Every drug which is beneficial for you also have a dark side means side effects. Every allopathic medicine whether that is for constipation or for heart disease will surely have a serious side effect which increases after time. Here, we will tell you how to prevent and cure side effects of allopathic medicines.
For every allopathic medicine that gives a benefit to the patient, there is a natural substance that can do the same. But we still prefer to use these medicines because of their fast results and the relief you get immediately.
Table Of Content
1. Why people prefer to use allopathic medicines?
2. Most common side effects of allopathic medication
3. Alternative medicines are also not that safe
4. Alternative medicines can interfere with allopathic medicines
5. Consuming alcohol with medicines can also cause side effects
6. Natural ways to cure side effects of medicines
A side effect is an undesired symptom which we get by medical treatment. We can get negative effects through a wide range of medicines. These medicines are prescribed by doctors and over-the-counter drugs, integral drugs including home remedies says Jim Owen, doctor of pharmacy and vice president of practice and science affairs at the American Pharmacists Association.
In a research, we found that more than 20 million people are admitted to hospital every year because of problems associated with the use of medicines, including side effects. In typical cases, death can also occur. It is always best to have your medicines wisely. Only use medicine especially allopathic medicine when you really need that.
Why people prefer to use allopathic medicines?
Can you explain why drugs have turned into our first choice and not herbs? Well, you all know that in today’s fast-paced life we all want quick results and relief.
In some simple ailments, herbs do give immediate relief but in more serious cases natural treatment takes longer then what you think which most people don’t have the patience for.
Also, the damage done by a disease is so extensive that we do need immediate relief, so we always think about allopathic medicines at first.
But, the major problem with all allopathic medicines is their negative effects. These drugs might cure your disease, but they will also give you another problem, resulting in another treatment with another medicine to reduce the side effect. This sometimes becomes a vicious cycle.
We understand that medication whether that is for long term or short term is required. But to counter the side effects of these medicines rather than taking another drug, we should opt for natural remedies and herbs as much as possible.
Most common side effects of allopathic medication
All allopathic medicines can cause unwanted side effects. For example, antibiotics from sulfonamide and penicillin families can cause bloating, belching, gas, constipation, diarrhea, hyperacidity and allergic reactions in around 10% of the population like skin rashes and itching.
Also Read: Natural remedies for hyperacidity
People normally think that because they have a side effect from one medicine, they can’t take any other medicine in the same class, but it’s not true,” Liu says. “Sometimes side effects are due to a particular component that not every brand uses”.
Many drugs prescribed by doctors, cause stomach problems like nausea, diarrhea, or constipation because they go through our digestive system. Others like antidepressants, muscle relaxants, or blood pressure or diabetes medicines may cause vertigo.
Also Read: Natural ways to cure stomach bloating
Others might make you feel drowsy, depressed, or irritable. Some may increase your weight. Some may give you insomnia or make you impotent.
Most common side effects of medicines are hyperacidity, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, water retention, mouth sores, ulcers, weight gain or weight loss, bone and joint pains, hair loss, high blood pressure, liver damage, kidney damage, drowsiness and sometimes hallucinations.
Also Read: Natural remedies for nausea
Common types of medication and their side effects
- If you are taking arthritis medicines then you may face stomach upset and nausea, stomach ulcers, insomnia, dry mouth, vomiting, and abnormal liver and kidney function. Some patients develop mouth sores, rash, diarrhea and mouth ulcers.
- If you take an antidepressant that makes you feel better but also causes you to gain weight.
- Some drugs, like cholesterol drugs and blood thinners, may make you sensitive to the sun, so wear sunscreen or cover up outside. You can also face confusion or memory loss problem.
- If you take antacids to treat hyperacidity, they can also cause constipation or diarrhea.
- If you are taking medicines for blood pressure like ACE inhibitors than you can have a dry cough. You may also feel dizzy or have an upset stomach. ACE inhibitors can affect kidney function.
