Semecarpus Anacardium or Bhallataka is a medium-to-large sized deciduous tree that grows up to 25-30 meters in height. Leaves remain simple alternate, oblong, rounded at the apex glabrous above and pubescent beneath. The flowers appear in panicles that remain greenish-white in color. Flowering occurs in May and June. The nut is smooth, ovoid, and lustrous black. They appear from December to March. The fruit is a drupe 1-inch long.
Common names of Semecarpus Anacardium plant
The common name is Dhobi nut tree and marking nut tree. In Hindi, they call it Belatak, and Bibba.
Botanical name and family
The botanical name for this plant is Semecarpus Anacardium. It belongs to the Anacardiaceae family.
Geological places where Bhallataka grows
This is native to India. It grows in the coastal region from the Himalaya to the Coromandel Coast. It grows above the 3500 feet elevation. In India, you can find this tree in Bengal, Chittagong, Orissa, Bihar, and Assam. You can find it growing in the western peninsula of Eastern Archipelago and Northern Australia.
Medicinal uses of Semecarpus Anacardium
Being highly toxic, the seeds used for the medicinal use must undergo shodana (purification). They soak the seeds in water and they take those that sink to the bottom. They cut these nuts into two and soak them in brick powder. The toxic oils come out and the nuts become suitable for use in medicine. This is the process of Bhallataka shodana.
- Kindle the digestive fire: It helps the digestive process and lights the internal fires. Bhallataka removes all problems associated with digestion. It helps stabilize the stomach and makes the digestive juices flow. You get instant relief from dyspepsia.
- Strengthen the lungs: For those with weak lungs, the use of Bhallataka helps very much. It improves the breathing by making the lungs strong.
- Fights inflammation: You feel the action of Semecarpus Anacardium in the way it fights inflammation in the body. Those with gout and arthritis get relief from the pain and inflammation by using Semecarpus Anacardium.
- Improve the reproductive system: The tonic prepared from Bhallataka proves a veritable tonic for improving the sexual health. People who are not performing well can become virile and productive again by having the Bhallataka health tonic.
- Good health medicine for clearing toxins: You may clear all the body toxins by having a regular dose of the extract of Semecarpus Anacardium. It breaks the breaks the toxins and flushes them out of the body. Have the decoction prepared with Semecarpus Anacardium early in the morning on an empty stomach for best results.
- Clears skin conditions: If you want to get relief from any skin condition, you may use the paste of Marking nut. Apply the paste on the skin and leave it for half an hour. Do this daily for two weeks, and you will get relief. You can treat allergic dermatitis with the fruit juice. For leucoderma, apply the paste of the fruit on the skin. Use it for two weeks, and you will see a good change. If your skin is scaly, you can apply the juice of the fruit on the skin and soon the skin becomes soft and smooth. You can also use it for treating leprosy.
- Use as an aphrodisiac: The use of Bhallataka helps to elevate the mood. You can prepare a decoction of Bhallataka and have it before you go to bed to get into a good mood.
- Increase the semen: The semen count will increase, and the motility of the sperms will improve by having Bhallataka. This is one of the best remedies for impotence.
- Relief for piles: The people who suffer from piles will get relief if they use Semecarpus Anacardium. The Semecarpus Anacardium plant helps to improve the condition by softening the stools and improving bowel movement. Find piles home remedies.
- Use as an antidote: The fruit extract proves useful for treating snake bites. Give the person the fruit extract to drink and apply it on the skin bite also.
- Rejuvenate kapha: By eating the marking nut fruit, you may remove every kapha dosha in the body. No dosha will remain once you have eaten this fruit. However, one must eat in moderation as the excessive consumption will lead to problems such as abortion in pregnant ladies.
- Birth control device: The seeds of the Bhallataka known as godambi helps act as a birth control device for women.
- Destroys worms in the intestine: Boil some of the fruit in water and have it in the morning. Do this for one week, and the worms will soon disappear.
- Reduce urine flow: For those who have problems with excessive urination, the use of the fruit will help reduce the urination. Have the fruit in the morning with tea and you will notice a reduction in the symptoms within a few days.
- Good expectorant: The use of the crushed fruits of this plant helps to relieve the symptoms of a cough and cold. Drink the decoction prepared from the crushed fruits in water, and you will soon become relieved of your cough and cold.
- Anti-hemorrhoidal nature: The Semecarpus Anacardium shows good property of controlling bleeding.
- Anti-diarrheal nature: By having the fruit often, you can prevent the onset of any attacks of diarrhea.
- Good for tumors: The action of the marking nut tree on the tumors helps to prevent the growth and prevent any recurrence of a tumour.
- Relief from pain: Apply the paste of the fruit on the skin wounds to get relief from pain.
- Cure for ascites: When you have abnormal accumulation of fluids in the abdominal cavity, you can use Bhallataka fruit to cure it. Eat the fruit once in the morning daily until you get relief.
- Use specific combinations: For instance, you should use Amalaki, frankincense, and turmeric with the Semecarpus Anacardium fruit for arthritis. For skin diseases, use turmeric, manjishtha,and bakuchi along with the fruit.
There are no known side effects of reaction to the drug or herb. But, one must take Semecarpus Anacardium herb only under the supervision of a medical practitioner. This is due to the anacardic acids that have an allergenic nature. One must increase Bhallataka dosage slowly starting from small doses first. You must take this dose (between 250 mg – 6 grams) with warm milk.