Intestinal worms or stomach worms infest both the children and the adults alike. You do not see any external symptoms. Infected people can see segments of the worm (sometimes moving) in the stools. They can lead to blockage of the intestines.In this post, we will talk about home remedies for intestinal worms.
Pork tapeworm larvae sometimes move out of the intestine and migrate to other parts of the body such as the eye, brain, heart, or liver. These can lead to life-threatening consequences.
Intestinal worms causes
Some of the worms such as the tapeworm is passed on to us through the animals. The animals become infected when they drink contaminated water or while grazing in the fields.
When we eat under-cooked meat from the infected animals, the tapeworm gets into our body system. We can get the parasites through the air or water, through sexual contact, exposure to areas where there is an excess of parasites, or even through mosquitoes.
People who have a weak immune system are more likely to become affected. Areas where the hygiene is not proper help in the propagation of the disease.
Intestinal worms symptoms
Since you have different types of infestations from a variety of worms, the person will feel a range of symptoms. This includes the following:
- Frequent headaches
- Itching around the rectum
- Constant feelings of hunger
- Nutritional disorders
- Weight loss
- Restless sleep
- Bad breath
- Stomach pain
- Pain in the legs
You can treat these symptoms with over-the-counter medicines. You can take prescription medicines too. These will last for several days to several weeks depending on the type of infestation.
Natural home remedies for Intestinal Worms
Cucurbitacin is a chemical in pumpkin seeds that has anti-parasitic properties. It paralyses the parasites in the intestine. The parasites lose their hold on the intestine walls and soon are flushed out of the body.
- Peel and crush 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds.
- Boil three cups of water. Steep the crushed seeds in it.
- Allow to cool and drink the water.
- Alternatively, you can roast and crush pumpkin seeds and add honey to the mixture. Have this each morning on an empty stomach.
The unripe papaya is a widely used Ayurvedic medicine. It is very effective for treating intestinal worms. The latex of unripe papaya has papain, that has powerful anthelmintic properties. This helps destroy the worms in the intestine. You can use either the unripe fruit or the seeds for the treatment.
- Grind the papaya seeds and mix with milk. Drink on an empty stomach for three or four days.
- Take juice of raw papaya and mix with an equal amount of honey. Drink this on an empty stomach. Wait for two hours and then drink warm milk with two teaspoons of castor oil in it.
One of the most effective agents for ridding parasites in the stomach is coconut. The coconut oil coats the stomach and makes the parasites weak. This helps to move them out of the system.
- Have one tablespoon of crushed coconut oil every day at breakfast. Alternatively, you can drink one tablespoon of coconut oil for three days.
- Follow up the breakfast routine with one glass of milk with castor oil in it.
You can use wormwood flowers to treat intestinal worms. One can also use the oil extracted from the parts of the plant for the same purpose.
- The powder of the dried flower is used as medication. The dose is 8-16 grams per dose.
- Use 2 ml of the oil in 120 ml of water. This infusion will kill the bacteria in the rectum.
- Prepare a mixture of the oil with olive oil. The olive oil must be eight times the wormwood oil by weight.
Turmeric has antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties that help to get rid of the worms. People use turmeric for a host of other reasons such as bloating, gas, nausea, and abdominal pain treatment. All these are symptoms of intestinal worms.
- Make raw turmeric juice. Add a pinch of salt. Drink it early in the morning on an empty stomach. You can make the juice by adding half-a-teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water. Add the pinch of salt. Drink for one week.
- Add two teaspoons of turmeric powder to a glass of buttermilk. Have this daily for three days.
Neem has good anti-parasitic properties. It also removes toxins present in the body.
- Grind fresh leaves of the neem tree to a paste. Have this with water on an empty stomach for 6-7 days.
- Fry the flowers of the neem plant in ghee (clarified butter) and have this with rice.
Due to their anti-parasitic, bactericidal, and antiseptic properties, cloves find much use for treating intestinal worms. They prevent the re-infestation by the worms too.
- Powder about 10 grams of cloves. Steep this in one glass of water. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink this thrice daily for one week.
This anti-parasitic food item is hugely popular in most parts of India. We see raw garlic has amino acids containing sulfur that help to kill the parasites. In addition, it is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic.
- Crush three cloves of garlic and have it on an empty stomach daily for a week.
- You can add the crushed the garlic to milk and have it. It has the best effect when you drink it on an empty stomach.
The shelled seeds of the ash gourd are useful for promoting tissue growth. This property finds much use in eliminating parasitic worms.
- Shell the seeds and crush it. Add this to coconut milk. Have it daily for three to four days.
All the parts of the Vasaka tree – bark, flowers, leaves, and fruit will help remove intestinal worms.
- Boil the bark and roots of the Vasaka tree in water. Have about 30-40 ml of this decoction two or three times a day for a week.
Avoid eating raw meat or fish. Cook meat at 145-160 degrees Fahrenheit and let it cool for three minutes before you begin the meal. You can freeze meat for 24 hours to kill the tapeworm eggs.
Wash your hands with soap and water especially when you prepare your meals. When you travel, make sure you have your meals from recognized and upscale restaurants. Follow these home remedies for intestinal worms and live a healthy life.