Most people are mosquito magnets and suffer immensely once the mosquito season begins. Come summer, and you must arm yourself against the insufferable mosquitoes. The most popular mosquito repellents have DEET. This is diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET) has some side effects and people prefer to use natural repellents because of that.
Some people are more prone to mosquito bites
Mosquito bites make the skin bumpy and itchy. But, you must have noticed how mosquitoes favor some people more than the others. There is a reason for this. There are several theories put forward and here are some of them.
- You sweat too much.
- Mosquitoes bite people who make more noise.
- Mosquito likes people who drink alcohol.
- They are attracted by blood group type O.
Tips to avoid mosquito bites
- Check the surroundings for standing water.
- Use light clothing.
- Choose insects and creatures that feed on mosquitoes.
- Avoid the peak mosquito times.
- Use mosquito repellents such as essential oil always.
- Change the layout of your garden.
- Plant herbs.
- Place dried herbs in strategic places in the garden.
- Make insect repellents.
- Plant strategic herbs at the entrances.
- Put some essential oil with your clothes.
Mosquitoes spread many diseases such as yellow fever, malaria, dengue, and much more. They lay their eggs in the stagnant waters around the house. This is their breeding ground.
Also Read: Dengue home remedies
Effective natural mosquito repellent
This is a herb with a great mosquito repellent action. The active ingredient in catnip is nepetalactone that is non-toxic to humans. However, cats show some reaction to this herb. Study of the catnip as a mosquito repellent showed that it had 10 times the effectiveness as DEET sprays.
- Tie up some of the catnip leaves in small porous bags.
- Leave these bags in different corners of the house. They stay effective for 2-3 days.
- After that, change the leaves in the bag.
- You can also boil some of the leaves in water and then use the decoction as a spray. You will need about 1 tablespoon of leaves in 2 cups of water. Boil for 5 minutes.
Mosquitoes are highly allergic to garlic. You can eat the garlic or spray it where the mosquito congregation comes in large numbers.
The Indian lilac, neem is a wonderful mosquito repellent. The dominant mosquito deterrents in neem are volatile compounds. The effectiveness of neem oil against mosquito bites was 70%. The effect lasts up to 3 hours.
- You need to dilute neem oil with a suitable carrier oil in the ratio 1:4 and carry it in a spray bottle.
- Alternatively, you can mix neem oil with water and fill it in a spray bottle. Spray this in the places where the mosquitoes abound.
- Some people use the smoke of neem leaves. Burn the leaves of the neem in the room where you have the most number of insects. Keep the door closed for 20 minutes. The mosquitoes will all drop dead.
The black pepper extract in a solvent of alcohol is found it to be effective in controlling the mosquitoes. You can also use the essential oil of black pepper and mix it with other essential oils such as rosemary oil or peppermint oil.
Lotus helps kill mosquito larvae and repel mosquitoes. People grow the lotus in their backyard ponds to help keep the place free from mosquitoes.
This is a type of alcohol used as a fragrance or flavour. We get this from plants such as lemongrass plant benefits and rose. It has the mosquito repelling effect for two hours.
Another herb that has good mosquito repelling properties is thyme. The phytochemicals in this aromatic herb effectively battle the mosquitoes. The protection percentage was 91 when they used a 5% concentrated spray.
They are perfectly easy to use:
- Just crush some leaves in your hands and put some crushed leaves on your clothes.
- Alternatively, you can make a mix with olive or jojoba oil. Put 5 drops of thyme essential oil in 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil. Dab this on your skin when you want protection from the mosquitoes.
Cinnamon oil has a great smell and is a very environment-friendly insecticide. It has more effectiveness than DEET mosquito repellents. Cinnamon oil is great at repelling adult mosquitoes and kills the mosquito eggs. It is especially effective against Asian tiger mosquito.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon cinnamon oil in 1 cup of water and put this into a spray bottle. Use the spray on the clothes and cupboards.
- You can use any essential oil as a carrier oil instead of water. This will increase the effectiveness of the cinnamon oil.
Also Read: Benefits of cinnamon
This has effective essential oils that help work as a mosquito repellent. Peel a stalk of the grass and rub the crushed stalk on your skin. This will act as a deterrent for the mosquitoes.
Lavender is a herb with a beautiful smell and wonderful mosquito repelling properties. It is an analgesic, antiseptic and insecticidal. It has soothing properties, and it can prevent mosquito bites. The usual practice is to apply a few drops of the lavender essential oil to the temples when you need it. However, some people may be allergic to the oil, and so a patch test must be done before you begin to use it regularly. Alternately, dip some cotton balls in lavender essential oil and place them around the house. This will prevent the mosquitoes from invading your house. You can also grow lavender in your garden as this will prevent the invaders from coming into your house.
Most of the mosquito repellents are safe and do not produce any side effects. Do not use any mosquito repellent that comes your way. Be sure that it does not cause any harmful reaction on your skin. If it is there, change the repellent immediately.