What are platelets: If it is understood in simple terms about platelets, it can be said that these are cells that prevent blood from flowing outside of the body. Platelets prevent blood loss from the body due to an injury or other reason. The problem of low platelet count in blood is known as thrombocytopenia. In this article, we will talk about what are platelets and how to increase platelet count naturally?
Their good quantity is very important for our body to work properly. If for some reason you become less or more of them, you start to experience many kinds of diseases.
The lack of platelets mainly causes the problem. In this article, we will know what are platelets, the work of platelets, why it decreases, the symptoms and causes of platelet deficiency and home remedies to increase platelet count.
What are platelets?
Platelets repair damaged tissues. At the same time, they work to stop bleeding. The scientific name of this procedure is called Hemostasis. Platelets are the elements present in the blood, which are made of liquid water and cells.
These cells also include red blood cells carrying oxygen. Platelets are very fine particles present in the blood, which can be seen during a medical check-up.
After an injury to the body, the platelets present in the blood begin to get a signal, so that they start the process of stopping the blood by reaching the spot of injury and bleeding.
Symptoms of low platelet count
If there is a reduction in the number of platelets, you may experience many types of symptoms. Due to the pregnancy, the number of platelets may decrease slightly. While there is a significant drop in the number of platelets, symptoms of persistent hemorrhage are seen. During this, bleeding is so high that you need medical help.
If the platelet count has decreased, then you will feel the following symptoms:
- There are red, brown and purple marks on the body. This situation is also called purpura.
- Small grains of red and purple color on body.
- Bleeding nose.
- Gingival bleeding.
- Long-wound bleeding and it does not stop.
- Menstrual bleeding.
- Blood from the rectum.
- Urine bleeding.
Internal hemorrhage is included in its serious cases. Internal hemorrhage consists of the following symptoms.
- Blood in the urine.
- Blood in the stools.
- Deep red bloody vomiting.
If you have any symptoms of internal hemorrhage then go to the doctor immediately and get treatment. In the absence of platelets, in some rare cases, you may experience a headache and nervous problems. In this situation, there may also be bleeding inside the brain. If this happens, you should seek medical advice immediately.
Causes of low platelet count
The reasons for the lack of platelets are divided into two parts. You can understand the reasons for this as follows.
1. Problems of bone marrow
Bone marrow is the soft tissue inside your bone. This place produces all the blood components, including platelet. If your bone marrow does not produce enough platelets, then the number of your platelets decreases. There are many reasons for the reduction in the production of platelets.
- Aplastic Anemia
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Folate Deficiency
- iron deficiency
- Infections, which include HIV, Epstein-Barr virus and Chicken Pox
- Coming in contact with chemotherapy, radiation, or toxic chemicals
- Overuse of alcohol
- Cirrhosis; Name of liver disease
- Blood cancer (leukemia)
2. Platelet Destruction
Let you know that each platelet present in the healthy body can remain active for about ten days. The process of destroying and producing platelets runs continuously.
If a large number of platelets is destroyed, then this condition also becomes the cause of platelet deficiency. Due to the opposite effect of many types of drugs, like taking urinal diseases medicines, it may happen.
The following diseases and conditions are also the reason for platelet deficiency.
- Bacterial infection in blood
Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (a disorder that increases the amount of blood extracted from skin scratches)
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura; blood related disorders
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome; blood vessel destruction disorder
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation (blood related disease)
- Hypersplenism; Spinal organ disorder
- Autoimmune disorder; immune system disorder
How to increase platelet count in blood naturally
Low platelet count is a health disorder in which platelets count in your blood is less than normal, known as thrombocytopenia.
Platelets are the smallest of the blood cells, these are the blood clot forming cells that are formed continuously and keep destroying.
The normal age of platelets is 5 to 9 days. For a healthy person, its quantity should be 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per Microliter blood. When the number of platelets is below 150,000 per microliter, it is considered to be a low platelet count.
Main reasons for low platelets count are cancer or severe liver diseases, leukemia, some types of anemia, viral infections, and exposure to toxic chemicals, chemotherapy drugs, heavy alcohol intake, and lack of essential vitamins, autoimmune diseases, blood bacterial infections, and pregnancy.
If the number of platelets is low, it may result in long-term bleeding from cuts, bleeding from the gums or nose, blood in the urine or stool, women can report unusually heavy menstruation, fatigue, and general weakness.
With some changes in lifestyle and some easy home remedies, you can rapidly improve your platelet count and lead a healthy life. Let’s know some home remedies to naturally increase number of platelets.
1. Papaya to Increase Platelets in blood
Both papaya and its leaves are able to increase the number of platelets within a few days. In 2009, a research done by Asian Institute and Technology in Malaysia said that papaya leaves juice can increase the low platelet count of people suffering with dengue fever. (1)
- Consume ripe papaya or drink a glass of papaya juice with little lemon juice twice a day or two or three times a day.
- Consume juice of papaya tree leaves twice a day.
2. Wheatgrass to increase blood platelets
According to a study published in the International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Life Sciences in 2011, Wheatgrass can be beneficial in increasing low platelet count. (2)
In fact, it can produce a significant amount of hemoglobin, red blood cell, total white blood cell and different white blood cells.
