Kidney is filter plant of body. This body organ helps to balance the quantity of sodium, potassium, water and phosphorus in human body. It helps remove excess fluid and toxins from the body thus cleans the blood.
Kidney problems causes issues in blood-cleansing process thus increases toxins in body. This is the main cause of heart problems, high BP and cancer in bones & gallbladder.
Because of overweight or obesity, body stores lot of fat which affects all body parts specially kidney. All overweight persons around the world has 83% more chances of having kidney diseases like CKD, kidney cancer and stones.
According to WHO report, by 2025 18% men and 21% women worldwide will be obese, and more than 6% of men and 9% of women will be severely obese. In India, 17 out of 100 has kidney issues.
Out of these 17, 6% are on third stage of these problems. In India, 2 lac people every year die because of kidney failure. People with obesity are 2-7 times more at risk for kidney problems.
Also Check: Home remedies for kidney stones
Causes of Kidney problems
- Kidney, bladder or prostate cancer directly or indirectly makes your kidney unhealthy. Some genetic disorders like sickle cell anemia, injured kidney, blood thinner medicines, cancer medicines, over workout and excess running also affects kidney. Urinary tract and kidney failure can cause blood in urine which is known as hematuria. People with hematuria have urine that is pink, red, or dark brown because of red blood cells. Sometimes person can feel pain during urination because of blood clot. So without ignoring, you should consult your doctor.
- Sudden injury in renal know as hyperfiltration. In hyperfiltration, because of extra metabolic pressure, the kidneys filters larger quantities of blood than usual in an attempt. This pressure creates holes in kidney that leads to protein secretion in urine. This situation injures the kidneys very much. This is known as obesity related kidney problem.
- Unhealthy kidney can’t make a balance between water, salt and toxins thus increases salt in body. More salt leads you to high blood pressure. Excess food makes LBH wall of heart thicker then normal which is the cause of heart failure. Toxins in body affects brain, heart and digestive system. This can cause swelling in your legs, or make it difficult to breathe and vomiting. Kidney generates Vitamin-D so failure also stops production of Vitamin-D. Vitamin D deficiency means your bones actually become weaker. Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is an inherited kidney disorder. It causes fluid-filled cysts to form in the kidneys. PKD may impair kidney function and eventually cause kidney failure.
- Diabetes can cause kidney problems. Diabetes patients can have diabetic nephropathy problem. Diabetic nephropathy is a progressive kidney disease which causes damage to the capillaries in the kidneys’ glomeruli. It is characterized by nephrotic syndrome and diffuse scarring of the glomeruli. This condition causes kidney failure. Diabetic patients have 1/3 chances of kidney problems.
- Too much salt in diet: When we eat salt with food, kidney absorb 95% of that salt. But when you eat too much salt in food, it increases metabolic pressure in kidney. This makes adverse effect on functionality of kidney.
- Contaminated food: Alcohol, tiredness, soft drinks & soda, hunger for long time, oily & spicy food, contaminated food and non-veg food affects kidney functionality.
- Smoking and tobacco: Smoking and tobacco puts indirect pressure on kidney. Smoking decreases blood flow in lungs and veins. That leads to Kidney shrinkage.
- Low water intake: Lack of water can cause ureter and kidney infection. In this situation food particles stores in urinary tract thus block the flow of urine in the urinary system. This can cause kidney stone. A normal person should drink at least 4 litter water everyday.
- Holding urine too long: Holding urine for long time puts pressure on kidneys which reduces our capacity of holding urine for some time. Always try to pee whenever your feel the need of urination.
- Pain killer tablets: Too much intake of pain killers has lot of side effects on kidneys. So always consult a doctor before taking any medicine.
Kidney disease symptoms
- Fatigue – feeling tired all the time.
- Feeling weak and lazy.
- Lack of concentration.
- Less hunger.
- Muscle contraction.
- Swelling in hands or feet.
- Itching on skin.
- Frequent urination during the nights.
- Chest pain and Shortness of breath.
- High blood pressure.
Tests to identify kidney issues
To find symptoms, doctors tests bladder and urethra using microscope. Other tests are ultrasound, blood test, urine test, kidney function imaging tests and biopsy.
Home remedies to cure kidney problems
- If you have pain in kidney then take 20gm dried basil (Tulsi) leaves, Cumin (ajwain) power 20gm and rock salt 10gm. Grind all to make a powder. Consume 2gm of this mixture every morning and evening with lukewarm water. follow this for 2-3 days. Avoid eating rice and spinach for some time.
- For burning sensation in urine, take 300gm dry coriander seeds powder and 300gm rock candy. Mix both well. Consume 6gm of this mixture twice a day with normal water. First dose should take in the morning with empty stomach and second dose near 4 PM. Do not eat anything 1 hours before and after it. Follow for 10 days.
- Soak 10 gm dry cilantro seeds in water for whole night. Next morning, grind this coriander to make a paste. Now mix this paste and some rock candy in one glass water and drink. Follow this for 2-4 days as needed.
- Make a paste of onion with curd and consume for few days.
- Chew 3-4 Tulsi (Holy Basil) leaves twice a day with empty stomach. Drink some water on it.
- If you are facing frequent urination issue, then eat vegetable of fenugreek leaves. Eat 2 ripe banana fruit after lunch everyday. If you have frequent urination at night then eat spinach vegetables every night. Eat roasted gram with jaggery for few days. Avoid roasted gram if you have constipation. You can also have sesame seeds with some jaggery in the morning and evening.
- If facing low urine flow problem then consume powder of 2 cardamom and take some milk on it. Barley water, coconut water and sugarcane juice are very beneficial. Have one glass buttermilk with some green coriander leaves after lunch everyday.
- For stopped urine flow, take 2gm cumin seeds powder and 2gm rock candy. Mix both well and consume with fresh water 3 times a day. If urination has been stopped because of kidney failure then take 60gm juice of radish and radish leaves. If every remedy has been failed then mix 30gm castor oil in one glass hot water and consume. Within 20 minutes, urine flow will be start automatically.