The Sandalwood tree is an evergreen tree that grows 4-9 metres in height. It is hemi-parasitic and can live with over 300 species as co-hosts. It has an upright or sprawling habit. The bark is dark, reddish, or brown.
The leaves are thin, oval to lanceolate in shape, and opposite. The branches are glabrous with a shiny, green surface. The roots form a non-obligate relationship with other plants but does not cause damage to the host tree.
Santalum album wood is aromatic and produces oil. The flowers are purple in colour. Fruit is produced after 3 years. The propagation of the seeds is done by birds. The oil of the sandalwood tree finds extensive use in medicine.
The main chemical components of sandalwood oil are santalene, santyl acetate, and santalol.
This plant has the common name Indian Sandalwood.
Botanical name or family
The botanical name of this plant is Santalum album. It belongs to the Santalaceae family.
Geological area where Sandalwood trees grow
It grows natively in China, India (Karnataka and Tamil Nadu), Philippines, Indonesia, and parts of Northern Australia.
Medicinal use of Sandalwood in different disease
- Headache and fever: Apply a little sandalwood oil on the temples. This will bring the fever down. It also helps get rid of headaches.
- Astringent: Due to this property, the Santalum album is much respected in the world of beauty care. People use it to rejuvenate their skin and maintain a fragrant outlook. You can use it in the form of a paste or as oil.
- Inflammation of the pharynx: Sandalwood oil has a soothing effect on the mucous membranes. So, it finds extensive use in the treatment of ailments affecting the airways and the pharynx.
- Gastric irritability: The Santalum album finds much use for treating gas complaints. For treating the gas complaints, prepare a mixture of the wood emulsion with water and honey. Mix it with rice water and sugar. Take this orally twice a day.
- Anti-spasmodic: People use the sandalwood oil and paste for those who have spasms.
- Use for prickly heat and excessive sweating: People have to use sandalwood powder and oil as a treatment for prickly heat for a long time. You can stop excessive sweating too using Santalum album.
- Heart ailments: The Santalum album has a soothing effect that makes the mind peaceful. This helps reduce the tensions and thus helps heart health.
- Aids digestion: This boosts the digestive process. By improving the rate of metabolism, the person feels good hunger and quick digestive action.
- Dysentery: One can treat dysentery effectively using sandalwood. Use Santalum album to prepare an emulsion with rice water, water, sugar, and honey. Use this mixture twice a day.
- Antiseptic properties: It has natural antiseptic properties. People use this wood in various forms such as oil, powder, and emulsion to keep themselves free from germs and bacteria.
- Infections of the urinary tract: The sandalwood paste is capable of curing an infection of the urinary tract. Breathe in the vapours coming from sandalwood in warm water. You can also have a mixture of sandalwood powder mixed with milk, sugar, and honey.
- Good for the nervous system: The soothing effect caused by this plant helps to relax the nerves. This helps the nerves become strong.
- Inflammation of the liver: Santalum album shows good supportive action for the health of the liver. Use the mixture of sandalwood powder, honey, sugar, and milk for three days, two spoonful twice a day.
- Antioxidant properties: Use sandalwood to fight the free radicals and the diseases that come from free radical formation. This helps protect you from cancer, AIDS and infections.
- Aphrodisiac effect: The Santalum album shows aphrodisiac properties. This is used in aromatherapy. People light incense sticks of sandalwood paste during worship.
- Treat inflamed skin: People use it in the form of lotions and cream to treat inflamed skin.
- Rectify gall bladder complaints: Santalum album helps rejuvenate the metabolic activity. It flushes out the toxins and relieves pain and inflammation.
- Treat inflammation of the mouth: Mix a little sandalwood powder in water and use it to gargle. This helps you get rid of the bacteria in your mouth. It has a refreshing effect due to its superior aroma.
- Good for itchy eruptions: You can treat skin diseases such as erysipelas using sandalwood. Erysipelas causes inflammation of the face. You can treat prurigo, an itchy eruption also. You can use a paste of sandalwood or an emulsion as a local application on the skin.
- Analgesic: You can apply the sandalwood oil to relieve the aches and sprains in the muscles. Use a light massaging action and leave it for 5-6 hours.
- Treat scabies: One can use the oil of sandalwood to treat scabies.
- Good for pimples: Applying sandalwood powder on the face will prevent the formation of pimples. One may use it for their acne and other skin blemishes as well. Buy Sandal (chandan) Soap.
- Treat gonorrhoea: The Santalum album shows good action against gonorrhoea. Mix sandalwood powder with milk and honey and have it thrice a day.
- Use as an expectorant: Due to its soothing effect on the mucous membrane, one may use the sandalwood to help relieve symptoms of a cough and cold. Inhale the vapours of the sandalwood oil on warm water.
- Diuretic property: It stimulates the loss of water and thus flushes the internal body mechanism.
- Relief for dysuria: For people who have trouble urinating, having a preparation of sandalwood powder with milk and honey will bring relief.
- General weakness: People who have general weakness will benefit from the use of sandalwood or sandalwood oil. It raises the alertness level of the person and helps improve the rate of metabolism.
- Fights infections: It has good antibacterial properties, and so you can use it to fight infections. Apply a little sandalwood oil to your forehead, and you will be free from bacterial infections.
- Skin moisturiser: This forms the perfect moisturizer for your skin. It helps balance the oil and water in the skin. This action prevents the skin from drying. By Natural Face Night Cream, Saffron & Chandan.
- Treat cystitis: At times, the bladder may become inflamed due to infections. The antibiotic action of the sandalwood paste helps relieve the symptoms.
People having kidney disease should avoid taking sandalwood internally. It is best if children avoid the use of sandalwood products. Those who have sensitive skin might feel an irritation with the prolonged use of Santalum album products. Pregnant women should not take sandalwood internally. Always take medicine under the guidance of medical expert!