Vaginal odor is a very common problem that most women have to deal with at least once or twice in their life. Most women are shy to discuss it with their doctors or at times they don’t find it significant enough to be treated medically. Yes, it is the very common fishy odor you get down there – Vaginal odor.
There can be a lot of reasons behind this odor, namely bacterial growth, poor hygiene, yeast infections, diseases that are sexually transmitted or the hormonal changes. Though, most of the times, it is just a normal thing, yet, in case the odour is accompanied by redness, irritation, burning, and itchiness around the vaginal areas, it is always recommended to consult your doctor – the common reason being bacterial vaginosis. Irrespective of the reasons, here’s a list of remedies for this fishy odor.
1. Baking soda to Combat Vaginal Odor
- Add a cup and a half of baking soda to the lukewarm bath water of yours.
- While you bathe in it, make sure to soak the lower part of your body in the water for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse yourself with a towel using a dry and clean towel is always recommended.
This simple home remedy is much helpful to fight yeast infection so as to get rid of the odor fast. Baking soda helps in balancing the pH levels of your body, which once in control vanishes off the fishy odor.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
The apple cider vinegar is highly antiseptic and rich with antibacterial properties; hence, it can be used to combat the fishy odour down there. One of the simplest home remedies to fight vaginal odor is bathing in apple cider vinegar.
- Add about two cups of this vinegar to your lukewarm bath water and while you bath.
- Make sure you soak your lower part of the body in it for about 20 minutes.
- Repeating this quite a number of times in a week is recommended for best results.
This remedy helps in restoring the acidic nature of vaginal flora. Also, it helps in combating the harmful bacteria and toxins that cause the fishy vaginal odour.
Also Read: Benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar
Enriched with lactobacillus bacteria, yogurt helps in combating candida infection, one of the most common reasons of vaginal odor. Also, it helps in restoring the normal ph level of the vagina, which in turn helps to get rid of the odour. Include about two cups of yogurt, strictly unsweetened in your daily diet to get the best results.
4. White vinegar
White Vinegar is highly capable of neutralizing vaginal odors by breaking the odor proteins down. Rinsing with white vinegar helps to eliminate the vaginal odor, as it restores the normal pH level.
- Add a cup and a half of this vinegar along with a little salt to your lukewarm bathing water.
- Unlike the baking soda and apple cider vinegar, you do not need to soak in this for 20 minutes.
- Soaking the lower part of your body for few minutes will suffice.
You can use this home remedy as many times in a week as you wish to.
5. Tea Tree Oil
This oil is packed with anti-fungal and antiseptic properties which help fight the fishy vaginal odor. Tea tree oil actually fights the growth of bacteria causing the odour.
- Pour about three to four drops of this oil in a cup full of water.
- Mix it well, and then apply it to the affected area, that is, rinse the affected area with it regularly.
Owing to its antibiotic properties, garlic helps quite a lot in combating vaginal infections and vaginal odor. It fights yeast infection and helps our body to discard harmful bacteria.
- Practice having a couple of garlic cloves raw followed by a glass of lukewarm water in the morning on empty stomach.
- This can be highly effective in combating any sort of fungal infections leading to vaginal odour.
- Also, including garlic to your daily diet in the form of garlic paste or raw in salads helps a lot.
Consuming fenugreek regularly helps in regularizing menstrual cycles and also in balancing the hormones.
- Take about two teaspoons full of fenugreek seeds and soak it overnight in a glass of water.
- Next morning, after straining out the seeds, have the water on empty stomach.
- This remedy is recommended twice a week, as an overdose of fenugreek may result in skin irritation and diarrhea.
- Also, boiling fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and having it twice a day can help. Read Fenugreek health benefits.
Amla is an organic cleanser and is also packed with natural blood purifying properties. Owing to its natural attributes, it is effective in discarding the infections that cause vaginal odor.
Also, this one is a natural remedy for excessive vaginal discharge, commonly known as leucorrhoea. Having amla regularly raw or as amla juice, powder and pickles can be helpful as well. Find leucorrhoea home remedies and Amla benefits.
9. Hygiene practices
Cleansing your vagina regularly is a mandate, but mostly we miss out on the little details, like which soap to use, whether to use a loofah or not, etc. Well, even though you use a loofah for scrubbing your body, prevent using it for the vaginal area, as it causes small tears – making it prone to infection.
Use a wash cloth instead. Perfumed soaps or body-washes are to be preferably kept away as these can disturb the normal pH level of the vagina. So using a gentle soap is recommended for cleansing the dead skin cells, dirt and sweat.
10. Use a pH product and Consider cotton undies
Having a vaginal odor is normal enough, but in case it remains persistent or gets stronger, you might give a thought to using over-the-counter products, so as to restore the normal pH level of your vagina.
For those facing an issue of thick vaginal discharge along with strong vaginal odour, you may consider switching to a different underwear fabric. The beautiful glistening satin or silk undies may seem to be a mood booster for you, but in case you have issues with vaginal odor, consider using pure cotton undies.
Cotton undies are excellent in soaking the sweat and extra moisture or fluids from your intimate parts, which, in turn, helps to stabilize the natural bacteria level of your vagina.
A fishy or metallic odor down there may be quite depressing and mood spoiler or even embarrassing at times. Instead of giving into the low mood, switch to these easy and quick remedies to combat the infections leading to such vaginal odor and get back to your fresh and best mood at the earliest.