Menopause is not a disease; it is a health condition, which all women go through when they age. Menopause symptoms begins at the end of the women’s reproductive age, i.e. just before and after she stops menstruating. There is no fixed age for Menopause, but, in most women, it happens between the age of 40 and 50.
Menopause happens when the ovaries don’t release the eggs anymore, and the menstruation stops. Menopause is a normal condition that is a result of aging.
In some rare cases, the menopause can happens bit early because of hysterectomy, damage to ovaries, or chemotherapy. However, irrespective of the cause, menopause which happens before the age of 40 is known as premature menopause.
Symptoms of Menopause
Most of the women who are approaching their menopause will experience hot flashes, which are a sudden warm feeling that spreads all over your body followed by blushing and sweating.
The severity of hot flashes can differ from woman to woman.
The common symptoms of menopause include:
- mood swings
- missed or irregular periods
- insomnia (Read Home remedies for insomnia)
- fatigue (Find home remedies for fatigue treatment)
- racing heart
- vaginal dryness
- bladder control issue
- joint and muscle pains
- change in libido.
Also Read: Home remedies for PCOD
Natural remedies for menopause symptoms treatment
Earlier, doctors used to believe that hormones were the only way of combating the menopausal symptoms along with heart diseases and osteoporosis.
But hormone replacement therapy was not quite safe and increased the risk of stroke and breast cancer. Women have now turned towards home remedies for easing the symptoms of menopause.
- Beetroot Juice: Consuming a 1/4th cup of beetroot juice three times a day can help in relieving the symptoms of menopause. You can grind the beetroot and extract its juice for consumption.
- Carrot seeds: It is said that boiling one teaspoon of carrot seeds in one cup milk for 10-12 minutes and drinking it once daily can help during menopause.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds are a storehouse of helpful properties. It balances hormones naturally. Soak half a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and take them on an empty stomach next morning. This is one of the best natural remedies for menopause mood swings.
- Almonds: You need to soak 5 almonds overnight and peel the skin the next morning followed by making a fine paste from them. Grind 2 pieces of cardamom, 3 pieces of black pepper and one teaspoonful of anise seeds. Mix them in the almond paste. Take 250 ml boiled milk and add the paste to milk along with one teaspoon of honey and drink when lukewarm.
- Shatavari: It is said to be a beneficial home remedy for women. The powdered Shatavari can be consumed with milk. Shatavari is recognized as a woman health tonic and can be used for treating menopause symptoms such as vaginal dryness, night sweats, hot flashes, anxiety, and mood swings. This is one of the effective natural remedies for menopause hot flashes.
- Licorice: Take a tablespoon of licorice powder and add 2 cups water to it. Boil on medium flame and let the water evaporate. Take this drink with soybean powder twice daily.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: You can consume 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water and drink for combating the signs of Menopause.
- Cumin Seeds and Fenugreek powder Laddu: Take equal amount of cumin seeds and fenugreek powder, i.e. 50 grams each and fry them in 50 grams of ghee. The mixture is powdered and 50 grams organic jaggery is added. Laddu or round boluses are made of the mixture which weighs approximately 10 grams each. Taking 1-3 Laddu daily with warm milk can help during menopause.
- Groundnut, cashew nut, sesame seeds: Take 5 grams of the groundnut along with sesame seeds, and cashew nuts along with ginger powder and jaggery or honey. These are pounded and the semisolid mass is taken with warm water in the morning. It offers energy and helps in combating fatigue associated with menopause.
- Ginseng Tea: Take a teaspoon or two of Ginseng tea and boil it along with a cup of water in a Saucepan. Allow it to cool a bit and drink after adding some honey.
- Aloe Vera Gel: You can buy the Aloe Vera Juice from the market or extract the pulp from Aloe plant and consume it for balancing the hormones which get imbalanced during menopause. It hydrates your body and reverses the symptoms of Menopause. It is advised to take 1 tsp. of pulp with dry ginger powder and black salt in the morning for ten days.
