Generally, sore throat while pregnant refers to a painful condition of inflammation and infection due to the action of harmful bacteria or virus inside your throat. It may be accompanied by a cough, runny nose, sneezing, watery and red eyes, which are the symptoms of common cold. Here, we will talk about home remedies for sore throat while pregnant.
There are some other reasons like smoking, allergies, the presence of the pollutants in the air, etc., which can cause similar symptoms. You can feel the discomfort of a sore throat during your pregnancy also. You have to avoid medication to maintain a healthy pregnancy.
Natural remedies are the perfect solutions to cure a sore throat during pregnancy as they don’t have any kind of side effect.
Natural remedies for sore throat while pregnant
There are several types of home remedies, which can be used as sore throat remedies while pregnant. Some of these are listed below.
1. Turmeric milk to treat sore throat during pregnancy
Turmeric has been used in Indian and Chinese medicine since the olden times. The active ingredients in turmeric are phytochemical compounds such as demethoxycurcumin, bisdemethoxycurcumin, and curcumin.
It also has volatile oils such as zingiberene, atlantone, and turmerone. Because of these, turmeric has antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. That’s why it is the best remedy for sore throat and cough while pregnant. This single remedy is able to cure cold, cough, sore throat, flu etc.
- Take 250 gm milk and mix half tablespoon of turmeric power in it.
- Boil this milk for 7-8 minutes.
- Now put it off the flame and mix some sugar in it and strain.
- Consume this milk before going to bed for 3-4 days.
2. Carom seeds
As per Ayurveda, carom seeds are very effective to treat sore throat and cough. Carom seeds (Ajwain in hindi) are rich in antioxidants and has numerous anti-inflammatory properties that brings relief to chest congestion and helps in dealing with colds and sinuses.
- Take half liter water and mix 2 teaspoonful of carom seeds in it.
- Boil this water for 15 minutes. Now strain and mix some sea salt in this water.
- Use this water to do gargle for some time.
This natural medicine is very effective for throat infection and cough.
Honey has a number of medicinal properties. It acts as an antioxidant and helps to fight against bacterial and viral infections. Buckwheat honey contains the highest amount of antioxidants that help to cure bacterial, viral, and fungal infections and inflammation.
Daily intake of honey is advantageous to boost your immunity in the long-term.
- You can take one tablespoon of honey for a soothing effect to reduce irritation in your sore throat.
- One can also drink a glass of hot milk or a cup of chamomile tea with one tablespoon of honey.
- You should take this remedy at night when you will go to sleep.
Also Read: Natural ways to cure bad cough
4. Salt water to treat sore throat in pregnancy
You can do gargle using warm salt water to soothe your throat. Gurgling with salt water creates a higher concentration of salt barrier to pull out a greater amount of fluids from the region of infection and inflammation of a sore throat.
You can make salt water by mixing a half-teaspoon of salt in one glass of warm water. You can use this remedy at any time of the day to reduce soreness in the throat. This is best medicine for sore throat.
Also Read: Top 7 foods to fight cold and cough
5. Chamomile tea
Chamomile is made from dried chamomile flower. It contains an aromatic chemical component, which acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, and analgesic component. Chamomile tea helps to kill harmful bacteria and boosts your immunity.
It has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, which are helpful for healing your wounds and inflammation due to a sore throat.
You can drink a small cup of chamomile tea one or two times a day during your pregnancy, or you can inhale chamomile steam to get relief from sore throat.
A natural hybrid mint of spearmint and water-mint is called peppermint. Peppermint leaves contain many essential oils like menthone, menthol, and limonene. It is antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial and creates a cooling effect due to the presence of menthol.
Peppermint herbal tea reduces a sore throat. You can drink 2 cups of peppermint tea in a day. The procedure for making peppermint tea is as follows.
- Ingredients: One small branch of peppermint leaves or 1 drop of peppermint oil, sufficient boiled water in a teapot.
- Direction: Add peppermint leaves into boiled water of teapot. Cover it and leave it for 10 minutes. Then, pour it into a teacup and drink it immediately.
Also Check: 15 pregnancy problems and solutions
7. Fenugreek seeds
Using fenugreek seeds, topical oil or drinking fenugreek tea, can bring relief to your sore throat issues. Fenugreek seeds contain a good amount of fiber and minerals like iron, manganese, and magnesium. It acts as an anti-inflammatory agent to reduce the soreness in your throat. It is also an effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal component. This is a very effective sore throat medicine.
- You will need to take 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and 8 ounces of cold water and leave the mixture overnight.
- If you want to drink immediately, you will have to boil the mixture and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Then, strain the fenugreek seeds and drink the warm liquid like tea.
- You can gargle using this water instead of drinking the water three times a day.
- You can drink fenugreek tea for once in a day before taking your meal.
Also Read: How to treat heartburn during pregnancy?
8. Marshmallow root
It is highly mucilaginous. Marshmallow root has a higher anti-inflammatory property to cure your sore throat problems. It has an analgesic property to reduce pain and irritation in your sore throat. You can consume it as hot tea or a cold marshmallow root infusion.
- For making a cold infusion, you will have to fill one-fourth of a jar with cuttings of marshmallow root.
- Fill the rest of the jar with warm water and leave it for 4 to 12 hours to be infused.
- Then, strain and use it to cure your sore throat.
- For making the tea, you will have to take one and a half cup of water and 1 tablespoon of cut and sifted roots of marshmallow.
- Then, boil the mixture of water and marshmallow roots for 20 minutes on a low flame.
- Strain using a mesh strainer and drink. You may sip on it for the whole day to reduce your soreness.
Garlic has natural anti-bacterial property. You can add fresh garlic to your regular diet to get the benefits of the anti-microbial property. It contains an organosulfur compound like allicin, which offers resistance to infections.
Chewing a piece of raw garlic or sucking it for 15 minutes is the best way to use garlic for your sore throat. You can use garlic with some boiled vegetables like spinach, cabbage, broccoli, etc.
Also Read: Home remedies for back pain in pregnancy
10. Slippery elm
This tree is renowned for its inner reddish-brown bark. The outer bark is dark brown in color. The peelings from the inner reddish-brown barks of branches and twigs are used as a natural remedy for sore throat.
It creates a sticky gel called mucilage when the inner reddish-brown bark is mixed with water. Slippery elm offers a soothing effect and reduces the irritation in your throat. It acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
The inner reddish bark of the slippery elm is available in a dried powder form. It is also available as tablets, lozenges, coarse powder to make a poultice and fine powder to make extracts and tea.
- You can mix 2 tablespoons of the fine powder and 2 cups of boiling water.
- Then, cover it with a lid and leave it for a few minutes.
- After that, the slippery elm tea will be ready to drink.
- You can use this remedy 4 times per day before meals.
- If you want to make a poultice, you will have to mix boiled water with a coarse powder of the slippery elm and leave it to cool.
- Then, apply a poultice to your affected area.
If you have the symptoms of a sore throat while pregnant like the sensation of pain, difficulty in swallowing, white patches on your tonsils, sore and swollen gland in your jaw, you can use the above-mentioned remedies to get relief from sore throat during pregnancy. If still the problem persists, then it is advisable to consult your doctor.