There is no exact cause of migraine headaches. But it is believed that it happens because of abnormal brain condition causing a momentary alteration in nerve chemicals, signals, and blood flow in the brain. A migraine headache might be very devastating. In this post, we will talk about home remedies for migraine headaches in adults.
These are much common in women as compared to men, and three percent of people possess chronic migraines wherein they experience symptoms for around half a month for six months.
The existence of a migraine headache is very high, touching roughly one out of every seven individuals. It is unfortunate that a migraine is commonly misdiagnosed as a sinus headache or tension kind of a headache.
What Causes migraine headache?
Many individuals who are suffering from migraine can apparently identify causes or factors which cause the headaches. There are also instances wherein people fail to identify a migraine. Potential causes of a migraines can be:
- Allergic reactions and allergies might be behind your migraine.
- Bright lights, flamboyant noises, fluctuating lights, temperature alterations, smoky rooms, extreme smells and some specific types of odours or perfumes might be causing a migraine.
- Physical or emotional tension, stress, nervousness, excitement, or depression also causes a migraine.
- There may also be physical triggers like jet lag, tiredness, exercise.
- There is no doubt that alterations in sleep patterns or irregular sleep also contributes in migraine headaches.
- It also occurs because of smoking or simply exposure to smoke.
- Skipping mealtimes or fasting resulting in low blood sugar leads to migraines.
- Dehydration has also been seen as a major cause of a migraine.
- Of course, alcohol also has its massive contribution in a migraine.
- Then there are hormonal triggers like menstrual cycle variations, menopause, and birth control pills.
- Meals having tyramine like red wine, smoked fish, aged cheese, figs, chicken livers and some beans may also head to a migraine
- Different types of eatables like chocolate, peanut butter, nuts, avocado, citrus, banana, onions, fermented or pickled foods and dairy products also cause migraine headaches.
- Medication like contraceptive pill, sleeping tablets, hormone replacement therapy may also be the reason of a migraine.
Before dipping into the migraine symptoms, it is important that you understand that symptoms of migraine might take place sometime before a headache. Proximately before the headache, throughout the headache and after the headache. Although all the migraines are not really similar, yet some characteristic symptoms are like:
- Firstly, there is reasonable to severe pain which is generally restricted to one side of the head during an attack. However, it may take place on either side of the head.
- The pain is generally a severe, pulsing, sore pain.
- Increase in the pain during physical activity.
- Incapability to carry out day-to-day activities because of pain.
- A feeling of sick and physically getting sick.
- Augmented sensitivity to sound and light, calmed by lying in a quiet manner in the darkened room.
- There are also instances wherein various individuals experience different symptoms like temperature alteration, sweating, stomach ache and diarrhea.
- There are many people who experience migraines with airs or warning signs immediately before or during head pain. These airs/auras are perceptual turbulence’s like:
- Perplexing thoughts or experiences.
- The insight of odd lights, glittering or blinking lights.
- Zigzag lines or textures in visual arena.
- Blank patches or blind spots in the vision.
- Needles or pins in the leg or an arm.
- Sense of difficulty in speaking.
- Stiffness in neck, shoulders, or limbs.
- Unfriendly smells.
- Remember that all the symptoms like strange severe headache, loss of sensation or power, visual disturbance, and struggle with speech are all vital features. These should not be avoided at any cost. These can be really troublesome if avoided.
- When migraines with aura upset vision, the patient might see things which are not there like transparent strings of things, not see portions of the object in front of them, or even feel as if a portion of their field of vision appears, disappears and then returns again. Here, it is good to note that for different individuals, the auras function as a warning, hinting them that a headache is soon to arrive.
- The sufferers of a migraine also might have fore-warnings known as a prodromal, which can take place numerous hours or a day or so before a headache. Such types of premonitions might contain feelings of intense energy, elation, cravings for thirst, sweets, drowsiness, prickliness, or depression.
Home remedies for migraine headaches in adults
Pure cow butter
Take pure cow butter and put 2 drops in each nostril using cotton. It will cure this problem permanently. Follow this step for seven days. It’s one of the effective home remedies for migraine headaches in adults for quick relief.
Carrot juice + spinach juice
Mix half a glass of carrot juice with half glass of spinach juice. Consume this mixture every day in morning with empty stomach. Follow this for 1 to 2 months to cure a migraine permanently.
Take one tablespoon full of onion juice and mix with one tablespoon cow butter. consume this everyday for migraine relief.
Mix little saffron (Buy Pure Organic Kashmir Saffron Kesar) in some pure butter and smell it for few minutes. It gives you instant relief in migraine headache. This is one of the effective home remedies for migraine headaches in adults.
Coconut and Candy sugar
Take 25 gm dry coconut and 25 gm candy sugar (Misri). Consume these before sunrise everyday. It will give you instant relief in migraine headache.
If you have pain at left side, then put 10 drops of mustard oil in left nostril or if you have pain at right side, then put 10 drops of mustard oil in right nostril and smell it. Do this for 4 days. Also put few drops in ears. It will permanently cure this disease. It’s one of the effective home remedies for migraine headaches in adults according to ayurveda. Read mustard oil health benefits.
