Echium amoenum plant is an evergreen perennial which is small and compact. Red feathers puts out a mound of dark green leaves. In this article, we will talk about echium amoenum benefits and medicinal uses.
The leaves of this plant are linear and flowers are upright, russet colored that bloom in spring. You can deadhead them when they bloom again in summer. It is a good pollinator for your vegetable garden. This plant is short lived so leave some of the leaves behind for planting the seeds of the flowers in summer. It is hardy and does not need much care.
Common name of echium amoenum plant
The common name of this plant is red feathers. Other common names include bee flower and borage.
Botanical name and family of red feathers
The botanical name is Echium amoenum. It belongs to the Boraginaceae family.
Geological places where red feathers grows
This grows natively in the Caucasus Mountains of Iran. It grows at an altitude of 65-2100 meters.
Echium amoenum benefits and medicinal uses
Echium amoenum is an important medicinal plant in traditional Iranian medicine. It has a wide range of medicinal properties. Here is a look at some of them.
- Demulcent nature: The borage oil shows the ability to ease irritation and inflammation. If you have swellings due to insect bites, you can use the crushed leaves and flower to get relief. Apply the juice on the affected area and leave it for 2-3 hours. If needed, apply again.
- Analgesic: Due to its property of easing pain, the borage oil finds a use for people who have pain. Apply the oil on the affected parts and it will help relieve pain.
- Cure for cold: The red feathers oil shows antibacterial and antiviral activity. It also has anti-inflammatory property. You can use it for common cold and get relief. Boil a few drops of the Echium amoenum oil in water. Use this for inhalation and it will clear the airways.
- Anxiolytic nature: For people suffering from anxiety, use of the infusion of the flowers and leaves of Echium amoenum will help. Drink 1 glass of the infusion daily in the morning.
- Sedative: The extract of red feathers plant has calming effect and sedative effect. Take the infusion of the leaves and flowers before going to bed to get good sleep.
- Antioxidant property: It exhibits remarkable antioxidant properties. This helps prevent the onset of diseases and infections. Take the borage infusion often to remain free of diseases, coughs, and colds.
- Anti-febrile: Due to its anti-febrile nature, you can use the extract of the red feathers plant to treat fevers. Have the infusion of the leaves and flowers in the morning for the best effect.
- Antidepressant: Having the tea made from the leaves and flowers of the Echium amoenum plant will help to overcome depression. It will calm the mind and make the person restful.
- Ameliorant of heart and pulmonary disturbances: Disturbances to the breathing and heart function will disappear with the use of borage oil. Have the tea made from Echium amoenum daily and you will soon be rid of those symptoms.
- Diuretic: The plant shows a diuretic effect. It promotes the passage of urine and so you will get relief from a blocked bladder by having the infusion of this plant.
- Laxative: It helps promote the bowel movement. This will help people suffering from constipation.
- Protective factor against cancer: Extract of the plant contains contain flavonoids, saponins, unsaturated terpenoids and sterols. When combined with other anticancer drugs, it proves useful for fighting cancer cell proliferation.
- Hot flashes menopausal symptoms: Women suffering from menopausal signs such as hot flashes, dryness, pain, and insomnia will get good relief by using borage oil.
- Anti-inflammatory: People having rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory diseases of the bone will get relief by applying the crushed leaves on their bone joints. It will reduce the swelling and the pain.
- Infertility: It is said to be a cure for infertility though there is not much evidence of this medically. Crush the seeds and have it morning and evening and it will cure your infertility problem.
- IBS: Irritable Bowel Syndrome affects many people. The Echium amoenum oil helps control spasms of the intestinal muscles and so those with IBS will get relief.
- Eczema and rash: You can cure many skin problems with the borage oil. Apply it on the affected areas and you will get relief.
- Breast pain: You get good relief from breast pain by using the extract of the borage plant with your daily meal. Drink the infusion of the leaves and flowers daily for the best effect.
- Dry eye: This syndrome occurs when the tears are not enough to give the needed moisture. The use of borage leaves and flowers helps the person overcome the dry eye problem.
- Hangover: It is a good remedy for hangover. You can add a few drops of borage oil to lemon juice and have it the morning after. This will help you overcome the hangover.
- High cholesterol: People suffering from high cholesterol can use the red feathers extract with their meals to control it. The regular use of red feather plant extract will help decrease the amount of LDL cholesterol in the body.
- PMS: When one has premenstrual syndrome, they experience signs like fatigue, bloating, and irritability. By having a glass of the infusion of the leaves and flowers of the borage plant, you can overcome these symptoms.
- Adrenal insufficiency: This is a condition where the adrenal glands do not produce enough hormones. It is useful for sodium conservation, potassium secretion, and water retention.
- Diabetes and diabetic nerve damage: You can get control of your blood sugar with the regular use of borage. This way, you can avoid the nerve damage that occurs due to diabetes. Have one glass of the infusion daily in the morning.
Side effects of Echium amoenum plant
There are lots of potential side effects associated with Echium amoenum oil. Headache, rashes, nausea (having the borage oil with food lessens this symptom), and stomach upset.
More serious conditions include interaction with anti-clotting drugs. Unless the red feather plant oil is manufactured properly, it might contain substances that damage the liver. It is also suggested not to have this oil before general anesthetic.