Boils and carbuncles (Baltod in Hindi) occur due to the presence of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. Boils begin as infections of the hair follicle that become painful and begin to grow bigger. The boils, also termed as fur-uncles, become a painful bump if left untreated. A carbuncle is a deeper skin infection that affects a group of hair follicles.
Useful and Practical Home Remedies for Boils (Baltod)
Turmeric has natural anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties. It purifies the blood and removes free radicals through its antioxidant property. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, acts on the skin abscess. It prevents the recurrence of the boil by acting on the root cause of the formation of the boil. This is due to its germicidal property.
- You can use turmeric in the form of a paste.
- Rub a piece of fresh turmeric root on a stone or rough surface.
- Use a little water, soon you will have the paste of turmeric.
- To make the root soft, soak the turmeric root in water for 20 minutes.
- Leave the paste to dry on the boil. After 2-3 hours, you can wipe it clean.
Also Read: Turmeric powder benefits for skin problems
Indian lilac (Neem)
Neem, which is the common name for the Indian lilac, has anti-microbial, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties. Due to this, it takes care of your baltod easily. It is used to enhance the health of the skin and to treat a variety of diseases including chicken pox. Neem has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, antifungal, antiulcer, anti-hyperglycaemic, immune-modulatory, anti-mutagenic, antiviral, anti-bacterial, and antioxidant properties. This makes it one of the most powerful home remedies to cure your boils or any skin infections.
- Soak some fresh neem leaves in water for 2 hours.
- Grind it to a paste and apply this paste to the area where you have the boils.
- The neem paste will reduce the boils and they dry away within days.
Onions have been used for centuries to cure boils. Onion increases the blood circulation and work their heat on the boil. This makes the boil to erupt and soon it dries off.
- The way to apply the onion is to put a thick slice of the onion on the boil.
- Wrap it with a bandage so that onion stays on the boil.
- Leave it on and replace in the morning with a fresh slice of onion.
- Keep this on until the boil dries off.
It is one of the best remedies for skin afflictions. It is an age-old remedy that works its magic by purifying the blood of toxins and thereby depleting the boil. When this is done continuously for 3-4 days, the boil reduces and becomes dry.
- To apply the garlic, crush 2-3 cloves and place it on the boil.
- Loosely bandage it and leave it covered for the entire day.
- The next day use fresh cloves of garlic and bandage it.
Potatoes have flavonoids and alkaloids that are good for the skin. It is already having good amounts of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, manganese, Vitamin C, phosphorus, iron, and B-complex vitamins. Supposedly, the cure occurs due to the osmotic action where the water is drawn out of the boil by the potato.
- Take a thick section of the potato, preferably sliced down the middle.
- Keep the cut section on the boil. Use a plaster to secure the potato in place.
- Leave it on for at least 4-6 hours.
Cumin seeds can drain the pus and dry out the boil. It helps relieve the pain and inflammation. It helps prevent the future occurrence of the baltod.
- Grind 2 teaspoonful of cumin seeds with water.
- Apply this paste to the boil. Allow it to dry.
- Do this twice a day for two days.
A bread poultice is useful for treating a range of infections including boils, rashes, skin infections, and bruises. The bread pulls the toxins from the boils and thus renders the boil ineffective.
- You can make a poultice by using two slices of bread.
- Add water or milk to the bread. Once it is soaked, mash it with a spoon or fork.
- Then, crumble it and apply it to the skin on the area where the boils are.
- Cover it with a light cloth bandage to keep bread crumbs in place.
- Leave the poultice to dry. Wet it with more milk or water as the poultice dries out.
Black seed oil
This has the property to cure boils and carbuncles fast. It has been used for centuries to help people deal with boils. Black seed oil promotes skin health and so it proves useful in dealing with the boil.
- Add ½ teaspoon of black seed oil into any drink you have. D
- o this twice a day for best results. It will cure the boils.
Warm Epsom salt bath
This bath is a wonderful way to ease the cracked heels and to get relief for your boils. The Epsom salt helps to draw the pus out and drain it. The heat opens the head of the boil and makes it to rupture. This way the boil cures fast.
- Make a poultice with a soft cloth and soak it in Epsom salt solution.
- Leave it to dry.
- As the poultice dries, add more salt water.
- Keep the poultice on for 4-5 hours.
Improve the resistance of the body to infections and pathogens by including food items that have antioxidants. Fruits, leafy vegetables, and nuts help you build good resistance. Wash your hands and feet with water in the morning and evening to prevent the recurrence of boils and carbuncles or baltod. Do avoid sharing towels and bed-sheet with other members of the family.