Diabetes is a condition where the blood glucose also called the blood sugar is too high. We get the energy the body requires from the food we eat. The body converts the food we eat into glucose. But, when the person has diabetes, the body is unable to use this sugar to get energy. In this article, we will talk about how flax seeds are able to control blood sugar level and diabetes.
Action of the hormone insulin
The hormone insulin helps the sugar get into your body cells. The pancreas makes the insulin. When the body does not make any insulin or does not properly use the insulin, the blood sugar level in the blood gets too high.
The glucose does not reach your body cells. Diabetes does not have a cure. A person with diabetes can take steps to control the diabetes symptoms, so there is no danger.
Incidence of diabetes and its complications
According to the study conducted in 2015, 30.4 million people making up 9.5 percent of the population had signs of diabetes. About a quarter of the population over 65 years of age have diabetes symptoms.
Only three people out of four knew that they had diabetes. Most of the adults have type 2 diabetes. We group diabetes into type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes. Diabetes of all types is serious.
- Type 1 diabetes: In this condition, your body does not make any insulin. The immune system in your body attacks the cells in the pancreas and destroys them. Usually, you may see this type of diabetes in young adults and children. Only if you take insulin daily, you can stay alive if you have Type 1 diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes: Here you do not make or use insulin well. There is no specific age for this kind of diabetes. This develops at a later stage in life. Also, this is the most common type of diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes: Some women who are pregnant will develop diabetes. After the baby is born, diabetes goes away. The only problem is that people who have had gestational diabetes have a greater risk of developing Type2 diabetes.
Also Read: Yoga poses to cure diabetes
Diabetes is serious because, over the time, it could lead to life-threatening conditions. High glucose levels lead to problems such as these:
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Nerve damage
- Eye problem
- Foot problems
- Dental disease
Also Read: Why am i tired always and how to be active?
Usefulness of flax seeds to control diabetes
One may control the diabetes sugar level in the blood by regulating the diet. If you include specific food items such as ground flaxseed in the daily diet, it will help you control your blood sugar level. Here are the reasons how flaxseed works as diabetes medications:
- The glycemic index of flaxseed is low: The amount of glucose the blood carries after you eat ground flaxseed is low. This means your body is not burdened by the sugar and the digestion of the flax seeds is easy. This helps keep the blood sugar level at a stable level.
- Prevents sugar spikes: Most of the carbohydrates we eat produce sugar spikes. This is the abrupt rise in the blood glucose level. This result in cravings as the blood sugar drops in a sudden way when the glucose gets absorbed by the body cells. The person wants to eat more, and this aggravates the condition of diabetes.
- Reduced the complications of diabetes: The flaxseeds have an organic shell. We call this shell without the flaxseed oil as hull lignans. These are the main source of dietary phytoestrogens that resemble the female sex hormone. It has a beneficial effect on our health. This also prevents the onset of complications due to diabetes.
- Lower the sugar level: When we substitute flax seeds for our regular carbohydrates, the intake of carbohydrates comes down. This allows us to have a healthier diet that keeps the sugar level down. If we have flaxseed meal often, it leads to better control of the sugar levels in our blood.
- Whole grain value of flax seeds: Whole grain is a good source of fiber. It slows the absorption of glucose in the blood. You get plenty of vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients that make you healthy. When you have complex carbohydrates as found in the whole grains, the body needs time to digest them.
- The high fiber content in flaxseed helps: When you eat flaxseeds, the fiber gives you the satiated feeling. You do not feel hungry for a longer time. This helps to keep the sugar level in the blood down.
How to eat flaxseed for diabetes treatment
How to eat flaxseed for diabetes is a common question in everyone’s mind. If you do not chew flax seeds properly, it would go outside of your body undigested.
Ground or milled flaxseeds are always a better choice. You can use flaxseed oil to replace other oils in your cooking.
If you buy whole flaxseeds then first roast them for few seconds only. Now grind as needed to make flaxseed powder and sprinkle on yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, smoothies, casseroles, and baked foods.
Sprouting flaxseeds are another healthy option because they release more of their protein and omega-3 fats.
Do not overcook flaxseed otherwise, it will be useless. Because high heat destroys all nutritious content of it.
So the best way to eat flaxseeds as we mentioned above, is using ground flaxseeds. Roast them a little bit, grind and sprinkle on salad, mix with curd, oatmeal, fruit juice and consume.
The only way you can learn whether flax seeds help to control diabetes and your lifestyle is by including it in your diet. If you feel there is some good in it, you can continue with it. Most of the people have a positive outcome from the use of flaxseeds in their daily diet rather than using diabetes meds.
Diabetes is a serious disease. The only way to blood sugar control it is by taking the right steps at the right time. Steps like including the flax seeds in your menu will help you lead a healthier life and say goodbye to the problems caused by diabetes.