Yoga is an ancient science of preserving the health through exercise. It cures many maladies and helps us boost the metabolic and immune system through stimulation of the internal organs. One merely should select the right yoga asana to get the right remedy. In this way, we can cure stomach maladies too. Here is a list of yoga asanas that help curing stomach disorders.
A Review of the Best yoga asanas for stomach problems
Chair pose – Utkatasana
Benefits of Utkatasana
This pose strengthens the gluteal muscles, quadriceps, muscles of the spine, and the hamstrings. It helps you develop a good posture and get strength in the legs. It strengthens the lower back and massages the abdominal organs.
Method of doing Utkatasana
- Start from standing position with the legs apart as wide as the hips.
- Stretch your hand out in front of you such that it is parallel to the floor.
- Push your buttocks down by bending your knees. You will appear to sit in a chair.
- Tighten your core and expand your chest. Push your shoulder blades toward the center.
- Exhale and tighten your leg muscles.
- Slowly sink deeper into the pose by bending your knees more.
- See that your knees are not going in front of your toes.
- Keep your eyes neutral and you can smile to relax the face somewhat.
Avoid this exercise if you have knee pain, arthritis, or pain in the ankle. During menstruation, do the yoga pose gently.
Knee hugging pose – Apanasana
Benefits of Apanasana
This wind relieving pose helps you get relief from bloating and stomach pain due to gas. It can help if you have indigestion, constipation, and detoxifies the entire body. You can relax the muscles in your back, neck and thighs.
Method of doing Apanasana
- Start from a sleeping position on the exercise mat.
- Stretch your legs and tighten your calf muscles. Push the shoulder blades against each other so you feel the muscles tensing.
- Bring your knee up to your chest. Grip your hands over the knees and pull them inward to your chest.
- Move your knees from one side to the other a few times.
- Stay for a few minutes in this yoga asana.
- Now, let go of your legs and return them to its normal position.
- Repeat as many times as needed.
You can do this asana if you do not have any injuries or headaches.
Sitting half spinal twist – Ardha Matsyendrasana
Benefits of Ardha Matsyendrasana
This asana improves the suppleness of the spine. It opens the chest and helps improve the breathing. The gentle massage of the digestive organs helps augment the appetite and increase metabolic rate.
Method of doing Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Begin in a sitting position with your legs stretched out in front of you. Keep the spine erect.
- Bend your left leg and place the left foot under your right thigh.
- Now, bend your right leg and put the right foot on the left of the left knee.
- Now, turn your torso to the right and place your right hand behind you. Turn your face to look behind you.
- Place your right hand over your left knee. Maintain the pose for a couple of seconds.
- Breathe deeply and release your right hand that you placed behind. Turn your waist and then your chest to the front.
- Now, bring your neck into straight position and sit in a relaxed way.
- Wait for 10 seconds and then repeat for the other side.
- Do not over-stress but concentrate on your breathing.
Avoid doing this asana if you have any kind of back problems or injuries to the leg.
Skull brightener breath – Kapalbhati pranayama
Benefits of Kapalbhati
This is the best asana for curing digestive disorders. You can get benefit if you are suffering from obesity and all types of disorders of the stomach. It improves the functions of the lung and the respiratory system. It helps to remove the toxins from the body and augments the insulin production. Belly fat will reduce naturally.
Method of doing Kapalbhati
- Begin from the lotus position. Sit with your legs crossed on the mat. Close your eyes and keep your spine erect.
- Keep the right palm on the right knee just as you keep the left palm on the left knee.
- Inhale deep and then exhale suddenly with force. Your stomach will go inside.
- Make a hissing sound as you exhale and think that the disorders inside you will come out through your nose.
- Be relaxed when you inhale. This action should be unconscious and automatic after every exhalation.
- Do this for 4-5 minutes and then wait for some time.
Anyone can do this asana easily. If you have any injuries or suffer from a headache then wait until you recover fully. Pregnant women should avoid this completely.
Diamond pose – Vajrasana
Benefits of Vajrasana
By doing this asana, you can cure acidity and constipation. It improves your digestion and brings stability to the mind. Vajrasana strengthens the sexual organs and increases blood circulation. It helps you overcome stomach disorders and back pain.
Do the Vajrasana for 15-20 minutes after lunch or your night meal. You can do this before you have your meal too.
Method of doing Vajrasana
- Begin this asana from the kneeling positon. Sit down on your heels.
- Stay erect and close your eyes. Keep the palms on the thighs in a relaxed manner.
- Start to inhale gently and then exhale slowly.
- When you exhale, think that the disorders inside you are coming out through your nostril.
- Do this for 5-15 minutes.
Avoid doing this exercise if you have joint pains. Try to use expert yoga guidance for better results.
Yoga poses for gastritis
Here are some simple yoga exercises and asanas to relieve gastritis. Improve the quality of your exercise by adding more nutrition to your diet.
This helps neutralize the gas in our body.
Method of doing Leg Circling
- Lie down with your hands palm downwards under your body.
- Lift both legs about one foot in the air.
- Rotate the legs one by one making circles.
This exercise release the gases locked up in the intestines.
Method of doing Leg crossing
- Lie down with your hands under your body.
- Lift the legs alternately one by one.
- Relax after you complete 8-10 repetitions.
Lifting of buttock
This is useful when you have accumulated gas in your body.
Method of doing this exercise
- Lie down on the ground.
- Press with your feet and raise your buttock off the ground.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Come back to original position.
This strengthens the abdominal muscles and helps remove the gas.
Method of doing the asana
- Lie down on the ground.
- Raise your left leg up at 30 degrees.
- Hold this position for a couple of seconds.
- Lower the leg and lift the other leg.
- Repeat as many times as needed.
This is an asana for stress relief. It rejuvenates the mind and body.
Method of doing Shavasana
- Lie down on your back.
- Keep the entire body relaxed.
- Close your eyes.
- Remove the force from the legs and hands through the fingers.
You can change the position to lie down facing the ground if you like.
All the yoga asanas have evolved over thousands of years. They are effective but their results may take time to manifest the good outcomes. Persist with the exercises for at least two weeks and check the results.