Food poisoning may sound strange to you, but most of us have gone through this at some time or the other. Here, we will talk about home remedies for food poisoning.
You experience vomiting and feeling of unease and you usually get it after you have food off the streets. There are many food poisoning remedies that work to control the food poisoning. In this post, we see how we can do this. But, first a look at the food poisoning symptoms.
Symptoms of Food Poisoning
The signs of food poisoning point at the interruption in the digestive process. You see this in one of the following ways:
- Abdominal pain
If you experience these signs, you must immediately see your doctor, or you may try one of the following natural remedies.
Home remedies for food poisoning treatment
1. Lemon for food poisoning cure
Lemon has plenty of Vitamin C that is an antioxidant. It has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. The lemon has acid that kills the bacteria. This gives relief because all the pathogens get removed. Also, lemon is accessible with ease as most of the kitchens will have lemon always for cooking purposes. This is one of the best home remedies for food poisoning due to bad or decayed food.
- Squeeze the juice of two lemons and add 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Have this when you get the stomachache.
- Wait for half an hour and then repeat the dose.
- If you do not have honey, you can use warm water to mix the juice of the lemons.
Having lemon helps promote the absorption of water. When you suffer from poisoning, you will get dehydrated. Drinking the lemon juice will increase the water absorption immediately. This is one of the best home remedies for food poisoning.
2. Garlic for food poisoning treatment
Garlic is a powerful agent for fighting the pathogens in the food. It has allicin that promotes digestion and kills pathogens. Its anti-fungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory property helps the body remove the poison effect. It helps relieve stomach pain and gives relief for diarrhea.
- Have fresh garlic. Peel it and crush it to release the active ingredients in it.
- Have it when you feel the pain or have uneasiness in the stomach.
- If you feel it spicy, you can add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- If you have it in hand, take the garlic capsules. This is good for those who cannot swallow garlic.
Though garlic is a good home remedy for food poisoning, it may not suit everyone due to its pungent nature. For them, the capsules will be the better alternative. The garlic capsules will take time to act and so it is preferable if you can have crushed garlic straight if possible.
3. Ginger with honey is best medicine for food poisoning
Honey is a powerful anti-fungal and antibacterial food item. On its own, it can fight digestive problems and food poisoning. When you mix it with ginger, it becomes more potent. This is due to the powerful digestive nature of ginger.
The therapeutic and preventive nature of ginger is well known to man. They have used ginger not only for digestive complaints but also as a remedy for vomiting and nausea. This is a good home remedy for food poisoning.
- You can make a tea and add crushed ginger and honey to it.
- This will enhance the curative effect and help you recover from the poisoning fast.
4. Cumin seeds for food poisoning
Cumin seeds go by the name of jeera. It helps ease stomach inflammation and give good relief for abdominal discomfort. This is one of the best home remedies for food poisoning.
- To get instant relief, you can chew some cumin seeds or make a juice and drink it.
- To make the decoction, take a cup of water and boil it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let it steep for a while.
- Filter this and have it when it is warm and drinkable.
You can make many preparations using cumin seeds.
- Take 1 teaspoon each of cumin seeds, pepper, and crush them.
- Add this to boiling water along with some honey and crushed ginger.
- This will remove all the toxins from your body at once.
- Do not have the mixture when it is very hot.
- Wait until it cools down but have it when it is warm.
5. Basil to cure food poisoning fast
People have used basil leaves to treat the discomfort of the abdomen for ages. This is an excellent herb to treat food poisoning due to its excellent antimicrobial properties. It calms your stomach immediately. All the symptoms of food poisoning will soon disappear. Read health benefits of basil leaves.
You can have basil in many ways.
- Take a cup of yogurt and add three to four basil crushed basil leaves.
- Add some sea salt and pepper powder to this and have it.
- You can also add a few drops of basil oil to a glass of water and have it.
- You can drink this water throughout the day since it kills bacteria slowly.
6. Apple cider vinegar
Good for the gastrointestinal lining of the intestine, the apple cider vinegar is a wonderful agent to help calm the symptoms of food poisoning. It gets rid of the bacteria and stabilizes the stomach. It proves effective against food-borne pathogens such as Escherichia coli.
- The simplest way to take the apple cider vinegar is to add 1 tablespoon to 1 glass of water.
- Stir it and have it.
- Else, you can also add it to lemon juice and honey as this will give a better taste.
7. Fenugreek and yogurt
Yogurt is a great probiotic agent. It helps to settle the stomach and remove pathogens. The antimicrobial properties get enhanced by the addition of the fenugreek. Fenugreek seeds are famous for providing relief for stomach discomforts. You can crush the seeds and add it to the yogurt or soak them for one hour and have them.
When you have food poisoning, avoid food items such as dairy products, caffeine, alcohol, processed food, and nicotine products. While most of the home remedies for food poisoning treatment have no side effects, it may sometime happen that your symptoms worsen.
The bad signs are blood in the urine, diarrhea that does not stop for several days, develop a high fever, or the dehydration symptoms continue. If this happens, go to the nearest clinic immediately and get professional help.