Tonsils or Tonsillitis is the condition where your tonsils remain inflamed. Tonsils are the lymph nodes located on either side of the throat and shaped like almonds. This condition is very common in children though adults too sometimes become infected. In this article, we will talk about home remedies for tonsils.
The tonsils prevent infections by trapping the pathogens coming through the nasal passages. But, occasionally, they too become infected by the pathogens they trap.
Tonsillitis is a contagious disease and spreads quickly. One must take treatment fast. One must avoid social contact while one is still infected.
The most common cause for tonsillitis is a virus. In some cases, the cause for tonsillitis maybe bacteria. Group A beta-haemolytic streptococcus is the main cause of this ailment. This bacterium also causes strep throat.
There are instances where the infection is caused by a fungus. In normal people with a healthy immune system, this type of infection is rare. But, there always is the possibility that one could be infected by a fungus or parasite.
The symptoms appear 2-5 days after one has close contact with the people who are infected. The pathogens are passed into the air that they breathe. When you come close to them and breathe the same air, the pathogens pass into your air passages, and you get tonsillitis.
The symptoms of tonsillitis are standard. You might show one or more of the following signs:
- Throat and jaw remain tender when you touch them.
- Bad breath
- Ear pain
- Abdominal pain
- Runny nose
- Raw bleeding patches on the tonsils
- Sore throat
- The lymph nodes in the neck remain inflamed
- Redness and tearing of the eye
- Nasal congestion
- Pain while swallowing
- Fever and chills
- Tonsils are swollen and inflamed
- The tonsils area becomes red and inflamed
- Hoarse voice – loss of voice
Viral infections are known to cause cold symptoms (nasal congestion, sneezing coughing, runny nose) along with sore throat. So, your sore throat is mostly due to a virus. All the kinds of viral infections will last only for two weeks. They usually disappear without the need for medication.
Natural Home Remedies for Tonsils
Having a wide range of antimicrobial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties, the Bee Propolis made by the bees finds use in treating many ailments such as tonsillitis. One of the many uses is that of a mouth disinfectant. The bee glue limits the growth of bacteria and fungus in the mouth. It soothes the irritation in the throat.
- Mix one teaspoon of bee propolis in one glass of water and use it for gargling. Do this in the morning and day. Buy Bee Propolis
The fenugreek seeds have mucilage that covers the throat and promotes the healing process for tonsillitis. It helps flush out toxins and cure fevers. One must soak the fenugreek seeds in water as this makes the outer skin of the seeds mucilaginous.
- Crush one teaspoon of the soaked seeds and add a teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of lemon. It has an abundance of saponins that is a fibre.
The gingerol in ginger has wonderful medicinal properties. One of the properties is the anti-inflammatory effect. It helps fight infections and is very effective against oral bacteria. It is useful for treating tonsillitis, gingivitis, and periodontitis.
- Crush and extract the juice of ginger and store in a bottle. Use one teaspoon twice a day. You can add one teaspoon of honey if you like.
An infusion of either dried or fresh turmeric is made with milk. Apart from building body immunity, turmeric is helpful for fighting colds, coughs, and other infections such as tonsillitis. It flushes out microbes present in the respiratory tract.
- Grind a one-inch piece of turmeric to a paste and mix it in one glass of milk. Have this in the morning and evening.
Apart from containing almost all the daily mineral requirements, mustard powder has phytonutrients and antioxidants. The amino acid cysteine present in mustard protects the body from harmful compounds that damage the cell membranes and the DNA. People suffering from bronchitis, influenza, tonsillitis, and similar conditions can get relief by having mustard decoction as it soothes the throat. Check natural remedies for bronchitis.
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of mustard seeds powder and boil it in water. Drain and cool. Have this water twice a day. Buy Mustard Powder 100Gm Pet Jar
Lemon flushes toxins from the body. It is rich in Vitamin C, minerals, and pectin fibre. It sustains the immune system and relieves you from all kinds of infections. Lemon prevents the growth of bacteria that is responsible for mouth infections such as tonsillitis.
- Squeeze two lemons and take the juice in a cup. Add a pinch of turmeric and two spoons of honey. Mix and store. Have two teaspoons twice a day.
Onion in A is a sulphur containing compound that prevents inflammation. It is a common cure for sore throats, common cold, tonsillitis, and allergies. The antioxidants, sulphur-containing compounds, and organic acids have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It has phytochemicals and Vitamin C that improves immunity.
- Grind two onions to make a juice. Mix with a glass of warm water and have it twice a day.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar drink is a versatile kitchen helper cures many things from hiccups to coughs and colds. It is an effective method of getting relief from tonsillitis because of its antibiotic property.
- Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Have this twice a day.
The chamomile tea has anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties which helps alleviates skin irritations such as acne and eczema. It helps those suffering from tonsillitis and has a soothing effect on the throat.
- Prepare a decoction from the leaves, roots, and stem of the chamomile plant. Have two spoons of this twice a day. Buy Chamomile Infusion Tea
This is the simplest and most practical solution for tonsils. It helps fight the infections, removes unwanted mucous, and neutralizes the acid. It helps alleviate a sore throat and irritation from tonsillitis. This is due to the anti-bacterial property of the saltwater.
Dos and Don’ts
Ice cream, popsicles, soups, and broths help ease the itching and relieve the pain at least momentarily. In addition, the cold numbs the throat helping to relieve your pain. Avoid spicy food that irritates the throat.
This is not a life-threatening condition. Left untreated, tonsillitis disappears on its own within a few days. Be careful not to spread it around by avoiding meeting people until the condition passes. If the pain persists for more than four days, you must see your physician and get his advice.