Bloated stomach is a condition where you have gas build-up in the intestines. This causes much discomfort, belching, flatulence, distended stomach, and difficulty in breathing. Other conditions include pain in the lower back, heartburn, and vomiting. The causes are unhealthy lifestyle, eating too much, premenstrual syndrome, pregnancy, eating excessive salty food, and carbonated drinks.
13 Simple Home Remedies for Bloated Stomach
Ginger for stomach bloating
Ginger is renowned for its digestive action and prevention of inflammation. It helps remove gas in the intestines and increases the appetite. This is one of the best home remedy for bloated stomach.
- One of the best ways to have ginger is with lemon. Dip slices of ginger in lemon juice.
- Dip it in honey or squeeze the ginger and add honey.
- Have it before meals.
Also Read: Warm Lemon water benefits
Bay leaves are used in cooking for many reasons, but primarily for the way it aids digestion. It settles the stomach and stimulates urination. It helps settle unsettled stomach and upset stomach. You can add it to the dishes you prepare and it will give you relief from your upset stomach.
This is a potent preparation that has the three top fruits of Ayurveda – bibhitaki, amlaki, and haritaki. They help bowel movement and remove the left over undigested food in the stomach. This prevents the formation of gas in the intestines and bloating. You can have 1 teaspoon of Triphala with water before meals. This will cure your gas problem within a few days. This is one of the effective home remedies for bloated stomach.
Cinnamon cure many problems related to the stomach including aiding digestion and removing gas. It soothes the stomach and increases the appetite by stimulating the metabolic system. It decreases the secretion of gastric juices and pepsin from the stomach walls.
- The best way to have cinnamon is in powdered form with honey.
- Powder a 1-inch piece of cinnamon and add it to 1 teaspoonful of honey.
- Have this after your meals to help with the digestion.
Chamomile tea is one of the safest teas to have for relieving bloating. It offers the same benefits as aspirin and helps relieve anxiety and depression. It helps you when you have irritable bowel syndrome, colic, or diarrhea. Make tea with a handful of dried chamomile leaves (fresh is even better) and have it three times a day. This will give you relief from your bloating.
Fennel for bloating
A digestive cure for hundreds of years, fennel is one of the best ways to cure your gas troubles. It also helps relieve symptoms of heartburn. You can use both the herb and the spice, and you can add it to almost anything you eat, recipes, liquor, medicine, salads, and fruit drinks. You can also chew fennel seeds which is what people usually do after a meal. This is one of the widely used home remedy for bloated stomach.
Fresh or dried dandelion has mild appetite stimulating ability. It also has mild laxative properties and so helps relieve the gas. Dandelion improves liver and gall bladder function. It balances the blood sugar level. Dandelion leaves make a good garnish for your soups and salads. You can use the root and stem for making tea.
- Soak the dried root of the dandelion plant in boiling water and steep for ten minutes.
- Drain and add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink it both in the morning and evening to get the best results.
Probiotics is the method of increasing the helpful bacteria in the guts. This suppresses the effects of the bad bacteria that produce gas and infections. The most common type of bacteria is the lactobacillus species, Streptococcus salivariusssp.thermophilus, and Bifidobacterium. This provides effective remedy for those suffering from many other types of gastrointestinal problems. Yogurt, kefir, miso, sauerkraut, and tempeh are some popular probiotic food items.
Most of the Indian dishes are tempered with asafoetida, and this helps us have an easy digestion and be rid of the gas. You can add asafoetida in many ways. You can drink asafoetida water or asafoetida with ginger. This is one of the famous Indian home remedy for bloated stomach.
- After your meal, take one glass of water and put a pinch of asafoetida powder in it.
- Drink this, and you will not have any gas problems.
- Or, take 1 pinch of rock salt, add 1 pinch of asafoetida powder, and a pinch of ginger powder.
- Mix it in a cup of water and drink it after meals. This will prevent bloating.
One of the mainstays of Indian cooking, parsley helps fight gas retention. It removes excess water and salt from the body. You can use a simple method to deal with bloating. Steep some parsley leaves in your tea and be relieved at once.
Peppermint tea can help relieve bloating. But, peppermint can aggravate the symptoms of GERD and increase the heartburn. It also relieves arthritis, menstrual cramps, mental exhaustion, and headaches. Among the many ways to have peppermint, the most preferred ones are in the form of peppermint tea, peppermint candies, and as peppermint essential oil.
- You can make peppermint tea by steeping the leaves in hot water. You can make it stronger by using boiling water.
- Strain the mixture and add honey if needed.
- Cool it but drink while it is still warm.
Sodium bicarbonate which is more commonly known as baking soda will work wonders with the intestinal gas. However, one must use it with caution and use only rarely since having too much baking soda will lead to problems. This gives you instant relief from bloated stomach.
- The way to have it is by adding 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water.
- Have it after stirring the soda into the water.
This is one of the best ingredients for aiding digestion. Adding turmeric will help to enhance the action of the black pepper in removing gas and improving digestion. It also helps improve the respiratory disorders and give you relief from breathing problems.
- Add 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder to 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Find turmeric powder benefits.
- Add some cooking oil and heat the mixture.
- Mix this with any dish and eat it.
Finally, Excess of anything is harmful. Take the advice of a medical practitioner before you try anything new to treat bloated stomach.