- TB drugs can cause gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, vomiting and weight loss due to decreased appetite. These drugs can also cause a dry mouth and sore throat.
- Travel Tabs (dimenhydrinate) can cause constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, glaucoma, excitement (especially in children) and lack of energy. In some cases, you can also feel blurred vision or any change in vision, confusion, and difficulty in passing urine. Less than 1% of patients can face rapid, shallow breathing, seizure, symptoms of a severe allergic reaction like difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of the face, mouth, tongue, or throat. A pregnant woman should not consume these medicines.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs which we used to treat ulcerative colitis can cause a headache, nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, rash, fever, and decreased white blood cell count. You can also face decreased sperm production, abdominal pain and cramps, diarrhea, gas, hair loss, and dizziness.
- Immune system suppressors are responsible for decreased kidney function, increased risk of infections, increased cholesterol levels, sleep troubles, headache, high blood pressure, swollen gums, and increased risk of lymphoma. Find natural remedies to cure sleep disorder.
- Diabetes medication causes nausea or an upset stomach. You can also feel low blood sugar, skin rash or itching, and weight gain. Other possible side effects are kidney complications, tiredness or dizziness, metal taste, gas, bloating and diarrhea.
- All the medicines used to treat fever, cold and cough and antibiotics affects the working of the liver and kidney. This issue increases with time and if you take these drugs often then you may face liver or kidney failure.
Also Check: How to cure constipation naturally?
Alternative medicines are also not that safe
Many of us think that alternative medicines like home remedies are safe because they are made from natural sources but it’s not true in every situation.
Some natural herbs can also cause powerful side effects on human body.
Some examples of alternative medicines that can crate side effects are:
Echinacea: Echinacea belongs to daisy family which is a group of herbaceous flowering plants. If you use these plants in any medicine then you can have more than twenty different types of reactions including asthma attacks, hives, swelling, aching muscles and gastrointestinal upsets.
Feverfew: Feverfew is a flowering plant in the daisy family Asteraceae. It is a traditional medicinal herb which is commonly used to prevent migraine headaches. Pregnant woman are advised not to use this herb, as it can cause uterine contractions. It can also trigger miscarriages.
Asteraceae plants: Asteraceae is a family of flowing plants which includes feverfew, echinacea, dandelion, and chamomile etc. Use of these plants can cause allergic dermatitis and hay fever.
Also Check: Home remedies for diarrhea treatment
Alternative medicines can interfere with allopathic medicines
A further complication is the interaction of herbal medicines with allopathic medicines the person may be taking at the same time. Many of us take alternative medicines and prescription medicines at the same time.
This may increase the risk of side effects because the active ingredients in the various medicines can interact in a negative way. Sometimes alternative medicines may increase or decrease the effectiveness of the allopathic medicine.
Few examples of interactions between alternative medicines and allopathic medicines that can put you at risk are:
- Echinacea herbs may interact with medications broken down by the liver.
- Many herbal medicines like feverfew, ginkgo and chamomile may increase the risk of bleeding in people taking anticoagulant medicines such as warfarin and anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin.
- Hypericum perforatum plant could cause breakthrough bleeding and unwanted pregnancy in women taking the oral contraceptive pill.
- Perforate St John’s-wort increases serotonin. If you are taking this herb with other medicine that increases serotonin (such as antidepressants) than it will increase the risk of serotonin toxicity (serotonin syndrome). Symptoms include tremors, high temperature, and low blood pressure and can range from mild to life-threatening.
Also Check: How to cure dizziness naturally?
Consuming alcohol with medicines can also cause side effects
If you are having alcohol with allopathic drugs than you may face unwanted and sometimes dangerous side effects.
Few examples are:
- If you are taking antihistamines, antidepressant medicines, sleeping tablets or medicines for anxiety than alcohol can cause drowsiness or vertigo.
