- Feel the tension flow to the ground.
- Hold the pose for 10 seconds and then relax.
- Go back to table top position.
- Repeat as many times as needed.
When to avoid: Do not do if you have any back problems or a headache.
Baddha Konasana – Bound Angle Pose
Baddha Konasana Benefits
Stimulates the heart and abdominal organs. Stretches the inner thigh, knees, and groin. Relieves fatigue, mild depression, and anxiety.
Baddha Konasana steps
- Start in sitting position and grab your heels with your hands.
- Relax and push the thighs on the floor.
- Slowly begin the ‘butterfly’ movement by raising your knees and lowering it.
- Keep the movement under control always.
- Relax after three or four repetitions.
When to avoid: Do not do if you have back or leg injuries.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana – Bridge Pose
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana Benefits
Stretches the spine and opens the chest. It helps to calm the brain and alleviate mild depression. Helps refresh the legs and improves digestion.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana steps
- Start in supine position and raise your torso up so that your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- The body rests now on your shoulder.
- Tighten your tailbone towards the floor and feel your spine stretch.
- Interlock the fingers of your hand behind your back.
- Expand your chest.
- Relax and repeat as needed.
When to avoid: Do not do if you have neck injuries or high blood pressure.
Shavasana – Corpse Pose
This pose calms the brain and relieves depression. It is relaxing and lowers blood pressure. You get relief for your insomnia and headaches.
- Start this pose from the supine position on the yoga mat.
- Extend the legs and strengthen the calf muscles.
- Close the eyes concentrate on the breathing.
- Feel the tension pass through the hands and the leg out to the room.
- Stay in this position for 10 minutes.
When to avoid: You can do this in any situation.
Janu Sirsasana – Head-to-knee Forward Bend
Janu Sirsasana Benefits
This is calming for the brain and helps relieve mild depressions. Useful for stretching the groin, hamstrings, shoulders, and spine. It removes stress and improves digestion. It shows therapeutic effect for sinusitis, insomnia, and high blood pressure.
Janu Sirsasana steps
- Sit on the yoga mat and keep a folded blanket under your buttock.
- Keep the right sole tucked against the left leg.
- Bend down and touch the left knee with your nose or chin.
- Wrap your hand around the big toe or just grab the ankle.
- Keep the pose for 10 seconds.
- Then, come back to seated position and repeat for the other side.
When to avoid: Do not do it if you have constipation, diarrhoea, or injuries.
Uttanasana – Standing Forward Bend
Doing this pose will make remove the tension from the back, spine, and shoulder. It adds strength to the thighs and leg. It relieves the stress and gives good sleep. You will become calm.
- Begin from the table top position.
- Raise your sitting bones by moving your feet to the front.
- Keep the feet as wide as your shoulders.
- Exhale and lengthen, feel your spine stretch.
- Release the tension through the top of your head.
- Slowly come back to normal position.
When to avoid: Do not do it if you have injuries to the back or leg.
Supta Padangusthasana – Reclining Hand-To-Big-Toe Pose
Supta Padangusthasana Benefits
This pose relieves backache, improves digestion. It stimulates the prostate gland and strengthens the knee. This pose is therapeutic for infertility and flat feet. It gives you a fully calm mind.
Supta Padangusthasana steps
- Start by lying down on the mat in supine position.
- Then, loop a strap around the arch of your left foot. Inhale and straighten your knee and then pull the foot down to your body.
- Tighten your inner core and extend your thigh bone up towards the ceiling.
- Hold the pose for 10 seconds and then repeat for the other leg.
When to avoid: Do not do it if you have any injuries to the back or leg.
Viparita Karani – Legs Up the Wall Pose
Viparita Karani Benefits
You get better blood flow and relaxation when you do this pose. This will help you get rid of swollen ankles and varicose veins. It helps in testicular and ovarian problems.
Viparita Karani steps
- Start from the supine position on the mat.
- Bend your knees and push up with hands and feet so that the legs go up in the air.
- For better support, use a wall.
- Now, put your hands under your hips and push so that your legs are pointing to the sky.
- Keep the pose for 10 seconds or longer.
- Put the legs down and relax.
When to avoid: Do not do it if you have injury to the back, spine, or the legs.
Vajrasana – Diamond Pose
Calms the mood and bring stability to the mind. Gets rid of back pain and cures stomach disorders. You can tackle gas problems and obesity through this pose.
- Sit on your heels and place your hands on your thighs.
- You must practice this asana right after lunch or dinner.
- Close your eyes and keep the spine straight.
- Inhale and exhale and as you exhale think of the disorders in your body flowing out through your nostril.
- Do this for 5 minutes and then take a break.
- You can increase it to 15 minutes after you become thorough with the asana.
When to avoid: Do not do it if you have injuries to the leg.
Paschimottanasana – Seated Forward Bend
This yoga removes anxiety and stress. Decreases the fat in the abdomen and enhances sexual power. Stretches the spine and helps one to grow tall. The pose removes stress and gives your mind a calm disposition.
- Sit on your yoga mat and take hold of the big toe of the foot with the thumb, index, and middle fingers of your hand.
- If you find this difficult, hold your shin or ankle with your hand.
- Bend the hand so that the elbows touch the floor.
- Exhale and hold the position for at least 10 seconds.
- Then, go back to sitting position and repeat as many times as needed.
When to avoid: Do not do it if you have high blood pressure or back injury.
All the exercises are beneficial, but it may not be evident immediately. Persist with the yoga asanas for some time, and you will get the benefit. Stop if you feel any discomfort and consult your yoga guru.