The energy we get for various activities including the metabolic activities such as blood circulation and breathing comes from the food we eat. When we have a problem with the digestive system, the whole system of producing energy from food gets upset. For some people, the symptoms may not be present.
Indigestion, known as dyspepsia has plenty to do with the secretion of digestive juices in the stomach. One might experience symptoms after overeating or after eating spicy foods.
Problems with digestion might happen due to improper movement of the food in the digestive tract. The digestive problems could be one of these:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Celiac disease
It might be triggered by smoking, thyroid disease, stomach infection, medication, ulcers, and stress. Other reasons include constipation lactose intolerance, diverticulitis, food intolerance, and heartburn. Find how to get rid of constipation fast at home.
If you have moved to a new place, then your body might have trouble adjusting to the food. Lack of exercise, poor diet, dehydration, excessive consumption of alcohol, and improper hygiene could also be the cause for your indigestion.
Also read: Yoga poses to improve digestion
Digestive problems Symptoms
It is easy to recognize the symptoms of digestive problems since we do not have them in the normal course of the day. Only when something is out of control we begin to feel the uneasiness that shows that we have a problem. The common symptoms of digestive problems include these here:
- Growling stomach
- Burning sensation in upper abdomen
- Acidic taste
- Abdominal pain
Everyone has these symptoms though only for a short duration and these are highly infrequent. You should consider active treatment for indigestion only if the symptoms persist for more than 3 days.
Natural home remedies for Digestive Problems
The digestive process gets boosted by ginger. Ginger helps stimulate the secretion of the digestive enzymes and juices. This makes ginger an effective agent for indigestion. This is especially so if the reason is overeating.
- Crush a 5-inch piece of ginger and take the juice.
- Take 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add a pinch of black salt and table salt.
- Mix all the ingredients and add to one glass of water.
- Have this to get immediate relief for your indigestion.
Combine superfoods into your diet
Super foods such as flax and chia seeds, sprouted beans and maize, fish, cabbage, and nuts help to keep the digestive system ticking in a proper manner.
- Have 30-40 grams of nuts daily. This can be pecans, almonds, walnuts, or any other kind of nuts.
- Have fish 3-4 times a week. The fish has omega-3 fatty acids that help to promote healthy digestion.
Apple cider vinegar
The apple cider vinegar is the most common solution for an upset stomach. It has pectin, a water-soluble fibre that helps augment the bowel movement.
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass.
- Add half-a-cup of water and two teaspoons of honey.
- Stir well and then have it in one go.
- Repeat this three to four times a day.
Also Read: Acv health benefits
Probiotic foods boosts the digestive system because it has bacteria that enhance the health aspects. The bifidobacteria and the lactobacillus are good bacteria that restore the natural balance in the gut. These bacteria are useful for treating digestive ailments such as abdominal bloating, IBS, flatulence, and diarrhea.
- The best probiotic foods include miso, kefir, Greek yogurt, sour pickles, buttermilk, tempeh, and kimchi.
- Include one or two items in your daily diet.
Also read: Gastroparesis home remedies
This is very useful for supporting the digestive system. People use fennel seeds commonly for treating bloating and intestinal spasms. You can also use for low stomach acidity and heartburn.
- Chew roasted fennel seeds after your meal as it helps digestion.
- Have a ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds with water for indigestion.
- Make fennel tea by crushing the fennel and steeping it in water.
You can counter the high acidity of the stomach through this simple remedy. The alkalinity of the baking soda helps neutralize the acids and maintains the perfect pH in the stomach. This is a common kitchen remedy that one can use at any time.
- Stir in half-a-spoon of baking soda in one glass of water.
- Wait until everything dissolves completely. If it does not dissolve completely, discard the sediments.
- Drink this twice a day.
Herbs have several useful health-giving properties that helps the body maintain a healthy position. They increase the blood flow and augment the digestive process. Herbs absorb the gases and reduce the stresses. They eliminate pollutants from the system.
- Make infusions with lemon balm, fennel seeds, peppermint, chamomile flowers by infusing the herbs using boiling water. Strain the water and drink after cooling.
- Have a glass thrice a day.
- Note that peppermint increases heartburn. So, avoid it if you already have heartburn.
Also Read: Chamomile benefits and uses
Change your lifestyle
First thing to do is to avoid unhealthy foods. Do not eat food containing saturated fats and trans fats as the type you find in fast foods.
- Relax more as you eat.
- Concentrate on the food chewing and swallowing process.
- If needed, change the room where you eat so you are more comfortable.
Exercise more often
Exercise is the ideal stress buster. It improves your digestion and calms the mind.
- Do a set of 30 sit-ups early in the morning.
- Go for a walk.
- Take time out to make your exercise count.
One uses coriander in cooking since it helps to increase the digestive system. Eating coriander will improve the secretion of the digestive juices and the stomach becomes calm.
- Roast 2-3 teaspoons of cilantro seed. Powder it and mix it in a glass of buttermilk. Have this daily.
- Reduce acidity in the stomach immediately by taking fresh coriander juice with buttermilk.
Always consult your doctor before you take any treatment unless you are 100% of the cause of indigestion. Also, consult your physician if you take some treatment and things become worse.
Having a properly working digestive system helps us lead a normal and happy life. However, when you have some problems with the digestive system, you must take prompt action to remain healthy and active.