- Alcohol and medicines for high blood pressure, travel sickness, and some pain relievers can also interact with each other.
- Some antibiotics interact negatively with alcohol. For example, the antibiotics metronidazole and tinidazole can cause a severe reaction if consumed with alcohol, including nausea, vomiting, skin flushing, headache and a fast or irregular heartbeat. Other antibiotic medicines can cause stomach pain, drowsiness or dizziness if consumed with alcohol.
Alcohol can stay in your body for many hours after your last drink, so it is important to avoid alcohol when you take your medication. In the next section, we will tell you how to reduce side effects of medicine.
Natural ways to cure side effects of medicines
Side effects of allopathic medicines are unavoidable. We understand that medicines and drugs have the ability to help people who need them. However, their bad effects are higher than good effects.
We use antibiotics to treat bacterial infection. These antibiotics help you to restore your health. But these powerful medicines including penicillin, amoxicillin, and tetracycline can cause some unpleasant side effects like hyperacidity, stomach bloating, diarrhea, yeast overgrowth and gastrointestinal trouble.
Antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria causing your sickness; they also kill beneficial bacteria that contribute to a healthy digestive system. Here we have some natural ways to save you from the side effects of drugs and hopefully minimize the need for any or most of them.
1. Eat Indian gooseberry (amla) to prevent medicine side effects
Amla fruit is the richest source of Vitamin C. It balances the three doshas in the human body. The Indian Gooseberry is rich in vitamins and minerals. It has Vitamin A, C, Omega 3 fatty acid, dietary fiber, iron, calcium, manganese, potassium, copper, magnesium, and phosphorus.
Amla fruit also has a little selenium and zinc. It has high antioxidant property because it has significant amounts of ellagitannins such as pedunculagin (14%), punigluconin (12%), emblicanin B (33%), and emblicanin A (37%).
According to Ayurveda, Amla is the world’s healthiest superfood. It helps you get rid of free radicals. It’s a laxative and diuretic which helps to remove toxins out-of-body. The amla fruit helps flush out the toxins in the body. It promotes liver health.
Also Read: Amla fruit health benefits
It’s a natural antibiotic so rather than taking allopathic antibiotic use amla powder or juice every day. If you use it regularly, the Indian gooseberry will build your immunity power significantly.
Indian gooseberry can easily cure indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, stomach ulcers, mouth ulcers and acidity.
This is the best medicine to prevent hair fall and aging of cells. It augments the overall health system by enhancing metabolism. If you are feeling sickness, nausea or vertigo because of medicines then take amla juice or powder.
Doses: Take 2 tablespoonful of amla powder with normal water every morning. You can also consume 10 ml amla juice every day.
If you consume amla in any form every day, then it will 100% save you from all side effects of all medicines. The reason is that it will save you from most of the diseases so there will be no need to take any allopathic medicine.
2. Probiotics to cure the side effects of antibiotics
If you are facing side effects of antibiotics then probiotic supplement can help you to prevent gastrointestinal issues like hyperacidity, stomach bloating, diarrhea etc. You can eat yogurt and kefir. Fermented foods like pickles, pickled turnips and carrots are a good source of natural probiotics.
Few examples of probiotics are:
- Kombucha (Kombucha is a fermented black or green tea drink)
- Fermented Cheese
3. Turmeric milk
The very first method to avoid side effects is to avoid antibiotics as much as possible and use natural herbs in place of allopathic antibiotics.
Take one glass of lukewarm milk and mix one tablespoonful of turmeric powder in it. Consume this milk 2 times a day. One glass in the morning and one every night before going to bed. Turmeric is a natural antibiotic which really works in most cases.
4. Herbal Tea
If you feel nausea, vertigo or diarrhea after taking antibiotics than have one cup of ginger tea. It will soothe your stomach. You can also have green tea or raspberry leaf tea.
