Mustard plant is a herbaceous, crucifers plant which is annual, biennial, or perennial plant with alternate leaves sometimes arranged in rosettes. They do not have stipules and are often pinnate incised. Flowers are uniform with four free saccate sepals and four clawed free petals staggered. Here we will talk about mustard health benefits, oil, seeds and powder medicinal uses and side effects.
They might appear dis-symmetric or a little zygomorphic and have a cross-like appearance. The six stamens remain arranged in a cross-like appearance with four of them longer. They form ebracteateracemose inflorescence’s most of the time corymb-like. It bears modified carpels with seeds (1 mm) attached to the framework.
The common name of the plant is mustard plant. In Hindi, we call it Sarson. Sarson ka saag is the famous vegetable made by leaves and seeds of this plant.
Scientific name or family of mustard plant
The botanical name is Brassica juncea. It belongs to the Brassicaceae family. This is the cabbage family.
Geological places where mustard grows
They are native to Asia Minor. You can find them cultivated in the temperate regions of Europe, China, Canada, and India. In India, it is grown largely in Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
Mustard health benefits and oil/seeds medicinal uses
- High amounts of nutrients: The medicinal value of mustard is due to the high content of nutrients.
- Good for nightshades: Nightshade vegetables contain sticky molecules called lectins that stick to the walls of the intestine. They cause inflammatory bowel disease and many other related autoimmune conditions. When you include mustard seeds in the diet, it helps prevent this type of action by the nightshade vegetables.
- Soothe for the nerves: Mustard helps increase heat that benefits people who have nerve damage. By stimulating the nerves, it begins the healing process for the damaged nerves. This is one of the best mustard health benefits.
- Help fight cancer: All members of the Brassica family contain glucosinolates that slow the growth of cancer cells. Glucosinolates interact with myrosinase enzymes to become isothiocyanates. These chemicals help guard against the growth of cancer cells. They find a use for treating different types of cancers such as cervical cancer, colon cancer, and bladder cancer.
- Improve cardiovascular health: Mustard oil shows the property of reducing cardiac arrhythmia’s and helps decrease ventricular enlargement. Thereby, the chest pain linked to the disorder will decrease. So, mustard oil is good for those who have suffered a heart attack.
- Good for diabetics: Study of the effect of mustard oil in diabetics shows that it lowers the levels of glycosylated proteins and serum glucose. By its anti-oxidation property, mustard neutralizes the effects of oxygen free molecules and thus prevents damage brought on by oxidative stress. It enhances glucose metabolism and reduces lipid peroxidation. This is one of the best mustard health benefits.
- Help relieve pains and aches: You apply mustard plaster to aching feet. You can also use the mustard plaster for lower backaches.
- Cure for a migraine: One of the reasons people get migraines is because they have a deficiency of magnesium in their diet. By eating mustard, you increase the magnesium in your diet. Also, the mustard has omega-3 fatty acid that also helps cure migraines.
- Relief from constipation and piles: The mustard contains mucilage that helps reduce constipation. It is a thick, slimy substance that lubricates the walls of the stomach and intestine. The high fibre content of the mustard helps to improve the bowel movement. This is one of the effective mustard health benefits.
- Slow the ageing process: The rich content of nutrients such as lutein, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and carotene handle fighting the ageing process. The antioxidant activity helps prevent the degradation of the healthy cells through the destruction of the free radicals. If you want to remain young, make sure you add some mustard to your daily food.
- Antidote for poison: Mustard seeds help you resist the action of the poison. Poisoning occurs in the body due to the use of narcotics and excessive use of alcohol. If you have a decoction made of mustard, it will help you remove the toxins from your body.
- Relief for muscle pain: You get good relief for sore muscles and pain in the muscles by adding mustard to your diet. You can have mustard as mustard powder or oil. Or, you can add it as seasoning to the dishes you prepare.
- Care for skin and hair: Mustard finds extensive use as a beauty aid. We boil henna leaves with mustard seed and apply it to the hair. This helps your hair grow stronger. Roast some mustard seeds in coconut oil and apply the oil to your face to get a glowing face. All the acne will disappear.
- Relieve symptoms of arthritis: Arthritis is an affliction of the bones. It causes pain and swelling in the joints of the bones. By having mustard with the food or as a powder with water, you get relief from the pain and inflammation. You can cure rheumatic arthritis in full by having mustard due to the selenium and magnesium.
- Good relief for respiratory disorders: Mustard shows good therapeutic action for cold and sinus problems. It helps clear the mucus in the air passages. Mustard soothes both the vata and kapha. It adds heat. So, people have tea made from mustard seeds to get relief from cold.
- Lower cholesterol: The mustard binds the bile acids in the stomach and intestine helping their easy removal. This action helps reduce the cholesterol since the bile increases the cholesterol. Steaming the mustard helps to improve their binding action.
- Help relieve symptoms of menopause: Mustard promotes the well-being of women who are experiencing menopause. It promotes the growth of bones too due to the presence of calcium and magnesium. This helps prevent osteoporosis in women.
Side effects of mustard
- If you take large amounts of black mustard seeds by mouth, you could cause damage to your throat. Serious side effects such as drowsiness, diarrhea, heart failure, breathing difficulties, and coma might occur. In some cases, death might occur.
- If you leave an application of black mustard on your skin for a long time, it might cause skin blisters.
- Pregnant women must not take large amounts of mustard as this might result in a miscarriage.
- Diabetics who take sugar-control drugs must take care when they take mustard as the level of blood sugar might become too low.
- If you are due for surgery, you must stop taking all forms of mustard with your food or otherwise.
There are lot of Mustard health benefits and medicinal uses. Choose which is best for you and follow accordingly.