This happens because the Wheatgrass is high in chlorophyll with approximately one molecular structure similar to that of the hemoglobin molecule in the human blood.
- Drink only half a cup of Wheatgrass juice and with just a little lemon juice.
3. Pumpkin is the way to increase blood platelets
Pumpkin is another great food to increase your low platelet count. It is rich in vitamin A which helps in supporting appropriate platelet development. It also regulates the proteins produced in cells, which is important to increase platelet levels.
- Mix half a glass of fresh Pumpkin juice with 1 teaspoon honey and drink it twice or thrice a day.
- Also, include Pumpkin Soup, Smoothies etc. in your diet.
4. Spinach Increases low platelets
Spinach is a good source of Vitamin K that is often used to help in treating low platelet disorders. Vitamin K is required for proper blood clotting. Thus, it reduces the risk of excessive bleeding.
- Boil 4 or 5 leaves of fresh spinach in 2 cups water for a few minutes.
- Let it cool down and mix in half glass tomatoes juice and drink it 3 times a day.
- Also enjoy this green vegetable in salad, green sandwich, side dish or soup.
5. Vitamin C to Increase platelet count
To increase the number of your platelets, you need to increase the intake of vitamin C, which is also called ascorbic acid. In a study published in the Japanese Journal of Hematology in 1990, it has been said that Vitamin C improves platelet count.
Due to being a powerful antioxidant, high doses of vitamin C also prevent free-radicals of platelets from being damaged. Depending on your age and overall health, your body needs 400 to 2,000 mg of vitamin C per day.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C such as lemon, orange, tomatoes, kiwi, spinach, chili and broccoli.
- You can take Vitamin C in your daily dietary supplement, but only after consultation with your doctor.
6. Amla for high platelet count
A popular Ayurvedic remedy to increase your platelet count is Amla. Vitamin C in Amla can help to increase the production of platelets and boost your immune system.
- Eat 3-4 amla each morning with empty stomach.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons amla juice and 2 tablespoons honey. Drink it 2 or 3 times daily.
- You can also make jam or pickles with fresh amla at home.
7. Sesame Oil to increase platelets
This cold pressed Sesame oil is also beneficial in boosting your platelet count. Sesame oil has such properties that can increase platelet levels naturally. It reduces the free radical damage, swelling in the body and improves blood circulation.
- Eat 1 to 2 teaspoons of sesame oil twice a day.
- To help you increase the number of platelets, you can massage some sesame oil externally in the areas of lymph node.
- In addition, you use sesame oil for cooking.
8. Beetroot Juice to cure thrombocytopenia
Another popular food to increase platelet count is Beetroot juice. Being high in natural antioxidant and haemostatic properties, beetroot can increase your platelet count within a few days.
- Drink a spoonful of fresh beet juice daily 3 times a day.
- Another option is to mix 3 teaspoon Beetroot juice in one glass of carrot juice and drink it twice a day.
9. Water is good to increase platelets
Blood cells are made from water and proteins, so it is advisable to drink lots of water throughout the day.
When it comes to the low number of platelets, avoid drinking cold water, as it can affect your digestive system and the body will not properly absorb nutrients.
Instead, drink filtered and pure water that is at room temperature. This will help in the production of more blood cells in your body and ultimately improve the low platelet count.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
10. Regular exercise to increase blood platelets
By regular exercise, blood circulation will be promoted, your immune system improves and platelets may increase.
According to British Columbia’s Leukemia / Bone Marrow Transplant Program, certain specific exercises can help to increase the level of low platelet count. Here are some guidelines:
- When platelets are between 15,000 to 20,000, you can do walking, stretching, sitting, or stand-up exercises.
- When the platelets are between 20,000 to 40,000, you can use light resistance such as weight or elastic tubing or latex band. You can also do brisk walking.
- When platelets are between 40,000 to 60,000, you can demonstrate activities like biking and golfing.
- When platelets are above 60,000, you can exercise aerobic like biking or jogging.
Note: When your platelet count is less than 15,000, avoid doing all kinds of exercises as this can increase the risk of bleeding.
Important things to prevent thrombocytopenia
- Cutoff utilization of liquor since it can decrease the creation of platelets in bone marrow.
- Likewise, Avoid tonic water. It might add to less number of blood platelets.
- Avoid eating raw vegetables, when your platelets decrease. It can harm the intestinal layer. Rather, steams until the point when vegetables are delicate and after that eat them.
- Eat 1 to 2 red guava every day to enhance the platelet count.
- Do not consume dairy products including milk, curd, cottage cheese and butter for a few days because these products forces the formation of mucus and can ruin some self-defense diseases.
- Avoid canned and processed foods.
- To help your body recharge and make more platelets, sleep at least 7 to 8 hours per night.
- Eat products of whole grains and brown rice. Avoid white flour, white rice and processed foods.
- Avoid activities that may cause injury.
Ask your doctor before taking over-the-counter medicines because some medicines can affect your platelet function.
Continue with any of these home remedies until you get high platelet count. If the problem is serious, consult your doctor.
We hope you have got what are platelets and how to increase platelet count naturally. If you have any question then write in the comment section or you can also ask us on our social accounts.