Just like the natural wonders like the gravity or the Bermuda Triangle still tease our grey cells and we, till date, haven’t got any convincing explanation about their existence, similarly the question – “Why do we sleep?” is something to which we still haven’t got any clear answer. Thus, it is said that sleeping is one of the greatest mysteries of life. In this article, we will talk about sleep disorder, its causes, effects and natural tips to control it.
But a good night’s sleep is the cornerstone of a healthy life. Our health can go through many serious implications if we get too little or too much sleep. For most adults, six to eight hours of sleep is absolutely essential and is said to be the optimal amount required for proper functioning of the body.
Do you face trouble in falling asleep? Do you have to struggle daily for your sleep? Or do you wake up in the morning feeling that you haven’t slept at all? Do you keep waking up at night? Or do you behave strangely in your sleep? Do you feel worn out almost every day?
A recent study has revealed that more than 93 percent of Indians suffer from some kind of Sleep Disorder and are sleep deprived. This is a scary figure and should be addressed immediately to ensure that we lead a healthy and happy life.
Effects of Sleep Disorders
Sleep Disorder or sleep deprivation happens to be such a chronic and serious condition that you may be even oblivion of the fact that you suffer from it. But you must keep it in mind that sleep deficit can have far-reaching repercussions on your health.
Here are some of the consequences that you may face from sleep deprivation:
- Accelerated growth of tumour – with sleep dysfunctions, tumour growth can be accelerated to a much greater extent. When tested with laboratory animals, they have grown three to four times for those animals that are sleep deprived. Find natural food to prevent tumour.
- This also weakens your capability of physical or mental abilities and your problem solving ability also gets impacted.
- This can cause a pre-diabetic situation where you feel hungry even after eating which can induce dramatic weight gain.
- Your immune system gets weakened drastically.
- It impairs your thinking capability. Even if you sleep for four to six hours you will find it difficult to think the next day.
- Less melatonin (antioxidant and a hormone) is produced by the body when your circadian cycle is disrupted. This is the reason why tumours also grow faster.
There can also be some stress-related issues that can be caused by sleep deprivation like the following –
- Stomach Ulcers
- Heart Disease
- Depression and Mood Disorders
Also check: Home remedies for insomnia
Not only that, sleep deprivation interferes with the production of a particular type of hormone that is normally released by your pituitary gland when you are in deep sleep. This is the growth hormone that helps you feel and look fresher. As a result of that, you also age faster.
But do not worry! There are some natural techniques by adopting which you can restore the desired amount of sleep and maintain your health.
Tips to Enhance Your Sleep Sanctuary
Here are some tips that will help you deal with your sleep deprivation issue and gradually build your way back to a sound sleep at night so that you can wake up to a fresh and energetic morning.
- Eat Right at Night – Refrain from having very big meals or too heavy meals at night. Your digestive system is affected by it that plays a vital role on how well you sleep. Instead, you should go for a light evening snack of crackers and cheese or that of milk and cereal. Also make sure that you complete the dinner about an hour before you go to sleep.
- Try to Sleep in Complete Darkness – The predictable light and darkness pattern is called the circadian rhythm. It is on this basis that your inner body clock or biological clock actually works. That is why keep it in mind that even the slightest light in your room can disturb the pattern of your interior clock and the serotonin and melatonin production of the pineal gland. Even the light of your clock radio can cause disruption. That is why you should refrain from any kind of light in your bedroom. This will also reduce your Cancer risk to a great extent.
- Get Rid of Any Electromagnetic Fields in Your Bedroom – This is capable of disrupting the production of the serotonin and melatonin hormones by the pineal glands and also have other adverse effects on our body. For this, you need a gauss meter that you can easily find online once you start looking out for it. In fact, some experts suggest that you pull the circuit breaker before going to bed for killing all power in the house.
- Work Out in the Right Way – You will get a better sleep if you go ahead and do regular exercise. You can go for gentle mind and body workouts like tai chi or yoga just before sleeping. For any other forms, you should ensure that you get it done about 3-4 hours before retiring to bed so that post workout burst of energy do not keep you awake for a long time.
- Reserve Your Bed Just for Sleeping – If you sit on your bed for watching TV or doing work then you may find it difficult to fall asleep there. That is why you should always try and keep away from your bed during these activities.
- Put Your Neck in the Neutral Position – If you wake up with a stiff neck then, without any doubt, your pillow is responsible for it. Your pillow should not be too flat nor should it be too fat! Your pillow supports the natural curve of your neck. You should line up the nose with the central position of your body. If you snooze your tummy your neck may get twisted. Don’t watch TV craning your neck. You should ensure good posture of your body even when sleeping.
The above are some the things that you should keep in mind and try to follow in order to control your problem of Sleep Disorder. Now that you know the great number of people who are affected by it and the grave consequences that this can lead to, you should not take this condition lightly and make every effort to restore a peaceful and sound sleep for a healthy body and mind.