Abutilon asiaticum is a perennial undershrub grows to a height of 1-1.5 meters. It has finely downy branches. The leaves are simple, alternate, stipulated, and broadly ovate. It is 1.9-5 cm long and very cordate at the base. It is acute, irregularly, and coarsely dentate.
The long petioles are 2.5-7.5 cm. It has orange-yellow, bisexual flowers 2.5 cm in size. They are solitary and axillary. It has 5 sepals, fused into a cup-shaped calyx. It has long tap roots 1.5-2 cm in diameter.
The common name is Indian mallow or Atibala. It also goes by the name of Flowering maples, Chinese bell-flowers, Kakhi, and Petari.
Botanical name or family
The botanical name is Abutilon indicum or Abutilon asiaticum. It belongs to the Malvaceae family.
Geological places where Abutilon asiaticum plant grows
It grows in warm, temperate regions of India and the tracts of the Himalayas. It is native to Asia, USA, Africa, and Australasia. You also find it in Burma, Cambodia, and Bhutan. In India, it grows in TamilNadu.
Abutilon asiaticum medicinal uses for curing diseases
The part of the plant above the ground is used to make an infusion. The entire plant is uprooted along with the roots and dried. This is powdered and used for medicinal treatment.
In the olden days, girls were asked to consume a teaspoonful of this powder daily. They had it with honey for 6 months until they married. This helped them have a safe and fast pregnancy. For medicinal purposes, they use the flower, seed, leaves, and fruit of the flowering maples.
- Demulcent: If you have allergies of the mucous membranes or the throat, you can use the extract of the leaves of the Abutilon indicum to get quick relief. The extract forms a protective film that helps prevent the irritation to the inner lining of the throat.
- Elimination of thread worms: To kill the thread worms and prevent re-infection, you must use effective medication. Preparations of the Chinese bell-flower help eliminate threadworms. You must use the extract of the plant daily for 10 days to get the effective cure.
- Aphrodisiac: The Indian mallow is a potent aphrodisiac that helps improve the sexual desire. Have the decoction the roots before you go to bed.
- Treat colds and fevers: The Atibala plant has a potent antipyretic property. This helps it fight against fevers effectively.
- Laxative: By improving the bowel movement, the Atibala extract helps in curing all bowel problems including constipation.
- Help cure tuberculosis: People who suffer from tuberculosis will benefit by taking regular doses of the extract of the Indian mallow.
- Diuretic: The Flowering maples preparation has diuretic properties. This helps correct any urinary dysfunction and improve the flow of urine.
- Cure for diarrhoea: For those having a problem with diarrhea, the decoction of the Atibala will help a lot. Have the juice of the plant with the morning tea, and you will soon have relief from your diarrhea.
- Sedative: The soothing property of the Atibala will give you a good sleep and bring peace. Have the extract of the Chinese bell-flowers with a morning cup of coffee or tea to get good sleep.
- Deafness and ringing in the ears: This may occur due to a sinus infection or earwax plugging the canal. You can get relief by dropping the extract in your ears.
- Astringent: This helps dry out the pus and water. If you have pus in the wounds, you can use the Atibala extract to get quick relief. Apply the paste made from the powder of the Atibala on the wounds.
- Hypoglycaemic activity: The leaves and seeds show the property to lower the sugar levels in the blood. But, one must be careful not to use this along with other sugar control medicines as this may cause the sugar levels to drop to very low levels.
- Expectorant: You can get relief from cough using the extract of the Indian mallow. Have a glass of the decoction made from the roots of the Chinese bell-flower to get good relief.
- Helps treat mumps: If you suffer from mumps, apply the paste of the roots on the face and neck. Wait for ten minutes and wash it off with cold water. This will help to rid the symptoms of mumps.
- Use to treat pile complaint: You can treat bleeding piles using the Atibala extract. Have it morning and evening until you get relief from the symptoms.
- Tonic: Having good health nourishing property, people use the tonic preparation of it to get better health. Drink the tonic daily for best results.
- Anti-inflammatory: You can get relief from pain and swelling of joints of the bone as when one has arthritis by applying the paste on the joints.
- Improve the semen content in men: When you have Atibala regularly, you get improved semen content because of the aphrodisiac property. Take one teaspoon of the powder and mix it with a glass of milk. Drink this daily in the morning for best results.
- Analgesic: You get relief from pain when you use the powder of the herb. Drink it with tea, and you will become free from pain.
- Treat leprosy: People use this herb to treat leprosy. They take the extract of the Indian mallow daily thrice to get cured of leprosy.
- Ulcers: The Indian mallow is good for the digestive tract. It helps soothe the inner lining of the GI tract and improve digestion. Crush the roots or have the powder made from the whole plant as a drink in the morning and evening.
- Headaches: If you want a fast relief from headaches, you can have a glass of the decoction prepared using Chinese bell-flower leaves and seeds. It gives you immediate relief.
- Gonorrhoea: People with sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhoea can use the powder of the Indian mallow plant to get relief.
It is possible that one can consume the plant and not have any adverse effect if you use medicinal doses. Make sure the dosage does not exceed 12 g per day. Heavy doses of Atibala may have side effects, and they have not studied these effects. Do not use the extract of the Abutilon asiaticum during pregnancy or while nursing.