Asthma is a very common lung disease which results in difficulty in breathing. There are two kinds of this disease- acute asthma or chronic asthma. When there is any kind of obstruction to the flow of air inside the lungs it causes asthma attacks. In this article, we will talk about home remedies for asthma treatment.
Though the exact cause behind this disease isn’t known to us, but it is often triggered by various conditions such as respiratory infections, sulphites in food, air pollution, weather conditions, allergies, certain medications and also emotions. The main symptoms include shortness of breath, coughing, chest tightening, wheezing.
There are many different medications available for asthma treatment. But you can always try for some effortless natural remedies for asthma to help with the pain and discomfort. Some of the best remedies are written below, you can try out whichever is most suitable for you or works best for you.
Top 7 Home Remedies for Asthma
Along with curing cough, cold and various other ailments it is also known to be a well-known treatment for asthma. It has been found by researchers that ginger contains some compounds that reduce the inflammation of the airway and also stall airway contraction. This is one of very effective home remedies for asthma. Find natural cure for cough treatment.
- You can mix ginger juice, honey and pomegranate juice equally and drink one tablespoon of this two to three times daily.
- Drinking one tablespoon of the mixture made by adding one and a half cups of water to one teaspoon of ground ginger at bedtime also helps.
- Add one inch of ginger cut into small pieces to a pot of boiling water, wait for five minutes for it to infuse and then drink it.
- Eating raw ginger with salt also works effectively.
Regular coffee has enough caffeine that can help keep asthma attacks at bay as the caffeine acts as bronchodilator. Drinking hot coffee will relax and clear out the airways which help you breathe easily.
Better results are observed by the use of stronger coffee. Although you shouldn’t drink black coffee more than three times in a day. Instead of coffee you can also choose to drink hot black tea. But using caffeine as a regular treatment is not advised. Read health benefits of coffee.
Pure eucalyptus oil has decongestant properties and works as an efficient treatment against the symptoms of asthma. The chemical present in it known as eucalyptol is known to help break up mucus. This is one of very effective home remedies for asthma. Use this Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil.
- Before you go to sleep put a few drops of the oil on a paper towel and place it on your head so that you get to smell the aroma while you sleep.
- Alternatively, adding two to three drops of the oil to boiling water and then breathing in the steam will have similar results. Deeper breaths will give faster results.
Honey for asthma treatment
Honey is known as one of the oldest natural remedy for asthma. It contains alcohol and ethereal oils which cures the symptoms of asthma. This is one of proven home remedies for asthma according to ayurveda.
- For some people positive results are achieved just by inhaling the smell of honey.
- A teaspoon of honey can be mixed in a glass of hot water and drunk slowly throughout the day.
- Half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a teaspoon of honey if consumed just before going to sleep will let you sleep better by removing phlegm from the throat.
Asthma patients are usually deficit of vitamin C. As lemons are a great source o vitamin C and antioxidants they can help decrease the symptoms of asthma. If you regularly drink the juice of half lemon mixed with water and sugar you’ll experience fewer asthma attacks.
Some other fruits that help reduce asthma symptoms include blueberries, oranges, strawberries and papayas. You should also keep in mind not to use bottled lemon juice and not to take these fruits during an asthma attack. Find Health benefits of warm lemon water.
These seed are better known as Bishop’s weed or ajwain. They are used to treat only mild asthma as it behaves like a bronchodilator because it dilates the bronchial tubes of the lungs. This is one of proven home remedies for asthma according to ayurveda.
- You can add a teaspoon of carom seeds to boiling water and inhale the steam or you can choose to drink it.
- Also placing a handful of carom seeds on your chest and neck after wrapping it up in a piece of cotton cloth and heating it gives great results.
- If a paste of carom seeds and jaggery and is heated up and consumed daily you’ll get relief, but diabetes patients can’t try this method.
Figs have great nutritional properties which help promote the respiratory heath of a person. They can also drain phlegm and lessen other breathing difficulties. Three dried figs should be washed properly and soaked overnight in a cup of water.
The next morning on an empty stomach you should eat those figs and drink the water in which they were soaked. This treatment should be continued for a few months.
There are many other remedies that work, such as garlic, mustard oil, onions, etc. Other than these you should try and recognize the stuff that triggers your asthma and simply try to avoid them.
You should always stay clear of any kind of respiratory infections, irritants, air pollution or any allergens.
Different herbs help with asthma. You can add herbs like sage, oregano, turmeric, rosemary, ginger, etc. in the food that you cook. Find sage herb health benefits.
Omega-3 supplements help reduce the symptoms. You can consult your physician about them or you can opt to eat cold water fish like mackerel, salmon, herring and cod.
Packaged and processed food has artificial food additives and also preservatives, so they must be avoided at all cost as they can trigger an asthma attack.
The fats contained in whole milk have a slight defensive effect against the asthma symptoms, so milk should be consumed regularly.
But those who are lactose intolerant as they have lactase deficiency or have an allergy to milk proteins should not consume it at all as it might cause an asthma attack.
Massaging the chest with mustard oil and camphor also gives relief from many of the asthma symptoms. There are lot of natural home remedies for asthma treatment.