Lemon & lemon tree leaves
- If you have this problem for a long time, then take few lemon tree leaves and crush to make a paste. Smell this paste every morning.
- Consume lemon tea. To make lemon tea, first, make normal tea without milk. Now in place of milk, mix few drops of lemon juice in this tea and consume.
- The lemon crust is another effectual home remedy for a migraine. It possesses important anti-inflammatory ingredients, which make it an extremely effective cure for a migraine.
- This crust has to be a pound and turned into a paste. Then the paste has to be applied on the forehead. It will certainly cater great relief.
- You can also boil the crust with water and consume the mixture for numerous times every day for relief from a migraine. This is one of the time-tested home remedies for migraine headaches in adults.
Also Read: Health benefits of Lemon water
Put 2 drops of Garlic juice in the nostril of that side where you are having pain. If you have pain at left side then put it in the left nostril and if right side then put it into right nostril. Also chew 2 garlic cloves after every 2 hours and drink some water over it.
Apple cider vinegar
Being a nutritional heart, apple cider vinegar is very helpful in reducing migraines. Take one tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and mix in a glass of water. Mix in one tablespoon of honey. Consume this daily for migraine treatment. (Buy Pure Apple Cider Vinegar)
Also Read: Top benefits of apple cider vinegar
Peppermint can also contribute in diminishing your migraine issues. Take few Peppermint leaves, crush and smell for few minutes.
Juice of grapes is a very effective home remedy for migraine.
- These grapes juice should be consumed twice a day for comfort from a headache.
- One can grind grapes and add water to it and have it. The pain shall be relieved in a couple of minutes after its consumption.
Cabbage leaves are an awesome home cure for the migraine headaches.
- Just crush a couple of leaves of cabbage and bound them in a cloth and tie around your forehead as a bandage at the time of sleeping at night. It shall help muscles get relaxed and relieve a patient of headaches related to a migraine.
- You can take this treatment every time there is a migraine attack or even otherwise until a migraine ceases. This is one of the best home remedies for migraine headaches in adults.
Niacin rich foods
Niacin is an important vitamin that helps in restoring the hormonal balance in the body. It helps in limiting depressions. Niacin food is helpful in kicking off a migraine and linked headache. Within a couple of minutes, the pain gets relieved when taken.
- This vitamin is found in sufficient quantity in tuna, chicken, cremini mushroom, salmon, sunflower seeds, peanuts, bulgur, barley, asparagus, squash, green vegetables and tomatoes, liver, whole wheat, nuts and so on.
- Please note that niacin may result in liver or ulcer problems and so it should be consumed only in the modest quantities.
Other Indian migraine remedies
- You can also make use of ice-pack for migraine relief. It is perhaps the most known home remedy for getting rid of stress as well as headaches related to a migraine. Apply ice-pack around your head and neck for few minutes. Repeat this if needed.
- Everyday, before sunrise, consume one cup of grapes juice to treat a headache.
- Mix some Yellow soil with cold water and apply on the forehead for 20 minutes. It will give you instant relief. This is one of the time-tested home remedies for migraine headaches in adults.
- Boil few leaves of carrot for 10 minutes in water. Let it be cool. Then put few drops of this water in each nostril and ears. This remedy is so powerful that it can cure an old migraine too.
- Make a paste of Albizzia lebbeck seeds and mix some water in it. Now put 2 drops of this mixture in each nostril.
- Take some coconut water and put few drops of this water in both nostril.
- a Migraine is related to planet Sun. Take some boiled rice and mix with some curd and candy sugar. Consume this mixture in early morning every day.
- Mix some holy basil (Tulsi) leaves juice with same quantity of lemon juice. Consume this every day with an empty stomach. You can also make a paste of holy basil leaves and black pepper. Smell this paste for few minutes.
- If you carry out regular physical exercise, it might help you in reducing the frequency of a migraine. If you are getting enough sleep, you can get rid of a migraine. Try to reduce stress and migraine will wipe away too.
- If you are not having much water a day, it is important you do. Drinking plenty of water every day can keep you away from a migraine. Try to consume all types of food because if you are avoiding some certain types of food items, it can be an invitation to a migraine.
- The absence of meals can also be the reason for your migraine. So, the best remedy is not to go without food longer than three hours.
- If you have been consuming huge amounts of caffeine regularly, you are actually setting yourself up for the withdrawal headaches. It can rouse migraine center of your brain and turn it into migraines. So, it is important that you restrict intake of the same to two hundred mg a day.
- Just grab some relaxation techniques such as massage. It can comfort neck and shoulder spasms, whereas tai chi grows body awareness, making it handy to notice and treat an upcoming headache. Remember that yoga which concentrates on mindfulness like restorative and hatha yoga might also help.
Thus, you can treat your migraine headaches right at home if you carry these home remedies for migraine headaches in adults. Don’t get your headaches lightly, just focus and find out if they are a migraine or just a random ache.