What is a viral fever?
When one falls sick due to the attack by a virus, one has the viral fever. Apart from fever, the usual viral fever symptoms include a sore throat and runny nose. You also see vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle aches. Sometimes the person will also have a cough, hoarseness and an upset stomach. In this article, we will talk about home remedies for viral fever treatment.
The duration of the viral fever depends on the pathogen that causes the fever. The usual period for the fever is from two days to two weeks.
Home remedies for viral fever treatment
Anyone can get a viral fever with the changing seasons. We have many medications for fever, but unlike a fungal or bacterial attack, the viral attack is more severe. Treatment with home remedies is easy and effective. Here we see which ones you should use and how to use them.
1. Tulsi leaves for viral fever treatment
Tulsi has respect in Indian medicine for its power to heal. People worship it for this property. It is antibacterial, has fungicidal, antiviral, and germicidal properties. On top, it is an antibiotic.
So, you can add it to water and gargle to get rid of the germs and bacteria in your mouth. The antipyretic action of Tulsi helps make it one of the best things to have around the house.
- Use one litre of water to boil a handful of tulsi leaves with 5-6 cloves.
- Wait until the water reduces to half and then cool the water.
- Filter it and store it. Drink a half a cup of the water thrice a day.
- This will bring the fever down fast.
Also check: Effective cure for dengue fever treatment
The antiviral property of turmeric comes from the compound called curcumin. Curcumin is an immunomodulatory agent. This means that it alters the immune response of the body.
When it senses infection or inflammation, it will boost the immune response. It supports the release of inflammatory mediators to fight the infections.
When it detects autoimmune diseases or allergies, it will suppress the heightened response. This will help to control the symptoms. When it detects a condition that leads to fever, it will control the response to bring down the fever.
- You can have turmeric with hot milk.
- Add some peppercorns and cardamom pods.
- Heat the milk and add any sweetener.
- Use honey as this augments the medicinal value of the milk.
- Add some crushed ginger to enhance the digestive value of the milk.
- Drink this twice a day, and you will soon be free of the fever.
3. Coriander seeds
The nutritive content of coriander helps fight the fever. It removes phlegm and relieves the symptoms of a cough. Coriander has excellent antiseptic properties. It stimulates the digestion and rectifies any imbalances. This way it helps bring down the viral fever.
Other than the antiseptic nature, the coriander is also fungicidal. It is also an aphrodisiac, antiseptic, and natural stimulant.
Garlic has antiviral properties and helps to relieve symptoms of a cough and cold. It has plenty of health benefits, and so, it is the natural choice when one wants to cure some ailment. The medicinal property of garlic is due to allicin, a compound of sulfur.
- Chop a few cloves of garlic and sauté it on a low flame.
- Add some honey and have it twice a day.
- This will bring your fever down.
- Do this until the fever comes down.
Also Read: How to cure chikungunya fever?
5. Fenugreek water to cure viral fever
Fenugreek has substances with medicinal value in it such as alkaloids, saponins, and diosgenin. It has compounds useful for fighting a viral fever. It brings down the symptoms of the viral infections overnight.
- Soak a few teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Crush the seeds to a paste and mix with the water.
- Have this in the morning on an empty stomach.
- You can strain the mixture if you cannot stand the bitter taste.
The toxins accumulate in the body to cause the fever. Use of effective antioxidants will help flush these toxins out. You can use cinnamon as this is an effective antioxidant.
You can have this cinnamon in powdered form, as a decoction, or with juices made from fruits such as tomato.
It cools the body down and stimulates the person. The best way to have the cinnamon is to boil some sticks of cinnamon in water.
Cool and filter this and store for use through the day. Drink this three times for fast relief. You may also have cinnamon powder with honey if you have phlegm in the throat along with your fever.
This will clear the airways and make your throat clear.
7. Ginger and Honey for viral fever treatment
Ginger has health-giving substances that help prevent inflammations and fevers. It also exhibits antioxidant and analgesic properties that prove useful when treating a viral fever. Consuming ginger in dried or fresh, pulped form with honey helps relieve the symptoms of fever fast.
- Take two pieces of ginger about 1 inch long each and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add some fresh-ground pepper powder and mix it with the ginger.
- Now add half a cup of water and bring to boil.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey for taste and have it twice a day.
8. Rice water
When you have a viral fever, you must improve your immunity. Also, you must flush the toxins out. Rice does both of these. Known as kanji in Hindi, it has a diuretic function that improves your bladder function. The pathogens in your body will get flushed out soon.
Have kanji twice a day. The person with the fever will not have a good appetite but try to make them eat at least one cup twice a day. This will take care of the viral fever. This is a simple but effective cure for viral fever.
These are all home remedies for viral fever treatment designed for everyone and not one specific case. If you feel any adverse effects or the fever increase, stop using the remedy and consult your physician immediately. A few people may show adverse reactions to the ingredients used in the remedy.