Ayurveda is a thousand-year-old medical practice followed in India. It is the sister science of yoga, the world-famous exercise and rejuvenation technique taught by the sages of India. Here we see the various steps one must follow to live a healthy life as per Ayurveda.
Ayurvedic Ways to Live a Healthy Life
Wake up early in the morning
This helps you kick-start your metabolic activity. The brain is in slumber and needs waking up. You must start with some prayer, so you are in tune with our body.
- Start the day with honey: Put a teaspoonful of honey in a glass of water. Drink this as soon as you wake up. Start the day on a sweet note. Sip water throughout the day.
- Follow Ayurvedic eating habits (detailed below). Begin the day with a morning walk. Take some time out to meditate. During this period, set your routine.
- Always eat fresh food; this is one of the rules of Ayurvedic practice of eating food. In the morning, have some sweet juicy fruits first before you take hot cereals. Take the fruits at least one hour before the cereals.
- Decorate the dining table and make the feeling special when you dine. Your meals must have a unique experience.
Make a routine
A routine helps you set the body clock. It helps your brain function by allowing the minimal stress for organizing your daily activity. The routine helps your cognitive functioning improve because everything remains ordered and sequenced.
- Exercise daily. It does not matter whether you exercise for an hour or for ten minutes.
- Keep to your schedule. Write notes often to keep your mind free of stress.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is an essentiality in life. When you sleep, your body caries out the repair work so that the body will remain in perfect working order when you wake up.
Use Ayurvedic detox methods
- Use the Detox methods often. See Vaidya every now and then; he will correct the imbalances of dosha that he sees in you. If you have a dosha and keep ignoring it, the problems will grow bigger.
Use healthy herbs
- Have herbal tea: Tea made with the herbs and not from the true cured leaves of the tea plant is herb tea. Each herb shows a different effect. For instance, hibiscus tea finds use to treat heart disease, decrease body temperature, and cure sore throat. Cinnamon tea helps control the bad cholesterol levels in the body. It eliminates gas and improves digestion. Find health benefits of herbal tea.
- Have Amrit: We call Amrit as the Nectar of Immortality. It has a host of health-giving properties such as enhancing longevity, improving memory, and sharpening the intellect. Amrit improves the quality of your voice and makes your speech more effective. It keeps the mind and soul youthful.
- Add turmeric, cumin, coriander, fennel, cardamom: Everything we eat becomes body tissue or ama – the unproductive waste that we must get rid of to keep the body functioning in a proper way. The power of Agni, the digestive fire we have determines how effective the body is in converting the food.
- Spices good for vata include fennel, black pepper, cumin, fresh ginger, basil, and saffron.
- For pitta use cardamom, fresh cilantro, fennel, turmeric, mint, coriander, and cinnamon.
- For kapha use fenugreek seeds, chili peppers, mustard seeds, black pepper, turmeric, and clove. Add the spices a little while before serving so that they do not lose their flavour. Spices also help a variety of physiological functions such losing weight and helping relieve gas.
- Reduce or cut sugar: Anise, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and fennel.
- Gas and bloating: mint, dill, fennel, bay, cardamom, cinnamon, and chamomile.
- Weight loss: cumin, mustard, cinnamon, black pepper, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, and black pepper.
- Acid indigestion or excessive digestive fire: Aloe Vera, cilantro, fennel, coriander, cumin, and licorice.
- Topical application of spices for inflammation and to reduce pain: Ginger powder and turmeric with rose water or plain water – apply on the place where you have pain or swelling.
Have an oil massage
- An oil massage for the whole body: Use the services of a spa or a practicing masseur to get effective massages.
- Use face pack for the skin: The different skin types need different types of face packs.
Sit with the legs crossed or in a chair and close your eyes. Let your mind dwell on a mono-syllabic sound. Clear your mind of thought and let the emptiness grow until the lightness begins to fill your being.
- Talk to a friend: Other things you can do is to converse with a friend on a subject you like and want to discuss.
- Bond with nature: Nature cures; spend some time alone with the flowers and the bees.
Ayurvedic eating methods
Eat only when hungry: This helps the timely secretion of gastric juices and digestive enzymes.
Eat on time always:
- Don’t eat until your previous food remains digested in full.
- Do not eat wrong food combinations.
Make sure the food (from the previous meal) has undergone digestion
- You should have clear belching – no foul smell of the previous meal.
- Feel stomach to be light.
- Eat a pinch of rock salt and ginger before you begin the meal – it will start the process of digestion.
- You should feel hungry and thirsty.
- You should feel enthusiastic instead of dull and lazy.
Drink lot of water: Try to drink plenty of water through the day.
- Food has six tastes – sweet, bitter, sour, astringent, pungent, and salt. The balanced diet should include all these.
Rules for eating
- Order in which to take – sweet, sour, salt, pungent, bitter and astringent.
- Speed of eating: Eat fast and you will eat more, eat slow and you end up eating less. Moderate eating speed is advisable. Slow eating speed needed for those wishing to lose weight.
- When to drink water – drink water between meals instead of after or before.
- Do not mix thirst and hunger: When you are thirsty do not eat and when you are hungry do not drink water.
- End the meal with a little milk, diary product, or sweet fruit juice to calm the pitta.
By practicing the Ayurvedic way of life, you become healthy and live a fuller life. For further information, consult a professional Ayurvedic practitioner. Also, include yoga in your life to increase your health.