Bronchitis is a kind of respiratory disease where the mucous membranes in the bronchial passages of the lungs get blocked. This happens due to inflammation and swelling of the bronchial tubes. Bronchitis manifests in two forms – acute and chronic. In this article, we will talk about home remedies for bronchitis, symptoms and causes.
Acute bronchitis lasts for one to three weeks while chronic bronchitis lasts between three months and two years. This type of bronchitis needs regular medical treatment as it is a long-term disorder.
Bronchitis Symptoms and Causes
The cause of bronchitis is the usual virus or bacteria. These irritate the bronchial tubes and make breathing difficult for the patient.
Other reasons include allergy, infections such as coughs and colds, changes in the environmental conditions such as increased pollution and smoke, and dusty conditions or fog. The symptoms of the condition include the following:
- Tightness across the chest
- Pain in the chest
- Nasal congestion
- Muscle ache
- Coughing with mucous production
- Complications in breathing
Top 7 effective home remedies for bronchitis
Honey has antibacterial as well as antiviral properties. It soothes the airways and the throat. It helps augment the immune system. Take honey often to get best relief for bronchitis.
- Among the many ways to take honey, the most popular one is to add honey to the regular cup of tea.
- Or, you could make a mixture containing powdered cloves (one or two pods), fresh ginger paste, a pinch of black pepper powder, and one teaspoon of honey.
- Have this early in the morning.
- You could place sliced onion in honey in a bowl and wait for 5-6 hours.
- Then, have this honey one teaspoon at a time four times a day.
- Another option is to add one teaspoon of honey to one spoonful of lemon juice.
- Mix well and have it morning and evening.
This is one of the best home remedies for bronchitis and used for chronic bronchitis treatment according to ayurveda.
Oranges have great nutritive value that includes vitamins and minerals such as folate, thiamine, vitamin A, vitamin C, hesperidin, flavonoids, magnesium, copper, proteins, and fibre. Being one of the richest sources of vitamin C, they help boost the immune system.
They have a host of healing properties as the vitamin C stimulates the entire immune system in our body. It is one of the fundamental elements of collagen that we need for the tissue and cell repair in the body.
Have one glass of orange juice before your evening meal. This gives you time to digest the drink. Or, you can add orange slices to the salad to spice it up with vitamin C.
You can get relief from the cough associated with bronchitis by using turmeric. Turmeric is an effective anti-carcinogen and has wonderful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It prevents arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and helps treat uveitis.
Turmeric boosts the immune system and lowers the cholesterol. It helps soothe the airways and lowers the incidence of bronchitis attacks. Find health benefits of turmeric.
- Have tea with turmeric powder twice a day to get the best benefit.
- Mix fresh ginger juice and turmeric powder with the morning tea and have it.
- This is beneficial when taken before your midday meal.
You can also add turmeric to the dishes so that you get benefited. This is one of the effective home remedies for bronchitis and best cough medicine for bronchitis.
One of the most effective treatments for cough and bronchitis is the steam therapy using any essential oil, especially eucalyptus oil. The soothing effect of vapors of the oil is due to its antibacterial nature.
You can use the oil in two to three ways. One is to apply the eucalyptus oil on your chest. This is an effective way of driving the mucus out of your chest. The other is the vapour therapy.
- Pour some hot water (vapour should be rising) into a bowl and put 3-4 drops of eucalyptus oil in it.
- Put a towel over your head and bend over the bowl so that you breathe in the vapours of the oil.
- Do this at least thrice a week to get best results.
Mustard is a popular spice with many health giving properties. It has found use in treating colds and sinus problems since the olden times. Mustard leaves help relieve pain, spasms, and increases blood circulation in the capillaries.
It shows its analgesic effect and helps in treating people with paralysis in the limbs and rheumatism.
The mustard seeds are a rich source of minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium. They help relieve the symptoms of bronchitis by augmenting the metabolic system.
It also has vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin A. Drinking a decoction made from the mustard seeds help remove the toxins in the body especially those due to alcohol and narcotics.
This is another age old cure for many ailments including bronchitis. You can use Epsom salt in many ways but the most popular one is to have a bath. Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt to your bath water.
Immerse your body in it and wait for 20 minutes. This will help stimulate the sputum in your chest and bring it out. It gives relief for your throat and helps open the airways. It you have severe bronchitis, take bath twice a day.
A simple method of treating acute bronchitis is by using garlic. Garlic has antiviral and antibiotic properties. It has been in use since the olden times to treat a variety of ailments.
It helps to stimulate the mucus and bring them out of the chest. You can use garlic alone but for those who find it hard to swallow the raw garlic here is another solution.
- Crush 3-4 pods of garlic, peel and chop them.
- Add them to a glass of milk and bring the milk to a boil.
- Now, cool the milk and have it.
- Do this every night before going to bed.
- Your ailment will disappear soon.
It is good to know more than one cure for your ailment. Use any one of them but stop use if you feel any discomfort or develop unwanted side-effects.
If the side-effects persist, go see a doctor at once. If you want to know how to treat chronic bronchitis then use our simple but effective home remedies for bronchitis and stay safe.