American ginseng is a perennial plant which grows up to 75 cm in height. The shoots are stringy with three compound leaves around the stem. Each leaf has 3-5 leaflets. These are 2-5 inches long. The ginseng plant grows well in the shade. It needs fertile soil. In this article, we will talk about American ginseng benefits, uses and side effects.
The fragrant flowers are small, white and green. The fruits have two seeds; they are kidney-shaped. The aromatic american ginseng root is fleshy. One cannot use them as a medicine until they are at least 5 years old. The flowering time is June – July.
The common name for this plant is American ginseng. Other common names are five-fingers, red berry and tartar root.
Botanical name of American ginseng plant
The botanical name is Panax quinquefolius. It belongs to the Araliaceae family.
Geological places where American ginseng grows
You can find it in the deciduous forests. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Tennessee have a good amount of American Ginseng. In India, you can see these trees in Himachal and Uttarakhand.
American ginseng benefits and medicinal uses
The American ginseng has beta-sitosterol, saponins, and tannin. It also has various acids, magnesium, zinc, vanadium and small amounts of germanium.
Polysaccharide glycans and ginsenosides are among the most important ingredients that give the American ginseng root its medicinal value. We get these from the roots.
- Use to treat anaemia: Having the extract of the five-fingers helps to increase the production of the red blood cells in the body.
- Helps boost the energy: The ginseng increases the energy in the person. Take ginseng daily at the same time for the best results.
- Regulator of the endocrine system: The endocrine system secretes enzymes into the bloodstream to help regulate the metabolic activity. The American ginseng tea helps regulate the amount of hormones in the body. This has a positive effect on the metabolic activity.
- Good tonic for general weakness: Since the ginseng increases the energy and raises the alertness, it is a good general tonic. It will increase the strength of the person.
- Helps people with rheumatism: Rheumatism is an age-related disease. Ginseng helps control the inflammation. This is helpful for reducing the pain.
- Use to treat adrenal fatigue: Adrenal fatigue can undermine the immune response and increase the stress build up in the body. Depending on the level of fatigue in the body, you might have to continue treatment for 6-8 months (minor adrenal fatigue) and 12-14 months (moderate adrenal fatigue). Panax Quinquefolius helps balance the hormones and decrease the stress build up in the body.
- Keep the blood sugar under control: Wild American ginseng helps protect the person against sugar level spikes when one has a carbohydrate-rich meal. It serves as a good substitute for conventional type-2 diabetes treatment methods. It has the same potential as insulin for preventing diabetes.
- Boost the immune system: The herb strengthens the immune system. Have 1 gram of ginseng root daily for the best results. It will help prevent infections.
- Treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome: The chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is an extreme fatigue condition that does not have any single reason. You get relief from CFS by having ginseng daily. It will boost the energy and relieve the fatigue.
- Soothing effect on the intestinal walls: If you have stomach problems, then the use of ginseng tea will help relieve the condition. Ginseng acts on to stabilize the stomach and increases the appetite.
- Adaptogen by nature: People who have ginseng often will have better ability to resist diseases. This is because the ginseng is an adaptogen by nature.
- Helpful for treating allergies: You can treat allergies by having ginseng. It helps fight pathogens and irritants that cause the allergies.
- Relief for respiratory problems: If you have asthma or allergies that cause the swelling to obstruct the air passage, you can get relief by having ginseng.
- Boost endurance and performance: Athletes prefer ginseng because it improves the stamina and strength. It boosts the performance.
- Improve the concentration: The ginseng improves the brain function. If you have ginseng often, you will be able to concentrate well.
- Treats night sweats: People who have night sweat will benefit by having ginseng.
- Helps normal brain function: If one gets confused, the ginseng helps them to orient their thoughts in the proper way.
- Reduce the stress in the body: If one has the American ginseng for one to three months, it seems to reduce the production of the stress hormones. It protects the hippocampus against stress.
- Helps regulate the strength of the heartbeat: This is due to the saponins. This increases when there is an excess of potassium. This makes the force of contraction of the heart muscles more. When the amount of potassium decreases, the strength of the contraction becomes lesser. Ginseng helps maintain the best levels and thus helps give the best strength to the heartbeat.
- Reduce the blood pressure: The action of the American ginseng plant in converting the Arginine, an amino acid, into nitric oxide helps to lower the blood pressure in the blood vessels.
- Prevent heart attack: The action of conversion of the amino acid to nitric oxide helps prevent heart attacks. This happens because a protein called endothelingets released. This protein helps prevent the constriction of the heart muscles during the heart attack.
- Helps ease symptoms of vaginal dryness: Women having vaginal dryness can ease their condition by having ginseng.
- Useful for people with bipolar disorder: When one has bipolar disorder, they have trouble keeping their thoughts focused. A regular intake of ginseng helps ease the conditions.
- A cure for impotence: Panax quinquefolius brings back the sexual desires, especially in men. Have the ginseng daily for optimal sexual performance.
- Improve the response to cancer drugs: When the cancer patients have their chemotherapy, the ginseng helps improve the reactivity of the drug.
- Good for treating cystitis: When you have bacteria in the urinary tract, you get cystitis. You can get a cure by drinking more water and going to the bathroom often. Ginseng helps fight the infection and flushes the bacteria out of the body.
- Used for relieving headaches: People get relief from headaches by taking american ginseng tea. It helps relieve tension and clears the mind.
- Relieve some of the symptoms of menopause: The usual symptoms of menopause are irritability, tiredness and laziness.When you have ginseng, you get an energy boost. It helps relieve your fatigue and makes you enthusiastic all the time.
American ginseng benefits are unlimited but side effects are not that much. Avoid having an overdose of Panax Quinquefolius for a long time.