Stomach pain is defined as discomfort condition of the stomach and the intestine ranging from mild uneasiness to severe pain. These occur due to a range of medical conditions and the pain may be throbbing, pulsing, or burning. In this article, we will talk about home remedies for stomach pain relief.
Stomach pain is the symptom of the underlying medical condition. It is mainly not serious and can be treated easily. At times, the stomach pain may be a sign of a really serious disease that you must treat immediately.
Stomach Pain Causes
Most of the causes are readily recognizable and easily treated. These may be due to disease, infections, personal indisposition, abdominal pain, stomach cramps, or something deeper. Here is the list of the common reasons for upset stomach.
- Food poisoning
- Gall stones
- Stomach virus
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Kidney stones
- Menstrual cramp
- Gastric reflux
- Urinary tract infection
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lactose intolerance
- Food allergies
At times, the stomach pain may result from what you ate. Or, it may be a side-effect of an accompanying disease or illness. You must know when you must ignore it and when to take it seriously and get treatment.
Also read: Stomach ulcer treatment at home
Symptoms of Stomach Pain
Other than the pain in the stomach and the uneasiness, there is the trouble with eating and digestion. At times, you develop fever and have difficulty even touching the food at meal times.
- Inability to keep the food down.
- Abdomen pain – remains tender to touch.
- Difficulty passing stools – sometimes due to vomiting.
- Some signs of dehydration.
- Pain that lasts for more than a couple of hours.
- Painful and frequent urination.
Due to the presence of many alternatives as the cause of the stomach pain the doctor will conduct a thorough examination before he begins the treatment. He will want to know what kind of pain you are experiencing and where this pain is located.
Also read: Intestinal tuberculosis home remedies
Top 10 Natural home remedies for stomach pain
1. Alcoholic bitters for upset stomach
Surprising as it, alcoholic bitters can actually relieve stomach pain. This is because the bitters have many spices that have good nutritive value. These spices include cinnamon, ginger, fennel, and mint, all of which help ease the stomach pain.
- Put five to six drops of the bitters in a glass. Add club soda to the brim. Have this and wait for one hour. You will definitely feel better.
2. Prune juice as stomach pain medicine
In many cases, constipation is the cause of the stomach complaint. If this is so, the pain will come from the lower part of your abdomen. You might experience an occasional ‘gurgling,’ and the pain will seem to shift to one side. Use any laxative such as prune juice. Find how to get rid of constipation immediately.
- Take one half glass of prune juice. Have it when you feel the pain.
3. Chamomile tea
There is a chance that your pain is due to gastric indigestion or gastritis. In this case, chamomile tea will soothe the pain by acting as an anti-inflammatory agent. The chamomile tea eases the muscles of the stomach and the oesophagus.
It makes the contraction that push the food along lesser and thereby ease any cramps you feel. Ginger does the same thing and that is why one finds ginger in many home remedies.
- Use the flowers and leaves of the chamomile plant to make tea. Drink this tea when you begin to feel the pain.
4. Peppermint and ginger
Peppermint is great for a few digestive complaints such as gas or indigestion but aggravates certain other instances such as heartburn. Pain occurs in the colon because you ate mustard or chili.
Peppermint helps by activating an anti-pain channel in the colon. This is especially useful for complaints such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Ginger helps remove pain due to muscle contractions. This is one of the best home remedies for stomach pain.
- Take 10-15 leaves of peppermint and 1-inch piece of ginger. Grind it to a paste.
- Put this in two glasses of water. Bring to boil. Strain and let it cool.
- In another glass take two teaspoons of honey. Add half a glass of the mixture.
- Have this as the pain begins.
Also read: Top 9 superfoods to improve digestion
5. Rice water
This is one of the best home remedies for stomach pain when you have irritation in the stomach. The rice water forms a coating on the lining and soothes the irritation.
- Cook rice as usual but with twice the amount of water.
- Filter some of the water and pour into a glass.
- Have this water and check whether the stomach ache subsides.
6. Apple cider vinegar
This is one of the most popular home remedies for upset stomach when the cause of the pain is due to gastric reflux. Having apple cider benefits will help to restore the acidity levels in the stomach.
- Take 4-5 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass.
- Add three or four drops of honey.
- Add some water if needed.
- Have this, to get relief from your stomach pain.
7. Lemon juice
In the case, you must move things along in the stomach, that is get more gastric juices in the colon, you must try this remedy. The lemon juice will increase the amount of gastric juice and the undigested food will begin to move along.
- Take some water and boil it.
- Add half-a-lemon to this.
- Add two – three teaspoons of honey.
Also Read: Lemon water benefits
8. Choose tasteless foods
If you have hunger, but you have a stomach pain too, you can choose to eat bland food. This consist of rice, banana, or toast. It will provide the nutrition but avoid over-stimulating the digestive system.
- Have food as usual.
9. Use a hot compress
At times, just a hot compress will do wonders. Use a sand bag for the purpose or use a hot-water bottle. Keep on the troubled area for a while. You will find relief in a while.
- Drink and eat as usual unless you have no appetite.
10. Baking soda
- Take ½ teaspoon in half a glass of water.
- Wait for two hours. Take another dose of ½ teaspoon in half a glass of water.
- Do not have more than 4 glass of the baking soda water.
Important points to note:
At times, the ailment can turn dangerous. One has to seek medical help when you see blood in the stools, or you vomit blood. When there is breathing trouble, it shows that something is seriously wrong.
So, while stomach pains resolve themselves without any medical intervention, it is always safe to study the conditions and find out if the situation is serious or not. Take action if things are serious. Follow these home remedies for stomach pain and stay healthy.