Bryophyllum pinnatum is fleshy herbaceous plant which is perennial. The oppositely arranged leaves are relatively broad with scalloped margins. Leaves could form a simple one leaf, or compound, three or five leaves. The leaves are leaf-stem combinations called phylloclades. Here, we will talk about bryophyllum medicinal uses and health benefits.
The stems are upright and grow from 1-4 feet in height (sometimes more). They are glabrous and succulent. The leaves form as flattened and are 5-25 cm long and 2-12cm broad.
The stalks (petioles) are 2-10 cm long. These leaves have an oval or narrowly oval shape and rounded tips (obtuse apices). The terminal leaflet is significantly larger than the others. From the scalloped margins of the leaves, new plants form often on becoming detached from the plant.
Flowers bloom at the top of its stems in branched clusters. The color of the flowers is greenish-yellow to pinkish-red. The pendulous, tubular flowers are 7 cm long and form cymose panicle.
They remain arranged in terminal inflorescence in branched clusters. The stalks (pedicle) are 10-25 mm long. They are partially fused into a calyx tube that supports the four lobes of the petal (corolla). Flowering occurs in winter and spring.
The fruits have a papery appearance with a membranous look. It has four slender carpels that contain the seeds. These seeds are less than 1 mm in size and remain enclosed within the old flowers. Reproduction is from the leaves or the seed.
Chemicals present in miracle leaf plant
The bufadienolide cardiac glycoside causes cardiac poisoning, especially in grazing cattle. We have other bufadienolide compounds with medicinal properties such as anti-tumor promoting like bryophillin A (most effective), bryophillin C, and bersaldegenin-3-acetate (less effective).
One could see insecticidal properties in bryophillin C. It contains a fragrant oil that has mainly karvakrol. You get the glycosides of quercetin, fumaric acid, and kaempferol.
Common names of bryophyllum
The common names are cathedral bells, air bells, curtain plant, miracle leaf, life plant, green mother of millions, Katakataka, Pashan Bheda / Patharchur (In Hindi), Couelus and resurrection plant.
Its synonyms are Bryophyllum calycinum Salisb, Cotyledon pinnata Lam, Crassula pinnata, Kalanchoe pinnata and Sedum madagascaricum.
Botanical name or family
It has the botanical name Bryophyllum pinnatum. It belongs to the Crassulaceae family.
Geographical areas where Bryophyllum pinnatum plant grows
This is a native to Madagascar. It also grows in southern Africa. It grows in other parts of the world such as Macaronesia, New Zealand, parts of Asia, Nepal, Thailand, Pakistan, Egypt, Brazil, Polynesia, Galapagos Islands, West Indies, Australia, Hawaii, Melanesia, and Mascarenes.
In India, it grows in the Khasi Hills of Assam, Kashmir, and the Himalayan region. Cultivation of the plant occurs in Karnataka, Andhra, Kerala, and TamilNadu.
Bryophyllum pinnatum medicinal uses and benefits
The health benefits of bryophyllum pinnatum include many cures and healing properties. One can make use of the decoction of the leaves, the paste of the leaves, or the dried powder of the leaves in the medication.
- Get rid of kidney stones: To remove the kidney stones, you have a decoction of the miracle leaf twice a day. Top improve the efficacy, you add 500 mg of shilajit with the decoction. Add honey to improve the taste.
- Manage leucorrhoea: For women who suffer from leucorrhoea ailment, use the decoction of the leaves twice daily. It helps retard the flow of blood within the blood vessels.
- Treat piles at home: Drink the extract of the leaves twice daily to get an effective cure for piles.
- Good for the liver: The Bryophyllum pinnatum promotes the health of the liver. You can cure jaundice fast.
- Treat ear pain: Get a fast cure for your ear pain by applying the juice of the leaves.
- Cure boils: Crush a few leaves and form a poultice. Apply this on the boils. You can use this on redness and swelling of the skin.
- Helps heart health: It improves the health of the heart.
- Gives relief if you have headaches: Apply the crushed leaves to the forehead. This will give you relief from your headaches.
- Treat colds and coughs: For common cold and coughs, the juice of the leaves along with sugar candy will help. This can help people suffering from asthma also.
- Anti-inflammatory property: By applying the paste of the leaves on the place of the swelling, you can reduce it significantly.
- Relieves stomach ache: If you have a stomach ache, you can get relief from stomach pain by having the decoction of the leaves.
- Diuretic action: You can cure urinary disorders with the juice of the Bryophyllum pinnatum leaf. This is good for curing excessive thirst. Drink a potion of 40-60 ml every day in the morning and evening.
- Teething problems: Babies who are cutting their first teeth will have relief from the pain.
- Anthelmintic action: The Bryophyllum pinnatum helps remove worms in the intestine effectively. Have the decoction of the leaves twice a day with honey.
- Antipyretic property: If you have a fever, the miracle leaf will help relieve your symptoms. Find natural remedies for fever.
- Corrects dysentery: Have the leaf extract with honey to get relief from dysentery.
- Get rid of hypertension: Make an extract from the aerial parts of the plant. This will reduce the excessive pressure.
- Can treat cancers: The extract of the aerial parts of the plant will cure leukemia. Use 5-10 drops daily.
- Helps with weight management: You can lose weight by using the Bryophyllum pinnatum leaves.
- Cures bloody diarrhoea: Mix 5 ml of the juice of the leaves with cumin seeds. Add ghee and take this thrice a day. This will help control the excessive blood flow.
- Helps heal wounds: Tie the poultice of the leaves around the wound. It helps the wound heal fast and prevents scar formation.
- Prevents grey hair: Regular use of the miracle leaf will help prevent the greying of hair. It promotes the health of the scalp too.
- Good anti-oxidant property: Make tea with the dried leaves and have it twice or thrice a day. This will help you fight free radicals better.
- Helpful for diabetics: Control your diabetes with the Bryophyllum pinnatum leaves. Have the decoction twice every day and see your blood sugar levels drop significantly.
- Cures constipation: You can get relief from your constipation by having the tea made from the dried powder of the Bryophyllum pinnatum.
- Purifies blood: The miracle leaf has a purifying action on the blood. It removes the toxins and helps improve your health.
It has a pacifying action on the tridoshas. You can take the juice before or after food. By balancing the doshas, your appetite will improve and your metabolic activity will improve. It helps relieve spasms of involuntary muscles. It also helps destroy bacteria.
People use it on their skin for its astringent properties. It tones the skin, cures wounds, and causes contraction, so the texture improves. You can use it to get relief from pain. It decreases platelet aggregation and decreases the rate of formation of thrombus.
Excess of anything can prove bad. So, stop the use of Bryophyllum pinnatum if you notice anything unusual or adverse but never ever take any herb without the recommendations of an Ayurvedic expert.