The way to perfect is through yoga. Yoga for arthritis may sound trite, but you have very specialized exercises for each part of the body and organ. You can cure many ailments such as arthritis pain, knee & joint pain or at least get relief through yoga. Here are the best ones for arthritis cure.
Yoga asanas for arthritis and inflammation of joints
Cow angry cat pose – Marjaryasana Bitilasana
Marjaryasana Bitilasana steps
- Start by dropping on all fours with your hips above your knees and your shoulder above your hands.
- First, go into the cow pose. Inhale and drop your belly to the mat. Lift your chin and gaze up at the ceiling.
- Make your shoulders broad and draw your shoulders away from your ears.
- Tighten your stomach muscles and pull your belly button down to your tailbone.
- Hold the pose for a couple of seconds. Now relax and go into the angry cat pose.
- Exhale and draw your stomach inward.
- Raise your spine upwards to the roof. Release your crown of the head down and drop it between your hands.
- Tighten your thighs and leg muscles. Avoid poking your chin into your chest. Keep your gaze neutral.
- Go back to cow pose as you inhale. After that, go to cat pose as you exhale.
- Do the asanas for 10-12 cycles. Then, relax by sitting on your heels and keeping your torso upright. Keep your hand on your thighs.
Benefits of Marjaryasana Bitilasana
Opens the chest and strengthens the abdominal organs. The spinal movement stimulates the adrenal glands and the kidneys. The breathing in this asana helps you dispel the stress. It is good for relieving the pain of all kinds including that of arthritis.
When to avoid: Avoid this if you are pregnant or have neck injuries.
Trikonasana – Triangle pose
- Stand up straight with your hands outstretched and your legs apart. Your palms face forward, and your heels point slightly out.
- Turn your toes to one side, say the right, and turn your right heel more.
- Bend at the hip to the right. Lower your arm towards the leg.
- Look at the other hand which is now pointed upward.
- Try not to press on the floor and breathe evenly.
- Your hips should not move backward or forward. Keep it right above your foot.
- Hold the pose for 5 seconds. Now come back to the standing position as you exhale.
- Repeat for the other side.
Benefits of Trikonasana
This asana is made for those suffering from arthritis and joint pains. It gives strength to ankles, knees, and legs and opens the chest. This pose improves digestion and enhances the metabolic rate. It reduces anxiety and thereby helps decrease acidity levels.
When to avoid: Avoid this if you have a blood pressure problem (either low or high). Also, avoid it if you have migraines, diarrhea, or injury to the back, leg, or hands.
Vriksha asana steps
- Stand with the legs together and hands by your side.
- Tilt to one side so that there is more weight on one leg, say the right leg.
- Raise the left leg by pointing it outwards and to your left side and bend it at the knee.
- Place the left heel above the right knee such that it points downwards.
- Raise your hands up and place your palms together. Draw in your stomach and pull the shoulder blades back.
- Pull your belly button towards your tailbone.
- Keep your buttocks over your foot always, so you maintain your balance.
- Now, repeat for the other leg.
Benefits of Vriksha asana
This asana is good for the muscles and the joints. It benefits those who suffer from arthritis. It adds strength to hands, elbows joints, toes, knees, and hip. By increasing the flow of blood around the affected joint, it enhances the healing and reduced pain. It tones up the muscles of the stomach and abdomen.
When to avoid: Avoid this if you have a knee or back injury.
Also Read: Yoga poses for healthy kidney
Method of doing Pelvic tilt
- Lie down on the floor and bring your legs up to your buttocks. Bend them at the knee so that your heels are below your knees.
- Keep your hand by your sides.
- Now raise your hip and press your buttock down.
- From this position, raise your tailbone off the floor by pressing on the floor with the soles of your feet.
- Lower your hip but do not touch the floor. Raise you buttock again into the air and hold for a moment. Repeat this, three or four times. Now, you can rest your tailbone on the floor mat.
- Repeat the entire cycle 20 times.
Pelvic tilt Benefits
This asana helps to massage the abdominal organs gently. It adds to the core strength and helps you relieve stress. It helps arthritis patients develop a stable rhythm. This will reduce the pain and swelling. It helps stabilize your rhythm and improve your confidence.
When to avoid: Avoid this if you have a back injury or have any injuries to the hip.
Also read: Home remedies for arthritis in hands
Setu bandhasana – Bridge pose
Setu bandhasana steps
- Lie flat on the yoga mat and bend your legs at the knees.
- Tighten your core and press down on the floor with your hands.
- Raise your buttocks in the air keeping your body straight.
- Do not lift your head or shoulders off the floor.
- Once the body is straight, and you are resting on your head and legs, maintain the pose for a couple of seconds.
- Slowly lower the buttocks back to the floor mat again.
- Keep the heel firmly on the floor all the time.
- Repeat 20 times without resting for more than a second between repetitions.
Benefits of Setu bandhasana
This helps mobilize the joints in your hip and spine. It relieves pain and stiffness and resolves disorders with this region. It relaxes the mind and improves digestion. You get better posture, and this helps your self-confidence.
Also Read: Best natural anti-inflammatory spices
When to avoid: Avoid this asana if you have any knee or back injuries.
The term yoga stands for bring together – the mind, the body, and the spirit. Many believe that yoga for arthritis cure is difficult, but the converse is true. The simplicity of yoga makes it an important tool for everyone who value physical fitness. However, it is a slow, enjoyable form of exercise. If you feel uneasiness or pain at any stage, discontinue the exercise and consult your doctor or yoga teacher.