How Superfood Almond and Almond Milk help to improve health?
Almond, a superfood, is a seed produced by a tree Prunus dulcis. They are healthy and nutritious even though they have a good amount of fat. Though native to the Middle East, people of the United States now produce the most almonds in the world.
Nutrition content in almond
- Calories 39
- Proteins (grams) 54
- Carbohydrates (grams) 53
- Fat (grams) 87
- Vitamin E (% of daily needs) 7
- Magnesium (% of DR) 1
- Riboflavin (% of DR) 1
- Thiamin (% of DR) 1
You should know that the phytic acid reduces the absorption of the nutrients especially magnesium, zinc, and iron. Almond milk cannot stand in as a replacement for cow’s milk for infants. However, almond milk has plenty of minerals and vitamins.
The number of calories and carbohydrates is low in almond milk. Due to its high fat content, you must add water to make it to 1% fat content. One cup of skim milk has double the number of calories as almond milk.
Sugar-free almond milk has only 1.5 grams of fat per cup. In comparison, low-fat cow’s milk has 12 grams of fat per cup.
Reasons to use almond milk
- For those who do not like the taste of cow’s milk, almond milk is right. It does not have any resemblance to the milk of a cow.
- Almond milk will remain fine without refrigeration unlike the milk of a cow.
- Making almond milk is simple.
- People who are allergic to lactose will love this. Almonds do not have lactose.
- It has lots of fibre. You need this for good bowel movement.
- Almonds promote healing and muscle strength.
Like all other foods, almonds too might provoke an adverse reaction in a few people. If this happens, discontinue use and consult your physician. These reactions could include nausea, diarrhea, swelling in the face, enlargement of the thyroid gland, abdominal cramps, and breathing issues. However, this happens only to those who have an allergy to nuts and almond. For the others, it helps make you strong.
Almond benefits to fight diseases and improve your health
The health-giving properties of the almond are either in the protection of the body cells from injury or in the constructive effort. For some cases, they help regulate the body activity and help with body health.
- Almonds have plenty of antioxidants: The outer brown layer of the almonds has antioxidants. It fights oxidative stress that causes damage to the body cells. This kind of damage causes disease, aging, and cancer. So, make sure to eat the almonds with their skin. A study conducted on male smokers found that the bio-markers for oxidative stress reduced significantly by as much as 24% when they took almonds for 4 weeks. In another study, eating almonds with the main meal showed a good reduction in the bio-markers.
- Lower the cholesterol level: This makes almond milk good for your cardiac health. Being high in Vitamin E and healthy fats, almond milk forms the ideal way to cut the cholesterol level in the blood. Almonds have 1% by weight of oil of which 90% consists of unsaturated fats. It has 69% oleic acid which contributes to the useful changes of blood lipids. In a study, they observed that when you eat 67 grams of almonds for 40 days, the LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) drops by 6%. The triglyceride levels drop by 15%. The level of the HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) rises by 6%.
- Magnesium is good for body metabolic activity: A deficiency of magnesium has a strong correlation to heart disease, and it does not matter whether you are overweight or not. High blood pressure is a killer leading to many health problems such as kidney failure, stroke, and heart attack. By correcting the magnesium level, we can avoid all these problems. Almonds give you 5.1% of the daily need in just 100 grams.
- Reduces hunger and promotes weight loss: A study conducted showed that people who eat nuts regularly noticed a drop in the intensity of their hunger. Eating nuts make the people feel satiated. You stop over-eating and thus drop excess weight from your body. In addition, the body does not absorb all the calories in the almonds. It boosts the metabolic activity. Their weight-loss friendly food helps to reduce cravings and augments weight loss. Eating a mere 3 ounces a day helps you enhance weight loss by 62%.
- Almonds have good amounts of proteins and fibre: The proteins and fibre content in the almonds helps keep the glycaemic index low and the energy level up. Fibre improves the movement of the bowels, and thus, helps augment the metabolic activity.
- Lowers blood sugar levels: The low carbohydrates level in almond milk combined with the high energy helps boost the metabolism. The low glycaemic index value helps you keep going for a longer time. You must opt for sugar-free almond milk or make your almond milk without any sugar.
- The best source of Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin needed for our immune system and skin. The recommended intake of Vitamin E is 6 mg/day for children aged 1-3 years to 15 mg/day for children aged above 14 years of age. However, this should never exceed 200 mg/day for children 1-3 years old and 1,000 mg/day for adults above 19 years of age. Vitamin E helps prevent diabetes, cancer, cataracts, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. Almonds are one of the best sources of Vitamin E for us.
Enriched almond milk helps improve bone strength. This occurs due to the calcium the almond milk manufacturers add to make it like real milk. For instance, the commercial almond milk may have 45-50% of the daily need of calcium. The calcium content in one cup of cow’s milk is 30% of the daily need.
Almond milk enriched with calcium forms an alternative for vegans and people who are intolerant to regular milk. One must have calcium to avoid the problem of osteoporosis.
Due to the high levels of healthy fats, people prefer to add almond to their diet. Like any other food, however, one must not overeat them. Give almonds (in moderation) to children as it will help control their cholesterol level. In addition, it boosts the brain development in babies.