Pyria (Pyorrhea) damages the teeth and gums of the person. The immediate effect is the presence of bad breath in the mouth. As the disease progresses, the smell progresses to the entire body and the people who meet the person gets the foul smell.
The gums of the teeth become diseased and loosen. There is an accumulation of pus in the gums, and the foul odour becomes apparent both to the person and those who meet the person.
The reasons for the onset of the disease might be inherited or due to an infection or disease. It might also result from bad hygienic practices.
- Chronic constipation.
- Food that is not digested properly.
- Use of improper foods like tobacco, alcohol, and so on.
- Calcium deficiency especially when pregnant.
- Breathing with the mouth open instead of through the nostrils.
- Not cleaning the teeth.
- Hereditary reasons.
Many of the causes of this severe teeth disease can be rectified easily such as by adopting a good posture and healthy eating habits. For others, one must seek medical intervention.
There may not be pain associated with Pyria and many of the symptoms may not be outwardly visible. However, once the disease progresses the smell becomes unbearable for the person and the people near to him or her.
- Sensitivity in the teeth to hot or cold food items.
- Gums have swelling.
- Bleeding in the teeth roots.
- Tooth becomes loose.
- Foul smell in the mouth.
The bad smell in the mouth later spreads all over the skin and the entire body begins to smell bad. The loosening of the gums leads to tooth falling out. The gum develops a cavity layer. At times, you might find pus in the gums.
Also Read: Sage plant medicinal uses and benefits
Pyria home remedies
This is an age-old cure for most of the problems involving the teeth in Ayurveda. The method involves swishing gingelly oil in the mouth as soon as you get up. The oil pulls the bacteria in the mouth. Now, spit the oil out and repeat the process.
- Use only two spoons of oil at a time. Do not swallow the oil that you use to gargle.
Mustard oil with turmeric
The mixture of turmeric powder in mustard oil works well to cure Pyria. Mustard oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. The allyl isothiocyanate in the mustard oil prevents the growth of fungus. Turmeric contains powerful bio-active compounds, the most important of which is curcumin. It is a very strong antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory property.
- Take one spoonful of mustard oil to prepare a mixture with one spoon of turmeric. Use this paste on your gums before you go to sleep at night.
Use of herbal mixture
To prepare this mixture, you need these ingredients:
- Dry coriander
- Black pepper
- Rock salt
- Spiked ginger
- Smilax ovalifolia
- Papadia kattha
Grind all the ingredients together and use about 5 grams of the paste to brush your teeth twice a day.
For making the herbal toothpaste, you need khurasani, vaividang, anacyclus pyrethrum and grind it together.
- Use about 5 grams of this toothpaste twice a day.
For the gum massage, you use rock salt with mustard oil. First powder the rock salt and remove any coarse pieces.
- Take 2 grams of the rock salt powder and add 8 grams of mustard oil.
- Use this mixture to massage the teeth every night.
Onion and garlic
The allicin in garlic gives the garlic its smell and medicinal properties. It is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. Onions have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Make a paste out of two onions and 5-6 pods of garlic. Set aside.
- Put 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in this mixture. Stir properly.
- Apply this paste to the gums after dinner.
Fruits rich in Vitamin C
You can choose from citrus fruits and berries. The citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, grapefruit, and oranges have good content of Vitamin C. The berries include Blackberry, strawberry, and black currant among other fruits. If your Pyria is connected to Vitamin C deficiency, the eating adequate amounts of these fruits can offset infections and diseases of the gum and teeth.
- It is recommended you have at least 3 servings (2 cups) of chopped fruit every week.
Marjoram is the dedicated plant to the god of the underworld, Osiris and finds extensive application in preparing medicines. You must blend it with a suitable carrier oil such as chamomile oil, cypress oil, or lavender oil. You can apply it on bruises since it helps fast healing.
- Take 4 drops of marjoram oil.
- Mix it with 20 drops of lavender oil.
- Put one drop of the mixture on a cotton swab and apply on the gums before you go to sleep.
Holy basil oil
Holy basil is a useful ingredient in many Ayurvedic and folklore medicines. Among its many uses, the holy basil oil is used for skin disorders and dental problems. If you use this in the form of a dental paste, you can get relief from bad breath and Pyorrhea.
- Take 5-6 drops of mustard oil in a small dish. Powder dry basil leaves and mix this in the mustard oil.
- Use the mixture as a toothpaste for three days. Your bad breath problem will be solved.
Clove and camphor
Both clove and camphor have good anti-bacterial properties. They help fight pathogens and so you can use them to get relief for Pyria.
- Take 10 grams of cloves and 6 grams of camphor. Powder them both and mix them thoroughly.
- Take two teaspoons of mustard oil. Put the powder in this and mix to get a smooth paste. Remove any hard pieces and set aside.
- Every night, massage this mixture into your gums and you will see the results within a week.
Dos and Don’ts
- Make sure you clean the mouth properly after having food.
- Maintain good oral hygiene always.
- Do not use a hard brush for brushing your teeth.
- Do not eat food that is too hot or too cold.
If you have bleeding gums after eating or brushing, then it is possible that you have Pyria. Clean your teeth after eating since the deposition of food particles in the teeth spaces in the mouth is the main cause for Pyria.