Acidity or acid reflux is a term that is used for a bunch of symptoms caused by the extra production of acid by gastric glands of the stomach. The stomach usually conceals hydrochloric acid which is needed for the failure and absorption of food we consume. Acidity generates symptoms such as heartburn, dyspepsia, gastric inflammation, and ulcers in the stomach. Here, we will talk about home remedies for acidity.
Common Causes of Acidity
- The normal cause of acidity is a stomach irregularity known as a hiatal hernia. It takes place when the upper part of stomach does not move. It is a muscle which separates the stomach from the chest. Usually this diaphragm helps in keeping the acid in the stomach. But if a person has a hiatal hernia, acid might move up into his oesophagus and cause symptoms of acid disease.
- Acid reflux is mostly an outcome of various external factors such as eating habits, stress, fad diets, smoking and lack of physical activity, consumption of alcohol and irregularity in eating pattern. The cases of acidity are higher in the countries where people eat much of oily, non-vegetarian and spicy foods. Certain medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs also incline individuals to gastric acidity.
- Some other common causes of acid reflux are like:
- Consuming huge meals or lying down just after a meal.
- Being obese or overweight.
- Snacking near to bedtime.
- Consuming a heavy meal and lying on the back or bending over at waist.
- Much consumption of certain foods like tomato, citrus, chocolate, garlic, mint, onions, or fatty or spicy foods.
- Drinking certain drinks like alcohol, coffee, carbonated drinks, or tea.
- During pregnancy.
- Consuming ibuprofen, aspirin, certain muscle relaxers, or blood pressure medications.
Also Read: Constipation home remedies
Individuals suffering from acid reflux feel a scorching sensation after eating a meal. Acid belching is also normally seen. At times, indigestion and constipation is also seen in people suffering from acidity. The commonest symptoms of acidity are like:
- Stomach bloating.
- bloody vomiting or bloody or black stools.
- The activity of burping.
- Dysphagia which is a narrowing of the oesophagus. It forms the sensation of food getting stuck in the throat.
- Streak of hiccups which don’t ease off.
- Sudden weight loss for no recognized reason.
Acidity Home Remedies
Let us walk through some of the home remedies which will shake off your acidity or acid reflux.
Also Read: Yoga to cure acidity and acid reflux
Cumin seeds can be used extensively to treat acidity because the cumin works as a wonderful acid neutralizer.
- Crush some roasted cumin seeds to some extent and stimulate it into a glass of water. Drink it after each meal.
- One can also boil a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a glass of water, strain it and drink the water after the meal.
- There is another alternative, just blend one teaspoon of coriander seed powder, fennel seed powder, cumin seed powder and little sugar in one-half glass of water. Drink it when your stomach is empty.
Also Read: Bael medicinal uses
There is no doubt that cinnamon is good for the digestive health. It works as a natural antacid and is very helpful in dispelling stomach gas.
- Just add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a glass of water.
- Keep it for boiling and then permit it to steep for a couple of minutes.
- Consume this cinnamon tea twice or thrice a day.
- One can also add cinnamon powder to his or her salad or soup.
Also Read: cinnamon benefits
The calming and carminative possessions of basil leaves might give an individual instant relief from acid reflux, nausea and gas.
- If you have noticed any sign of acidity, just grab some basil leaves, and eat them. Make sure you chew them thoroughly.
- Another thing that you can do is, just boiling around three to five basil leaves in a glass of water and then allow it to simmer for a couple of minutes. One can sweeten such a basil tea with honey. But there is no need to add milk. Just sip it, and you will feel better.
Cloves can prove very helpful in easing acid reflux and dismiss gas because of their carminative consequence which increases hydrochloric acid in stomach.
- Just chew two to four cloves thoroughly so that juices get released into the system.
- Consuming crushed cloves along with cardamom mixed in equal quantities can prove helpful in minimizing acid trouble and refreshed bad breath which often accompanies such an issue. Find home remedies for bad breath.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Though it is quite acidic in its nature, apple cider vinegar possesses an alkalifying effect. So, it is helpful in treating stomach acidity.
- Just blend one or two teaspoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Then drink it at least once or twice a day. One can also drink it before meals.
Butter milk is also a simple home remedy for acidity. It possesses lactic acid that regularizes the acidity in the stomach. One can either buy butter milk or can make it himself too!
- Just grind half to one teaspoon of the fenugreek seeds along with a small amount of water to form a paste. Blend it in a glass of (chaas) simple buttermilk. Once you have consumed it, it shall relieve your stomach ache caused by acidity.
- And yes, you can simply drink plain buttermilk numerous times a day till you feel relief. Blend it in a little black pepper or a teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for finest outcomes.
If you really want to stay away from acid reflux, then you have to say no to the following items:
- Say no to chocolate because it contains caffeine and other stimulants such as theobromine which cause acid reflux. Moreover, it is high in fat that means it takes a longer time to digest and may activate acidity. Similarly, stay away from alcohol, Coffee Carbonated Beverages, and Tomatoes if you want to guard yourself against acid reflux.
Thus, once you apply these acidity home remedies, you can get rid of acid reflux. Don’t suffer when you have the option to recover!