Euphorbia hirta or asthma plant is an erect or prostrate annual herb that grows 60 cm in length. In this article, we will talk about Euphorbia hirta uses, health benefits and common name.
It has solid, hairy stem that produces white latex. Leaves are simple, elliptical, and hairy with a finely dentate margin. Leaves are arranged in opposite pairs on the stem. The unisexual flowers occur in axillary cymes at every leaf node. The fruit capsule has three valves. It has tiny, oblong, red seeds that have four sides.
Euphorbia hirta common name
The common name for this plant is asthma plant. People also call it Cat’s Hair, snakeroot, and Bara dudhi.
Euphorbia hirta botanical name and family
The botanical name for this plant is Euphorbia hirta. It belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family.
Geological places where asthma plant grows
This tropical plant is a native to India, and you find it growing by the roadsides. You find it in all states of India such as TamilNadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal. In South America, you find it growing in Suriname.
Euphorbia hirta uses and health benefits
All parts of the asthma plant – the leaves, flowers, and sap have specific applications in treating ailments. Here is a look at some of the ways one may use this plant for treating various ailments.
- Immune system: It helps to improve the resistance to diseases. It stimulates the response of the body when there are pathogens.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Asthma plant brings down inflammation. Apply the paste of the leaves on the joints of the hands and legs to get immediate relief from gout and arthritis pain.
- Antiparasitic: When you have parasites such as tapeworms, you will feel tired and experience a loss of appetite. Use the decoction made from the leaves of the Euphorbia hirta to get relief. It kills the parasites and flushes them out of the intestines.
- Respiratory health: The Euphorbia hirta is famous for its action in relieving all kinds of respiratory-related problems. You can use it to clear the congestions of the airways. That is why it is called the asthma plant.
- Sexual health: For people suffering from sexually transmitted diseases, the application of the paste on the genitals will help to alleviate the symptoms of the ailment.
- Sexual activity: Cat’s hair is helpful to improve the sexual performance of the person. Use the Euphorbia hirta tea made from the dried leaves before going to bed.
- Gastrointestinal problems: It helps remove the pathogens from the intestines and correct the digestive function.
- Skin health: Use of Euphorbia hirta helps to improve the tone of the skin. Apply the crushed leaves on skin daily before having your bath to get the best results.
- Eye-related problems: It can cure eyelids styles and conjunctivitis due to the presence of substances that act against gram-negative bacteria.
- Controls bleeding: Apply it on the sores and blisters to get fast relief. It enhances the healing process and helps make the wounds better again.
- Treat fevers: Due to its antipyretic nature, you can use the extract of the leaves of cat’s hair plant to bring down fevers.
- Cure for sores and swellings: By nature, the Euphorbia hirta plant gives good relief for the swellings and sores. Apply the aqueous extract of the plant to the sores and watch them disappear.
- Help treat vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation: People suffering from ailments of the stomach can have the asthma plant for relief. It cures the motility in the intestines and improves the digestive function. Use the dry or fresh herbs to make tea to have twice a day. This will provide fast relief.
- Has diuretic nature: The Cat’s hair plant has diuretic nature. It helps improve the flow from the bladder. This helps remove the toxins from the body. You can use the preparation of the plant to get better bladder function.
- Helps treat syphilis: For people affected by syphilis, use of Euphorbia hirta will help alleviate the symptoms. Apply the paste of the leaves on the sores, and this will remove them.
Possible side effects of Euphorbia hirta
One must try to avoid consuming large amounts of the asthma plant. It has a depressant effect on the heart. It affects sperm motility. Always use the advice of an herbalist before you begin treatment. It may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal pain.
Making the Euphorbia hirta tea
This is known as the Tawa Tawa tea. One uses the whole plant to make the tea. Take 15-30 grams of the plant. Use 1 litre of water. After you rinse the plant, soak it in water for 10 minutes. Bring the water to a boil. Filter it and cool the residue. You can have this tea with one teaspoon of honey if you want to make it taste good.