- Flax Seeds: Take a tablespoon or two of powdered flaxseeds and add it to your favorite juice or cereal. Mix well and consume. It is found to be helpful in menopause cure. Flax seeds have several other benefits as well for your overall health such as reducing cholesterol and preventing heart disease.
- Ginger: Taken an inch of ginger and put it in a cup of boiling water in a saucepan. Simmer it for 5 minutes and strain the water. Allow it to cool for some time and add honey before drinking.
- Green Tea: Add a teaspoon of green tea in a cup of hot water and steep it for 5 minutes. Add honey and drink the tea thrice daily for combating hot flashes along with fatigues and stress. This is one of very effective natural remedies for hot flashes without hormones.
- Tomato juice: Drinking 1 cup of tomato juice daily can help in fighting symptoms of menopause such as anxiety, stress, and fatigue.
Also Check: Home remedies for irregular periods
Dietary and Lifestyle Changes for menopause treatment
- Exercise and Physical activity: It is important to stay active during menopause. You can also practice some weight-bearing exercises as they help in improving the bone density and protect against osteoporosis. You can also join aerobic classes or go for a brisk walk in the morning. Playing tennis is also a good idea. A study revealed that moderate physical activity can keep the hot flushes away for at least 24 hours. Some people also suggest going for acupuncture sessions as they help in managing menopause symptoms and reduce the intensity of hot flushes. Practicing yoga can also help in combating the signs of menopause.
- Oil Massage: It is recommended to do some oil massage with olive or coconut oil to keep away the symptoms of menopause such as arthritis, headache, body ache, joint pains, and sleeping problems.
- Vitamins: It is said that consumption of vitamins such as B, C, and E can help in relieving the symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes. The antioxidant properties in vitamin C and E can help in improving the condition. These vitamins can be derived by taking supplements.
- Avoid smoking: It is said that Menopausal women who smoke are more likely to experience hot flashes as compared to the non-smoking Menopausal women as nicotine has a stimulating effect.
- Warm water bath: Fill the bathtub with warm water and add 1-2 cups of Epsom salt and few drops of essential oil in it. You can also add them to your bucket of warm water. Taking a simple shower with warm water can also help in feeling better. It will help in detoxifying excess hormones.
- Fresh veggies and fruits: Eating a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables along with whole grains can help during menopause. Having soy-rich food items such as soy milk and tofu can also be helpful.
- Peppermint oil: Add some drops of peppermint oil into a diffuser and inhale the aroma. Keeping the diffuser next to your bed before going to sleep can help as it has soothing properties which help in reducing episodes of hot flashes along with stress and anxiety.
- Loosen your belt: If you experience hot flashes, you should avoid wearing ill-fitting and stretchy clothes to make yourself comfortable. Try wearing cotton and loose fitting clothes especially during summers.
- Black cohosh: In numerous studies, it has been shown that black cohosh can help in relieving menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, anxiety, insomnia, heart palpitations, and depression. You can have it 40 to 80 mg daily.
- Red Clover: Red clover is a unique herbal extract which is known to be effective in treating menopause as it relieves hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and anxiety. You can consume 40 mg of red clover twice daily.
- Take food with Phytoestrogens: Phytoestrogens are the plant oestrogen that helps in overcoming menopause symptoms. Apart from soy, you can find them in lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas. You can also add chicory, celery, and endive to your diet as they are packed with lignin fiber which is a Phytoestrogen.
- Have food that supports your liver: Oestrogen is redistributed by the liver so it is imperative to maintain a healthy liver function by eating a lot of spring onions, asparagus, fennel, and artichokes as they support the liver function. On the other hand, avoid taking coffee, alcohol, and spicy foods as they can impact your liver and aggravate the hot flushes.
- Avoid spices: It is said that you must avoid excessive intake of chilies, spices, sour foods, pickles, or salt in food when experiencing symptoms of Menopause.
- Avoid junk food: It is said that you must avoid having junk food and carbonated drinks completely along with reducing the intake of caffeine, refined sugar, cold drinks, and salads.
These are some of the home remedies for menopause which can help in managing the menopause and its symptoms in women.