To make herbal tea, boil five mint leaves, little ginger and about half a teaspoon of carom seeds (Ajwain or bishop’s weed) in a glass of water till the water is reduced to half. Drink this 3 times a day.
5. Lemon, garlic, and honey
If you are feeling hyperacidity, diarrhea or nausea because of medicines then do not use antacid because antacid can also cause constipation or diarrhea. Rather than using antacid, have one glass of hot water with lemon juice in it.
Squeeze one lemon in one glass of hot water and drink at least twice a day. Lemon water will also help you to remove toxins out of your body. Lemon is best for detoxification of liver and kidney.
For diarrhea, black tea with lemon juice is very beneficial. Lemon tea contains astringent tannins that help reduce intestinal inflammation. To get the electrolytes lost during severe diarrhea, have some lime juice with little sugar and salt. Also, have coconut water 2 times a day.
Lemon is also helpful to cure oral ulcers. Have lemon water every day and apply little honey on mouth ulcers.
Have some garlic buds every day. Allicin present in garlic helps you to get rid of the antibiotics in the body.
6. Citrus fruits and Aloe vera
All the citrus fruits are very effective to cure the side effects of allopathic medicines. Same like lemon, oranges, grapefruit, pomelo, and limes are very beneficial to prevent acidity, stomach bloating, constipation and other gastrointestinal troubles.
We advise you to eat these fruits rather the having their juices. Vitamin C is better obtained from oranges, and having their juices will only give you excess sugar, which will make your condition worst.
Aloe vera juice protects the intestinal lining. Aloe vera protects you from stomach ulcers and acidity.
lso Read: Effective herbs to cure high blood sugar
7. Make healthy lifestyle changes and eat healthily
To reduce the side effects of drugs you should change in your diet. A healthy diet is rich in protein, healthy fats and vegetables. You should consume food low in carbohydrates, processed foods, and sugar.
Sugar can make every medical condition worst. Other lifestyle changes are drinking plenty of water, using black salt instead of table salt and exercise regularly.
Quit smoking and drinking alcohol and carbonated beverages. Avoid chocolates, sugary and starchy foods. Also cut out on dairy products, fatty and spicy foods, tea and coffee. Eat light, easily digestible food. Do some light exercises daily.
Have fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamins A, C, E, zinc, and selenium. Be sure that you do not have constipation. Take Psyllium husk and flax seeds to cure constipation naturally.
Because of some medications, you can face weight loss due to severe loss of appetite. Add good proteins and good fats to overcome this situation.
Few examples of good proteins and good fats are:
- Dark Chocolate.
- Whole Eggs.
- Fatty Fish.
- Chia Seeds.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Soy foods.
- Fruits like guavas, avocados, apricots, kiwifruit, blackberries, oranges, bananas, cantaloupe, raspberries, and peaches.
Some medicines can cause bone and joint pain. These drugs leach calcium and vitamin D from our body. To counter this situation, add dairy products to your diet like milk, cheese, and curd. Take sunbath every morning.
To prevent liver and kidney toxicity, we have to do liver and kidney detoxification after every few days. Lemon and garlic play the main role in this. Have a glass full of lemon water every morning and chew 2-3 raw garlic cloves. Drink a lot of water every day for better working of kidneys.
8. Educate yourself and follow instructions
Take all medicines strictly as prescribed by your doctor. All drugs can cause more side effects at higher doses so always take dose prescribed by your doctor. Learn about your medicine. All medicines have complete information about all drugs has been used to make that medicine including side effects of every component.
You can also do some research about that medicine and its side effects online. The Internet has complete information about every medicine including its benefits and negative effects. If you find any drug which caused any side effect in past then consult your doctor and tell him about this.
Try to avoid taking allopathic medicines and alternative medicines at the same time because it can make the situation worst.
For every drug, there is a natural alternative available. Try to use that natural herb first to treat that alignment.
Do not try to be a doctor yourself. Many of us take a medicine without consulting doctor which may be harmful to you.