Abutilon Indicum or Indian mallow is a perennial plant which has downy branches and hair on them. This under-shrub reaches a height of 1-1.5 meters. The leaves are simple, alternate, stipulate, broadly ovate, cordate at base, and 1.9 -5 cm long. They are also acute, irregularly and coarsely dentate. They have long petioles of 2.5-7.5 cm length.
Flowers are regular, orange-yellow, and bisexual, solitary and axillary with 2.5 cm diameter. The sepals are five in number with 5 fused lobes, and cup-shaped calyx. Lobes are shallow and apiculate. The ovary is superior and 10-capillary style. It has long tap roots. In this article we will talk about Abutilon Indicum health benefits and uses.
The common name for this plant is Atibala. The English name is Indian Mallow. The other names are Chinese-Bellflower, Kakhi, Kakahiya, Petari, and Kangi.
Botanical name or family
The botanical name for this plant is Abutilon indicum. It belongs to the Malvaceae family.
Geological places where Abutilon Indicum plant grows
This species occurs in tropical and sub-tropical zones. It grows in California, Arizona, and Kansas in the US. It grows in the southern states of TamilNadu and Kerala in India.
Abutilon Indicum health benefits
The roots find use in treating the following disorders.
- Muscular weakness: To improve the strength of the muscles, use the juice prepared from the roots of the Atibala plant.
- Nervous disorders: For people suffering from nervousness and nervous disorders, the decoction of the root of Indian mallow helps.
- Headache: Have the tea prepared from the roots of the Abutilon indicum to have relief from a headache.
- Hemiplegia: Those suffering from paralysis of the body will benefit by having the preparations made from the Atibala tree.
- General debility: It will help those who have a general weakness.
- Heart diseases: People suffering from heart diseases can improve their health from having the Atibala tree extract. It strengthens the heart muscles and makes the blood free of cholesterol.
- Paralytic disorders: People suffering from paralytic disorders will improve their condition by having Atibala leaf daily in the form of tea.
- Bleeding disorders: If you have bleeding disorders, take the preparation of the Abutilon indicum morning and evening. You will soon have relief from the symptoms.
- Debility after chronic disease: The Atibala plant gives one, good energy. If one is recovering from a disease, having the preparation of the leaves of the tree will help rejuvenate the person completely in a short tie.
- Facial paralysis: This is a symptom that the Atibala juice will soon help relieve. The way to get relief is to take the fresh leaves and prepare a tea with the crushed and dried leaves. You can have a glass of the tea twice a day.
The oil prepared from Indian mallow is beneficial in all types of:
- Muscular dystrophy
- Disorders of the nervous system
- Joint disorders joint pain
Primary uses of Indian mallow (all parts of plant)
- Antidiabetic and hypoglycaemic: The Atibala tree extract shows good sugar controlling properties. It brings down the level of sugar in the blood. You can have the tea made from the dried and powdered leaves morning and evening for best action.
- Nervine tonic: The health of the nerves improves by the action of the Indian mallow.
- Anti-inflammatory: The Abutilon indicum plant has good anti-inflammatory properties. You can apply a paste of the leaves on the joints where you have pain and inflammation and get relief.
- Cardiac tonic: The property of the Atibala plant to support the heart is well known. You can improve the heart health by taking the crushed leaves with milk twice a day.
- Anodyne: It helps improve the tone of the skin and improve the healing process. You can apply it to the wounds and bruises and get relief.
- Carminative: Get rid of all your gas problems by having the juice of the Atibala. This will stimulate the bowel movement, remove the gas, and give you good health. Have the Atibala extract twice a day for good results.
- Laxative: It stimulates the bowels, and so you will pass a motion with ease. This is useful for those who suffer from constipation.
- Antioxidant: The property of the Indian mallow to fight the free radicals makes it useful for fighting diseases like cancer.
- Hepatoprotective: The Abutilon Indicum shows remarkable protective nature for the liver. It removes the toxins from the liver and makes it healthy again.
- Antipyretic: It helps relieve fever due to its antipyretic nature. You can have the tea made from the dried leaves to get relief from a fever.
- Hematogenic: It is useful for augmenting the blood supply. It helps improve the blood cell count.
- Cough suppressant: The Abutilon Indicum helps open the airways and relieve the symptoms of asthma.
- Antibacterial: The ability to fight bacteria helps one to use it to suppress bacterial infections. You can use this extract as a mouth refresher also.
The Dominance of medicinal properties according to parts of the plant
Abutilon Indicum Leaves
The leaves show various medical properties such as given below:
Indian mallow Seeds
The seeds have good medical benefits also.
Indian mallow Stem bark
You can use the stem bark to help you with the problems. The various properties shown by the stem bark are as follows:
- Mucilage (extracted from leaves)
Abutilon indicum (Atibala) helps in the health conditions given below:
Brain & nerves: You can cure a variety of problems that affect the brain and nerves. These include the following:
- Facial paralysis
Heart & blood: You can cure problems with the heart and blood such as Rapid heartbeat and Cardiac debility.
Digestive health: People who suffer from digestive problems such as Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can benefit by taking Atibala.
Women health: Women use it as a uterine tonic.
People use Abutilon Indicum in India as a food supplement. It keeps the body healthy and helps them avoid diseases of the musculoskeletal and nervous system. One should avoid overdosing – the daily dose must remain less than 12 grams per day.