Plantar warts are skin conditions that happen due to an infection by the human papilloma virus (HPV). Here, we will talk about home remedies for warts on feet.
We call warts that grow on the plantar surface (soles of the feet) as plantar warts. The wart differs from a callus in that it does not hurt when you press it. Only a callus will hurt, but the wart will hurt when you press it from the side, that it, you squeeze it.
The virus can affect any part of the body and so you might find warts in the mouth or on the arms. Plantar warts might occur alone or as a cluster. In this post, we will tell you how to get rid of plantar warts.
What causes warts/Risk factor for plantar warts
The HPV enters the body through direct contact. This happens when someone who is already infected comes in contact with you. This occurs in the public bathrooms when you go for a shower. Or, you use a towel that another infected person has used.
Lymphocytes that destroy virus has to develop in the body to cure the wart. There are vaccines for genital virus conditions but none for plantar warts. Most warts go away without treatment.
If you have cuts, bruises, and abrasions on the bottom of your feet, then the chances of getting infected are more. Most of the people that contract plantar warts have a weakened immune system.
Also Read: Home Remedies for Sore Big Toe
Signs of warts
The wart is highly contagious and spreads very quickly to other parts of the body if you do not take care. Look for these signs:
- Small rough, grainy growth under your foot.
- Hard, thickened skin at a specific point on your sole.
- Black pinpoints.
- Smooth surface on the skin with a yellowish color.
Since they are infectious, it will spread even when it bleeds. So, be careful when you dress the wounds.
Home Remedies for Plantar Warts
Most of the cures take weeks to occur, but you may see results within two or three days at times. If the pain increases, or if there is no significant improvement, do not persist with the cure. Try another remedy.
1. Banana peel to get rid of warts
The active substance in this cure is the inside of the banana peel, the whitish layer sticking to the insides of the banana. This has healing and regenerative properties that help to fight the infection causing the wart.
- Peel a banana and scrape off the inner layer of the skin.
- Tape this to the underside of the feet where you have the wart.
- Put a tape over this and go to sleep.
- The active ingredients in the banana peel will act on the wart throughout the night.
- Within a few days, the wart will reduce in size.
Use a fresh peel every night. Make sure the tape is secure so you do not lose it in the night. In the morning, wash the area of the wart with warm water and scrape the skin using a plastic spoon or knife. Wash with warm water. This is an effective home remedy for plantar warts.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar to treat wart on foot
The acetic acid is helpful in preventing the wart from spreading. It acts on the infection and fights the pathogens. The skin becomes soft and begins to peel in two or three days.
Clean the area of the sole where you have the wart. Dry it and apply one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar on the warts. You can use a cotton ball to keep the apple cider vinegar in place.
Do this every morning and every night. You will see a good reduction in the size of the wart within a few days. This is one of the best home remedies for warts on feet.
3. Duct Tape to cure warts on feet
This is one of the simplest home remedies for plantar warts. Take two pieces of duct tape and apply them in the manner of a cross over the wart. Leave it there throughout the day. Replace the tape in the morning and evening after your bath.
The duct tape acts to block the virus from spreading and growing. By blocking the air, you are killing the virus. This helps get rid of the virus completely.
At times, the wart may swell and become septic. If this happens, then consult your doctor or nearest clinic for help.
4. Castor oil – Best home remedies for warts on feet
Castor oil is a thick fluid that sticks to the surface of the skin. This helps cut off the air that is allowing the virus to survive.
- Apply a generous amount of castor oil using a cotton swab on the wart.
- Leave it overnight.
- Use a loose covering to protect your bed-sheets.
- You have to repeat this for 5-6 days to see any results.
Make sure that you rub off the dead skin in the morning using a soft, plastic spoon. Otherwise, the dead cells will accumulate and you will face a bigger problem the next day. This is one of the effective home remedies for warts on feet.
5. Garlic to get rid of a wart in one day
Garlic is a potent anti-inflammatory and antiviral agent. For this reason, it has an effective action against plantar warts.
Crush two to three pods of garlic and apply this to the soles of the feet before you go to bed. Wash the soles in the morning and apply fresh garlic in the night. This is one of the effective home remedies for plantar warts.
Prevention of the ailment
- Do not use public baths often. If you do, do not use the common towel and soap they give. Carry your own with you.
- If you see other people having warts, avoid contact with them. This is the best way to prevent warts from spreading to your body.
- Keep your feet and hands dry always. Wear shoes or sandals while walking in public areas such as gym showers and swimming pools.
- Do not use pumice on warts as this may make it bleed.
If you see any growth on the soles of the feet and don’t know what to do, consult your doctor. He can identify the wart without any lab test or imaging.
Then, you can go on to use home remedies for warts on feet. If you notice any change in the way you walk or move, then it must be happening due to the discomfort you feel in the feet. Then, it is time to see a doctor.