Earache do not occur often, but when they do, they cause an unwanted amount of trouble. The way to deal with earaches is not to reach for the medicine bottle but to search for easy natural remedies. There are many effective home remedies for earache that will give you or your child relief.
Top 7 solutions and home remedies for earache
Use of cooking ingredients, simple exercises, and application of heat might be enough in most cases. Depending on the severity of the case, you might have to persist for some time and even try more than one remedy. The top remedies for earache you could find in any home are these:
You have instances where an earache happens due to pressure in the ear canal. You have specific exercises meant to ease the pressure and give you relief from your ear pain.
- Sit in a chair of a sofa in a comfortable position.
- Turn your face to the right shoulder. Breathe deeply. Wait for 2-3 seconds.
- Turn your face to look forward.
- Now, turn your face the other way.
- Move your shoulders up to the ceiling. Do it when your face is turned to the side.
- Relax the shoulders and drop them to normal position.
You can do this exercise practically anywhere. It will help stimulate your inner energy too.
Tea tree oil
The wonderful tea tree oil is found in most homes, and if you do not have it, you can buy it. It makes a useful addition to the household ingredients. Tea tree oil has powerful antibacterial properties. It is also anti-inflammatory in nature which makes it useful for putting down swellings. Also, it is antiseptic and anti-fungal making it very effective in fighting all kinds of pathogens.
- Take 2 drops of tea tree oil.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Mix these together and set aside.
- Take 2 drops of the mixture and put it in your ear. Turn your ear to face the ceiling when you put the oil in.
- Let it remain for 5 minutes, and then,tilt your ear so that it faces down. If there is any fluid flowing out, wipe it clean.
This treatment should be done both in the morning and the evening. This is useful for cleaning the ears. This is one of effective home remedies for earache.
Also Read: Otorrhea home remedies for ear discharge
You can use the cold compress for getting relief just like you do when you want to ease muscular pain. Ice-packs work for the earaches too. This works because the nerves passage channel for the pain is small. The ice pack sensations are transmitted through a bigger band of nerve. This suppresses the pain message. You can use an ice pack on the ear and replace it with a new one after 10 minutes.
Do not overdo this as it is not advisable to numb your nerves altogether for a long time.
This is one of the age-old remedies that we use even today. The way is straightforward, and it might help relieve your earache.
- Tilt your ear so you can place two drops of hydrogen peroxide inside your ear.
- Wait for one minute.
- Tilt your ear down to the floor.
- Wipe the fluid clean. If needed, use one more application.
- Use distilled water to clean the ear out. Once all the debris has come out, wipe the ear clean.
This method is generally safe and works if the ear pain is due to clogging by debris. If those do not work, you can check out some more home remedies given here. This is one of mostly used home remedies for earache.
This method uses the antiseptic and antibacterial properties of garlic. It also helps prevent inflammation through its anti-fungal activity.
- The method of preparation of the oil is like this. Take 4-5 cloves of garlic and heat it in a pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Then, remove from the heat.
- Crush the entire thing using a blender and strain it. Store the oil in a container.
- Use 2-3 drops of the oil at a time. Use a dropper to put the oil into the ear.
- Keep the ear tilted for a few minutes and then let the oil flow out.
- Wipe the ear with a soft cloth.
- Repeat this both in the morning and the evening.
This will take care of any kind of ear infection. You must continue this method for 3-4 days at least to get the best result. This is one of effective home remedies for earache.
Renowned for its good action against inflammation, ginger is one of the most well-known home ingredients for treating various ailments.
- The method of preparation of the ginger oil. Take a 2- inch piece of ginger and wash it under running water to remove all the dirt.
- Grate the ginger and boil it in sesame oil. Take 2 tablespoons of sesame oil for a 2-inch piece of ginger. You can use olive oil if you prefer that to sesame oil.
- Squeeze and filter using cheesecloth and store in bottles.
- Put two drops of the oil into your ear. Tilt the ear and wait for 1 minute. Turn your head to make the ear face the ground and wipe the fluid coming out of the ear.
Ginger has excellent pain killing properties that make it a top choice for many health-care givers. You can also consume ginger orally since the properties will not change but only become enhanced.
Bishop’s Weed Oil (Ajwain or Carom Seeds)
The Bishop’s Weed is called Ajwain and find a use for digestive problems mainly. It also helps solve a variety of ailments including coughs, colds, and earache. Prepare the oil by heating the seeds of the Bishop’s Weed in sesame oil. Add suitable amounts of a carrier oil like Rosemary oil. Now, use two drops of the mixture in your ear and let it sit for a while. Do this twice a day.
Since these home remedies for earache do not have any side effect, you can use more than one solution to try and get relief. However, if the pain persists, you may have to consult your doctor. Avoid digging into the ears with sharp devices such as hairpins.